Geno's stance against bad officiating | The Boneyard

Geno's stance against bad officiating

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I think it's a good thing what Geno is doing, even though I thought his timing in the SC game was poor. The teams, fans, and the sport itself, are hurt by poor and inconsistent officiating. It's damaging WCBB in the worst way, because it desecrates the principles of the game, and it weakens the legitimacy of the outcomes of so many contest.

At times it seems as if the NCAA's standard of officiating is derived from the WWF, not from serious sports that take quality officiating seriously. The goal of the officials should always be to get every call right. And it appears to be in every sport I can think of except WCBB where it seems as if that foundational principle is ignored. When the refs huddle, it should be to collaborate in making the right call, not show who's boss. And the job of the officials is to apply the rules in letter, but also in spirit and intent. It should never be to even out the score.

This sport is being held back because of horrific officiating, and I applaud Geno for finally bringing it out in public. Unfortunately, if WCBB wants to improve it's officiating, maybe it needs to convince the NCAA to put all referees into one pool and assign them to games regardless of the gender of the participants. If not this, then at least insist on a higher standard of performance beyond what we are getting, and takes the steps necessary to achieve it. Otherwise, the sport, it's players, coaches and fans will all continue to be cheated.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think it's a good thing what Geno is doing, even though I thought his timing in the SC game was poor. The teams, fans, and the sport itself, are hurt by poor and inconsistent officiating. It's hurting WCBB in the worst way, because It's desecrates the principles of the game, and weakens the legitimacy of the outcomes of so many contest. At times it seems as if the NCAA's standard of officiating is derived from the WWF, not from serious sports that take quality officiating seriously. The goal of the officials should always be to get every call right. And it appears to be in every sport I can think of except WCBB where it seem as if that foundational principle is ignored. When the refs huddles, it should be to collaborate in making the right call, not show who's boss. And the job of the officials is to apply the rules in letter, but also in spirit and intent. It should never be to even out the score.

This sport is being held back because of horrific officiating, and I applaud Geno for finally bringing it out in public. Unfortunately, if WCBB wants to improve it's officiating, maybe it needs to convince the NCAA to put all referees into one pool and assign them to games regardless of the gender of the participants. If not this, then at least insist on a higher level beyond what we are getting, and takes the steps necessary to achieve it. Otherwise, the sport, it's players, coaches and fans will all continue to be cheated.
As someone who has pretty much checked out from the women's basketball scene despite having gone to NCAA tournament games many years ago and probably watching every game most seasons back then, I ask you is the officiating truly that bad on the Women's side?
Can you provide some examples? Thanks.

caw

Reaction Score
err, I agree but wrong forum?

It's been a problem in college sports for years. You think the BE is bad or national games. Imagine being a low-major team. There are not enough good refs in either men's, or women's college ball for even the P6 games.

Reaction Score
Huskybass, Yes! YES!
Examples? After 6000 posts? Seriously? Watch games between high ranked teams, which should be getting top officials. Bad officiating doesn't effect just UConn, it hurts everyone, and the sport.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
err, I agree but wrong forum?

It's been a problem in college sports for years. You think the BE is bad or national games. Imagine being a low-major team. There are not enough good refs in either men's, or women's college ball for even the P6 games.
Pro sports gets the best officials. Then comes college sports. Also, some sports are tougher to officiate, and basketball is arguably the toughest because of the speed, 3-dimensional play area, close quarters, and incidental contact. Mistakes will be made, but the goal should be to get the calls right. How often do you see the refs go to the monitors, appear to discuss, and then stay with a bad call that the video showed was bad? It happens a lot, which means getting the call right is not priority one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes! YES!
Examples? After 6000 posts? Seriously? Watch games between high ranked teams, which should be getting top officials. Bad officiating doesn't effect just UConn, it hurts everyone, and the sport.
I only ask because when I used to pay attention to the women's game it seemed like the referees did a very solid job. But that was a number of years ago.

Reaction Score
I only ask because when I used to pay attention to the women's game it seemed like the referees did a very solid job. But that was a number of years ago.
Oh, I see. Bad call don't bother me as much as not seeing a priority placed on getting the calls right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom