Gentlemen, guess what | The Boneyard

Gentlemen, guess what

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
When we play SMU again, it's at Gampel Pavilion, NOT XL CENTER ---- February 23rd, 2014 at 2:00 PM

HALLELUJAH!!!

UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you related to Sk8er Boi? Can you send my best regards?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Who is "we all"???

Many of us long time season ticket holders consider upcoming games vs. Memphis and Cincy to be "key games". Glad they're at the XL.
Why do you want to play those games at XL?

Reaction Score
Because I have had season tickets there for 26 years.
Because the XL/HCC has always been a great venue for the top games.
Because I like to eat and drink downtown with my fellow friends/fans.
Your priorities are in order! Agree wholeheartedly!

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Hold on, SMU is a key game? Holy , expectations are low.
Well they're currently a tournament team so...yeah...they're a key game... Just like any other year.

The Boneyard is really the worst sometimes.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well they're currently a tournament team so...yeah...they're a key game... Just like any other year.

The Boneyard is really the worst sometimes.

Really, SMU is one of 65 teams and you are all worried about them? I think it's YOU that makes the BY the worst. Houston beat us the first time, what happened the second time? The AAC has gotten into your head. Yeah, we get powerhouse SMU at Gample, maybe we'll win, oh boy.

Reaction Score
Really, SMU is one of 65 teams and you are all worried about them? I think it's YOU that makes the BY the worst. Houston beat us the first time, what happened the second time? The AAC has gotten into your head. Yeah, we get powerhouse SMU at Gample, maybe we'll win, oh boy.

I'll take your tickets for all the other games and you can keep the ones for games you deem to be "key" like uhhhh Kansas or something.

I think playing and beating any team that's a tourney team should be key. It boosts our resume. Now on the merits of gampel vs xl I could care less.

Reaction Score
I'll take your tickets for all the other games and you can keep the ones for games you deem to be "key" like uhhhh Kansas or something.

I think playing and beating any team that's a tourney team should be key. It boosts our resume. Now on the merits of gampel vs xl I could care less.

But that's the point. The OP is excited because we get the "advantage" of playing at Gample, like SMU is Duke or Arizona...

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
But that's the point. The OP is excited because we get the "advantage" of playing at Gample, like SMU is Duke or Arizona...
I'm under the impression the players prefer playing at Gampel vs. the XL. That means Gample starts off holding an advantage to win a game. Unless someone can prove that there is no such thing as a home court advantage, then Gample should be the preference of venues. The advantage isn't huge, but every advantage should be taken in an ideal world. The only reason to go to XL is to increase revenues and fan excitement because the XL is larger and more centrally located. And it is prudent for universities to increase revenues so long as it doesn't severely impact team performance. Otherwise they'd be shooting themselves in the foot.

No matter which venue is chosen, the fans need to make a statement.

There is a lot of parity in college bb. I don't care what the team is that UConn is playing. On any given day UConn, or any university, can lose to any team. SMU is not Duke. However this season they are almost comparable.

As far as the AAC goes, it actually is a decent conference this season. How things go in the future is unknown. I don't think it will ever be as bad as the SEC for basketball, not as long as you have a nucleus of UConn, Memphis, Cincy, and Temple. But I can say this. If people start off with negative impressions about UConn's circumstances, they aren't helping the situation. If the players go into a game with a bad attitude the outcome is likely to be less favorable than if they start out with a good attitude. This isn't about you colardohusky but there are people who would criticize the team if they didn't come out with energy. But they don't see anything wrong when they become energy vampires. It's a classic case of do as I say and not as I do.

Reaction Score
Hold on, SMU is a key game? Holy , expectations are low.

SMU today is a tournament team. I know, hard to believe right? But look at their win-loss (17-5) and their RPI (48). SOS is only 114, but probably will improve as they play Cincy, Louisville, UConn, and Memphis one more time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I don't mind the XL when it's packed. When it is 10k crowd, I wonder if it is worth the $40K (or is it $60K?) cost for the place. I will say that Gampel looks and sound better on TV. I think we are going to end up with fewer games at XL, or a much better deal to play there.

A little off topic, but anyone have any idea when they are going to fix roof at Gampel. I'm guessing that it will happen after the practice facility is built. The brick facing is going up by the way. Still a lot to do but it looks like it will be ready by the Spring deadline.

Reaction Score
Because I have had season tickets there for 26 years.
Because the XL/HCC has always been a great venue for the top games.
Because I like to eat and drink downtown with my fellow friends/fans.
Good comment here, just realize the OP may have been to a.... game in Hartford. Just signed on here last week and is now an authority on our venues of decades. Comes across as a freshman needing to understand the big picture. Just a guess but his "we" are fellow students which obviously have a better or maybe easier time for on campus games ...

Reaction Score
Gampel DOES provide more of a home court advantage. I live 10 minutes from the XL Center and 35 minutes from Gampel. I have had season tickets for many years at both places. There is no doubt in my mind that Gampel provides the team with a better home court advantage.Coach Calhoun and Shabazz have both been quoted as saying they prefer the games at Gampel. I will gladly make the longer drive to see a game where the team has its best chance of winning.

The XL Center was a decent homecourt in the 80's and early 90's. Those days are long gone.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Gampel DOES provide more of a home court advantage. I live 10 minutes from the XL Center and 35 minutes from Gampel. I have had season tickets for many years at both places. There is no doubt in my mind that Gampel provides the team with a better home court advantage.Coach Calhoun and Shabazz have both been quoted as saying they prefer the games at Gampel. I will gladly make the longer drive to see a game where the team has its best chance of winning.

The XL Center was a decent homecourt in the 80's and early 90's. Those days are long gone.

We're so spoiled. There's probably 275+ programs that would love to have a home court like the XL Center. For example I've gone to Nova games at the old Spectrum and at the Wells Fargo Center in Philly. I've been to UConn/Nova games there that we're absolutely dead... worse than any game in Hartford. For the record I'd rather a top 25 opponent at Gampel but Hartford is still pretty damn good for a college program.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom