Georgetown Post Game Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Georgetown Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
Absolutely. Hawkins confidence is soaring and it’s started when his defense and aggressiveness picked up
It takes some kids longer than others for it to click.
While I am surprised it has taken this long, once it all comes together it will be glorious. Today was a huge step in that direction.

Reaction Score
Ewing is a putz for pressing when Hurley put in all the subs.
exactly what juwan did against wisconsin and we all know what that lead to in the handshake line.

Reaction Score
Georgetown very bad. UConn very good

I hope that last 2 minutes doesn't impact any metrics. I think Kenpom accounts for games being statistically over, but the NET does take MOV into account
The end of the bench absolutely embarrassed themselves. Maybe people her can shut up about Diggins not playing. Gaffney of course had an ok game against a garbage team and people are again buying into his fools gold. Some people never learn.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Slow start to the game and not full intensity to start the second half, the rest of the game was pretty great outside of the last 2 minutes.

Cole was super smooth, Hawkins and Polley were both really aggressive driving. Everyone was looking for the open man with some really nice interior passing and some great cuts for scores. Super efficient game from Jackson. Not Sanogo's day, he simply can't pick up these silly early fouls going forward.

Ewing is a putz for pressing when Hurley put in all the subs. UConn could've called their score today and showed mercy. Danny will remember that but Ewing is gone anyways.
Why do you say that? Ewing was pressing much of the second half. If Danny is going to put in his Freshman then Ewing figures ok lets see how they do. Not so good. Ewing is trying to win the game against whatever team is put in front of his team. Also I would really love to see you call Ewing a putz to his face!!

Reaction Score
Or and I’m just spitballing here, maybe Adama can hedge without fouling.
It’s not an every game issue thankfully, but I wonder if Hurley would ever consider having Sanogo not hedge in the first 5-6 minutes of the game, just to make sure he doesn’t pick up that first foul before the U16 timeout.

Reaction Score
It takes some kids longer than others for it to click.
While I am surprised it has taken this long, once it all comes together it will be glorious. Today was a huge step in that direction.
I’m sure he was also extra hyped up playing back in his hometown as well. He likely had some family and friends at the game.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
It’s not an every game issue thankfully, but I wonder if Hurley would ever consider having Sanogo not hedge in the first 5-6 minutes of the game, just to make sure he doesn’t pick up that first foul before the U16 timeout.
Honestly this may sound crazy, but I like getting Adama off floor early and shifting Whaley to 5 , and having Polley or Hawkins come in. It helps our early offensive flow in my opinion . And then some great substitution rotations can start. I’m just of the opinion that while our starting lineup is very good defensively, we get kinda stuck offensively out of the gate frequently. Everyone knows we are dumping into Adama first 4 minutes of every game. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but I feel that when we get into rhythm with Whaley at 5, when Adama comes back in teams have a hard time adjusting because we’ve seemed to gain some rhythm.

I’m not a fan of all 5 starters playing first 7-8 minutes because then it seems that we get gaff/Polley/hawkins, with either Whaley or Sanogo , and Martin or Akok . And then that lineup coming in cold has trouble. We’ve been much more effective last 5 games because Hurley has been mixing and matching the starters better with Polley and hawkins, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they both have become more effective in that span. So sometimes ( like today) Sanogo’s 2 quick fouls are half a blessing, as it forces the mix and match to start sooner. We were stuck offensively the first 4 minutes today and then Adama got second foul and things started moving.

This isn’t to say Adama isn’t so valuable to this team, he is so valuable, on both ends. I just like our floor balance better when we are not doing hockey line changes, and running good sub patterns .

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yeah, if there was a drop in placement this weekend for UConn it was because of Gonzaga getting beat.

Our adj D went from (and I could be slightly mistaken here) 26 to 35. And then settled back down in the afternoon at 32. And our adj O went from 25 to 20 and settled in the afternoon at 21.

Edit: though our placement in adj efficiency stayed @ 19. Kinda wild how that fluctuates from one game - and especially from those last two minutes.

Reaction Score
We held serve. Had to win this game and it wasn't close... as expected. Good to have an easy one I suppose.

No much else to stress or think about

Reaction Score
Georgetown needs someone like Amaker. With his background, including the breakfast meetings, he would thrive in the DMV area. It would be hard not to see the top 15 kids wanting to commit and staying committed. Aside from Duke and Stanford, it is the best academic school playing high level basketball. With Coach K gone, I can easily see the cerebral coaching slot opening up there. It has everything it needs for support: local talent, national name recognition, huge tv exposure.
Amaker is a fine recruiter but has underachieved with the talent at Harvard. He gets outcoached by James Jones every year.

Reaction Score
Solid win. The D got complacent in the 2nd half and gave up points a little two easily. Thankfully, the O was humming, and G'town's D is awful. Thankfully, we could afford Adama's foul trouble. Cole is the most indispensable guy for this team.

Any word on Hawkins' or IW's injuries?

Reaction Score
Solid win. The D got complacent in the 2nd half and gave up points a little two easily. Thankfully, the O was humming, and G'town's D is awful. Thankfully, we could afford Adama's foul trouble. Cole is the most indispensable guy for this team.

Any word on Hawkins' or IW's injuries?
Whaley came back in and Hurley said after the game that Hawkins being held out was precautionary (barring further tests tomorrow/Tuesday).

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
191F6A64-E932-4052-B167-393B28EC05B1.jpeg

The points distribution is really impressive. yeah, yeah, I know it’s just Georgetown, but eight points or greater eight players deep? that makes for a team that is really difficult to stop

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Honestly this may sound crazy, but I like getting Adama off floor early and shifting Whaley to 5 , and having Polley or Hawkins come in. It helps our early offensive flow in my opinion . And then some great substitution rotations can start. I’m just of the opinion that while our starting lineup is very good defensively, we get kinda stuck offensively out of the gate frequently. Everyone knows we are dumping into Adama first 4 minutes of every game. Sometimes it works, sometimes not, but I feel that when we get into rhythm with Whaley at 5, when Adama comes back in teams have a hard time adjusting because we’ve seemed to gain some rhythm.

I’m not a fan of all 5 starters playing first 7-8 minutes because then it seems that we get gaff/Polley/hawkins, with either Whaley or Sanogo , and Martin or Akok . And then that lineup coming in cold has trouble. We’ve been much more effective last 5 games because Hurley has been mixing and matching the starters better with Polley and hawkins, and I don’t think it’s a coincidence that they both have become more effective in that span. So sometimes ( like today) Sanogo’s 2 quick fouls are half a blessing, as it forces the mix and match to start sooner. We were stuck offensively the first 4 minutes today and then Adama got second foul and things started moving.

This isn’t to say Adama isn’t so valuable to this team, he is so valuable, on both ends. I just like our floor balance better when we are not doing hockey line changes, and running good sub patterns .

You're hitting the right concept but the details are less important.

Before the halfway point of the first half, I want the opponent to have faced a lineup with both Polley and Hawkins on the floor with Cole and only one big on the floor for at least 3-4 minutes. Defending a Uconn team with Sanogo and Whaley is elementary with a good coach on the opposite side. Doing a Cole, Polley, Hawkins, Jackson/Martin, and Sanogo/Whaley is a stout 4 out, one in offense that most coaches aren't ready to defend against.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I agree. It’s weird that we may be a better offensive team with Sanogo off the floor. It opens the paint up for guys to drive and cut to the rim. Whaley does a great job passing and has range to extend bigs too. A lot of spacing on the floor and ball movement overall.

Plus defensively we get Whaley the best hedger ever back. Sanogo has to find a way make his teammates better linke Whaley does.

Reaction Score
Not to nitpick too much, but he makes a lot of bad plays that don’t show up on his stat line but should. Like the pass to Sanogo on the break today. That TO was 100% on AJ. No way he is a PG, people need to stop.
Part of being a coach at this level is to prepare players for the next level. AJ will be our point guard next year

Reaction Score
Our adj D went from (and I could be slightly mistaken here) 26 to 35. And then settled back down in the afternoon at 32. And our adj O went from 25 to 20 and settled in the afternoon at 21.

Edit: though our placement in adj efficiency stayed @ 19. Kinda wild how that fluctuates from one game - and especially from those last two minutes.
Which is why KenPom is not the gospel. He and his analytic systems are pretty great, but clearly far from the final word on a team. Because a 2-min stretch in garbage time against a scrub team should not have that much influence over an overall team rating that now spans 28 games and 3200 minutes of game play.

Reaction Score
Which is why KenPom is not the gospel. He and his analytic systems are pretty great, but clearly far from the final word on a team. Because a 2-min stretch in garbage time against a scrub team should not have that much influence over an overall team rating that now spans 28 games and 3200 minutes of game play.

I should probably rephrase the last sentence, think it probably had more to giving up a high 2pt fg% for most of the game / second half than the last two minutes.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

Agreed. I also keep saying that Akok is vastly better playing the 4 with Sanogo. So in your rotation he can come in when Sanogo comes in and Whaley sit. He's not a 5.

Hurley definitely leaves the starters in too long rather than rotating one of them out at a time. It leaves us too many lineups that don't work or are overmatched.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom