Geno's Greatest Coaching Job Ever? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno's Greatest Coaching Job Ever?

Reaction Score
Natalie has had very few meaningful minutes here entire time at Uconn. Prior to the other night she had no meaningful minutes in the tournament. How can a player develop under those circumstances. I would have liked to see her in the game trying to counter their size advantage. Conversely, Crystal Dangerfield slowed our offense to a crawl when she was in the game and played her usual poor defense, yet she got significant minutes, as she has all year.
Don't know why you couldn't plead Natalie's case without dragging another player down.

Reaction Score
Long time Husky fans will certainly dispute my premise that this season was Geno’s greatest coaching job ever, as well they should, but I will make the case and look forward to everyone’s critiques.

UConn has a great history of AA guards and wings: Jen, Svetlana, Shea, Renee, Sue, DT, Maya & Mo to name a few. But the strength of all of UConn’s championship teams, with the possible exceptions of DT’s last 2, has been great frontcourt players who played tough defense and rebounded relentlessly at both ends of the court: Rebecca, Kara, Tamika, Asia, Swin, Tina, Steph, Kiah, Stewie & Tuck to name a few.

Geno knew that fact as well as anyone when he told the team before their 1st game, “We don’t have anyone as long as Stewie or as wide as Tuck this season, so we’re going to have to do other things to defend opposing post players.” Geno also knew that he had only four returning players that he could count on and that “big game” experience was also in short supply. When Geno stated clearly on numerous occasions that this team was going to lose a few games, he was speaking the absolute truth as he saw it.

Geno being Geno, he wasn’t going to roll over and accept losses without a fight, so he put together a team of 2 pg’s, one 2-guard (Gabby) & 2 wings, with no true center or power forward. He did his best to develop some kind of a bench, finally got steady play from a little-used senior guard and threw every defensive scheme he could think of at a succession of big, deep & talented teams on UConn’s schedule. Throughout the season, Geno talked about, “Hiding this team’s weaknesses.” For the most part, UConn’s game planning, strategy and execution was flawless throughout the season as the Huskies took down all comers, surprising everyone including their head coach.

Fast forward to Friday night vs MS St, basically the same team UConn blew out by 60 last year. Friday afternoon I watched last year’s blowout again and what I saw was Tuck using her strength, footwork and smarts to prevent McGowan & Okori from getting anywhere near the glass and Stewie roaming the base line to reject shot after shot when one of the Bulldogs athletic wings or guards beat a Husky defender off the dribble.

On Friday night, the Huskies came within one play of beating MS St, but all those weaknesses that Geno, his coaches and the team had masked so brilliantly throughout the season were exposed by Vic Schaefer and his big, deep and talented team. UConn got beaten up on the boards, particularly in the 1st half. The bench provided very little support so UConn was basically limited to their starting 5 on the floor for most if not all of the 45-minute game. Throughout the game and down the stretch, UConn did not execute well the many plays that could have put them in the finals, demonstrating, as Geno indicated that they weren’t “mature enough yet to handle those situations.”

In hindsight, it is absolutely amazing that this Husky team beat the teams they beat to finish the season at 36-1, one play short of the national championship game. IMHO, this was Geno’s greatest coaching job ever. He has set up the foundation for next year’s team and beyond, when the cavalry arrives and UConn will be incredibly talented, big enough to match opponents with size and deep enough to play pressure defense for 40 minutes. It’s should be a beautiful thing to watch.

oLD DUDE---I just read this posting again--you are always soo good they are usually worth reading again.
I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD--
I suggested Maya-s year--no one on this years team (at this point) has/had Maya's talent, close but no cigars.
Exclude if you want---(not you old dude) --the Miss St game--the starting 4 or 5 in the third quarter after Geno's half time
fixes--the team came out scoring and put 20 points on the board and tied the game. Uconn in the 4th quarter had wide open shots and missed them, foul shots they either missed one or both--rarely missed one prior to that--That has nothing to do with coaching an a bit of the jitters of being on the biggest stage with one game to go--nerves Jitters--No coach could , in the moment, correct that issue--it may never happen again--or who knows.
I AGREE.

Reaction Score
Following up on your post, one thing I've been struck by this season is both the quality and quantity of big, talented post players in WBB. I knew that top teams like ND, MD, TX, tOSU, MSU, SC and Baylor had exceptional post players, but when you start looking around the country many 2nd tier teams have one or more talented posts 6'4" or better. Teams like KSU, Duke, NC, TN, SMU and just about every team in the Pac12 have BIGS who can play.

Oregon wasn't even on my radar until after they stunned MD, but there they were in the Elite 8 game vs the Huskies with a pair of talented freshmen starters at 6'4" & 6'5".

I think we've reached a transitional point in WBB where any team is going to need 1 and probably 2 or more big, athletic post players to win a national championship.

As for UConn, they will always get their share of talented guards and wings that Geno will turn into AA's and WNBA stars, but the recruiting battle for bigs is going to determine who wins championship. Over the next few seasons UConn should be well stocked with Z, Batouly & Charli Collier, but it sure would have been nice if Wilson and/or Cox had decided to come to Storrs.

Good points. Looking at WCBB for next year, there are a LOT of returning starting and contributing players on a lot of teams. It should be an exciting season for the sport. I have no idea if that quality/depth is a result of UConn's sustained excellence or not, but I hope that the level of competition will tamp down the "UConn is bad for the game" rhetoric!

Reaction Score
I would agree unconditionally if you included only everything up until Friday night. If you include Friday night, then the assessment becomes more complicated, as Geno's performance during the semi-final was far from his finest hour. Like anyone, Geno has strengths and weaknesses. And what we saw during games like FSU, Baylor and now MSU, is that late in-game coaching when the score is close is a skill that Geno could improve on. These situations call for more than just the pushing of emotional buttons, such as "Win this game for us, Crystal!" They require the timely and proper emphasis of fit for purpose tactics around things like controlling game tempo, timing on fouls to give, and shot clock management. He needs to be actively shepherding his team to victory, instead of sitting back to see if they can apply the things they've learned in practice more or less on their own.

The bigger picture here is that Geno and his staff need to go back and reassess their overall approach to the game. The formula for beating UConn is now out there, laid bare for all to see. You slow game pace down to limit the number of their offensive possessions, and you use pressure defense against the guards in particular to pin them up near the center line, and disrupt the perimeter passing game. Every team, especially the good ones, are going to be using this formula against UConn next year. Geno needs to recognize this, and come up with countermeasures. It won't be hard. Look, I'm a huge believer that a passing offense is better than a dribble offense, but it has its limits. UConn players need to be encouraged to further develop their one-on-one skills, so that when needed, they can also play the type of game that South Carolina used last night to dismantle Mississippi State.

I agree with your assessment of Geno---he personally has many weaknesses. He's human and has all of our flaws. The admonition to Crystal, while she was "feeling it" and in a zone--is standard Geno--and it worked. This team with all it's warts--that are widely known around the WBB circuits--fouls, illness, injury, no bench, small very very small in the post--that's what Geno had and he made it work.
Anyone using the "formula" again next year shall be in for a terrible beating--they are getting a tremendous scorer wing, Azura six ft six inches --fixes the small post--Batuoly, adds depth in the small post--if the Frosh are not driven into in action by their "lack of defense" (a Geno weakness) they will play and add firepower to the team. A short bench will not be a factor.

I have followed Geno for many many years--early on I could email him directly--and offered similar suggestion--with my vast superior Basketball knowledge--he never followed one word---and so it is I BROADWAYVA that made him successful---can you image where he'd be had he followed my suggestions???

Wally East

Posting via the Speed Force
Reaction Score
I think we've reached a transitional point in WBB where any team is going to need 1 and probably 2 or more big, athletic post players to win a national championship.

I think we've been there for a while. Other than 2002, which featured a remarkable trio of players that were all 6'2, UConn has had centers at least as big and as good as Jess Moore on every title team: Rebecca and Kara, Schuey, Jessica Moore, Tina, Steph, Breanna and Mogan.

That said, I think if you left this current team in place and put them out on the floor next season, they could win a title.

Reaction Score
I think we've been there for a while. Other than 2002, which featured a remarkable trio of players that were all 6'2, UConn has had centers at least as big and as good as Jess Moore on every title team: Rebecca and Kara, Schuey, Jessica Moore, Tina, Steph, Breanna and Mogan.

That said, I think if you left this current team in place and put them out on the floor next season, they could win a title.

If you left this team in place, without transfers, and the recruits coming in---Kyla stepping up, Molly becoming a player, Danger being the Danger recruited , Walker, Alesi, AEH are all they were built up to be--first year out. I think Uconn could take it all without Azura and Batuloy--but with the transfers --I feel more confident--as we have seen nothing in BB is ordained. Even Baylor lost getting to the title even with Griner and sims and Davis--height and top talent --but the BB gods were angry.

Reaction Score
On whether this was Geno's best job? I do not know.....

But a constant thought these past couple of days.... of appreciation....

Geno and Chris started this whole thing in the mid 80s..... in 10th year had their first national championship..... they have run a model program with few bumps along the way.... and have produced fine young ladies from their program.... 11 national championships.... highest winning percentage in WCBB history, etc etc etc..... I do not think there is one figure in the women's game that is not owned by UConn (well, yes Pat's 1098 victories).... They have done all of this in only 32 years.... Tara's and Pat's tenures, for instance, were significantly longer than that....

I reflect on this as I look at the other school's message boards, where Geno is not referred to in very polite terms.... Partisanship is one thing, but to refer to him in vile disgusting terms on a personal level and a cheater on professional level is totally out of bounds.... especially absent of fact.... his record speaks for itself.... I think to myself... I have not attacked other coaches as others have gone after us... specifically Geno, but I suppose that is what happens when you win too much.... I really started to think of this on Friday night when the gracious nature of our fans really came out.... one can say it is easy when a program wins so much.... easier to accept a defeat... but i like to think that CT fans are the best and would have responded well no matter the circumstances... .... it showed this weekend after Mississippi State victory.....

Yes I am saying this in appreciation of our wonderful coaching staff and good manners and appreciation on behalf of our fan base.

Another thing i was thinking of relative to our coaching staff ..... we have built a dominant program and run up the numbers relative to all competition in an era when WCBB is really a lot more competitive than it had been.... we are not beating the Old Dominions, Delta States and Immaculatas, we are taking on a much better bevy of teams.... Notre Dame... Baylor, South Carolina, Maryland.... the best!!!! and faring well.... that deserves mention... I am not tearing down other programs with critique (aside from personal disgust at personal attacks and unproven charges against our coach) .... I am just saluting our coaches and thanking them for the wonderful job they have done.....

We did indeed lose Friday to a great Miss State performance.... and Dawn had her day yesterday, but I am so proud of our program, the people in it, and the great staff leading it.....

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Just an opinion, no facts, observation---I think Maya's final year was great--this team had 4--as it became 5--talented kids 2 Soph, 2 Jr, 1 Sr---some say YOUNG but many successful teams have lineups like this--albeit with as supporting cast--or at least one the Coach would play--Miss St--as running players in and out all game--fouls were not a concern.
In Maya's final game (I believe she made 36 points) she had no help. This year the Talent and at this time of the year--experience--and 6 (or 7) players to use. Maya was nearly alone.
I guess with overall in either case Geno masked the weakness (but nearly everyone knew : no bench, fouls) in either team.
Lorin Dixon was the only sub that yr. Georgetown should have beat us in regionals that yr. Dolson was still very slow still that year.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
If you left this team in place, without transfers, and the recruits coming in---Kyla stepping up, Molly becoming a player, Danger being the Danger recruited , Walker, Alesi, AEH are all they were built up to be--first year out. I think Uconn could take it all without Azura and Batuloy--but with the transfers --I feel more confident--as we have seen nothing in BB is ordained. Even Baylor lost getting to the title even with Griner and sims and Davis--height and top talent --but the BB gods were angry.
If you think Irwin and Bent will be keys to our next NC - I think you need a few aspirin. Butler, Irwin & Bent will never see another important minute of B Ball here. Unfortunately that's the new reality.

Reaction Score
If you think Irwin and Bent will be keys to our next NC - I think you need a few aspirin. Butler, Irwin & Bent will never see another important minute of B Ball here. Unfortunately that's the new reality.
You are a GENO ista---I am a Team ista. I never mentioned Butler---I did mention Molly, Kyla, Danger---as for Molly and Kyla I have no knowledge of what the summer may bring---so I have two choices--yours or to take the hopes they shall become the players Geno saw in them when he recruited them. Glass half full---glass half empty. I did not call them Key players---your words.
Will the give good minutes --I don't know and neither do you---you can assume the best or the worst
I assume I know neither.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
On whether this was Geno's best job? I do not know.....

But a constant thought these past couple of days.... of appreciation....

Geno and Chris started this whole thing in the mid 80s..... in 10th year had their first national championship..... they have run a model program with few bumps along the way.... and have produced fine young ladies from their program.... 11 national championships.... highest winning percentage in WCBB history, etc etc etc..... I do not think there is one figure in the women's game that is not owned by UConn (well, yes Pat's 1098 victories).... They have done all of this in only 32 years.... Tara's and Pat's tenures, for instance, were significantly longer than that....

I reflect on this as I look at the other school's message boards, where Geno is not referred to in very polite terms.... Partisanship is one thing, but to refer to him in vile disgusting terms on a personal level and a cheater on professional level is totally out of bounds.... especially absent of fact.... his record speaks for itself.... I think to myself... I have not attacked other coaches as others have gone after us... specifically Geno, but I suppose that is what happens when you win too much.... I really started to think of this on Friday night when the gracious nature of our fans really came out.... one can say it is easy when a program wins so much.... easier to accept a defeat... but i like to think that CT fans are the best and would have responded well no matter the circumstances... .... it showed this weekend after Mississippi State victory.....

Yes I am saying this in appreciation of our wonderful coaching staff and good manners and appreciation on behalf of our fan base.

Another thing i was thinking of relative to our coaching staff ..... we have built a dominant program and run up the numbers relative to all competition in an era when WCBB is really a lot more competitive than it had been.... we are not beating the Old Dominions, Delta States and Immaculatas, we are taking on a much better bevy of teams.... Notre Dame... Baylor, South Carolina, Maryland.... the best!!!! and faring well.... that deserves mention... I am not tearing down other programs with critique (aside from personal disgust at personal attacks and unproven charges against our coach) .... I am just saluting our coaches and thanking them for the wonderful job they have done.....

We did indeed lose Friday to a great Miss State performance.... and Dawn had her day yesterday, but I am so proud of our program, the people in it, and the great staff leading it.....
Thanks for this - very nice.
I do think you over-glorify our treatment of other coaches. There is quite a bit of 'critique' (to put it mildly) of Muffet, Kim, Holly, and previously of Pat and Tara. Most of it that remains and is not deleted is devoted to professional performance (in game, pressers, public statements) but some crosses that line into more personal. I suspect the mods here may have a slightly less rosy view with the knowledge of deleted posts and warnings delivered to posters.
And you also need to be aware that other boards do not have the same levels of control being enforced. Specifically our orange friends are pretty vicious to their own coach, can we really expect better towards Geno, especially given the rather vicious attack against him made by their program's 'God'. The other boards I visit are generally much more respectful of both his coaching and him - and those not cognizant of the NE/Philly character and banter/humor/sarcasm can misread both character and meaning when their own cultures clash with his.

Reaction Score
Thanks for this - very nice.
I do think you over-glorify our treatment of other coaches. There is quite a bit of 'critique' (to put it mildly) of Muffet, Kim, Holly, and previously of Pat and Tara. Most of it that remains and is not deleted is devoted to professional performance (in game, pressers, public statements) but some crosses that line into more personal. I suspect the mods here may have a slightly less rosy view with the knowledge of deleted posts and warnings delivered to posters.
And you also need to be aware that other boards do not have the same levels of control being enforced. Specifically our orange friends are pretty vicious to their own coach, can we really expect better towards Geno, especially given the rather vicious attack against him made by their program's 'God'. The other boards I visit are generally much more respectful of both his coaching and him - and those not cognizant of the NE/Philly character and banter/humor/sarcasm can misread both character and meaning when their own cultures clash with his.

Yes Miami thank you.... yes I hear you and agree with what you are saying.... was not trying to lift up other coaches.... just trying to appreciate ours.... and my post just came out of reflection looking at the other boards.... the Orange boards for example of course get a lot of action.... and in very recent time they have softened a bit, but usually go after us hard ... largely with unfounded complaints.... and only in the last couple of years many have turned on their own coach....

I expect different boards to be partisan, but i also do not want - in an ideal world - any other board to misrepresent what our program has done and its character achieved while doing it all.

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
You are a GENO ista---I am a Team ista. I never mentioned Butler---I did mention Molly, Kyla, Danger---as for Molly and Kyla I have no knowledge of what the summer may bring---so I have two choices--yours or to take the hopes they shall become the players Geno saw in them when he recruited them. Glass half full---glass half empty. I did not call them Key players---your words.
Will the give good minutes --I don't know and neither do you---you can assume the best or the worst
I assume I know neither.
Br Va- I'm sorry , you stated they could "take care of it"- winning the NC, without our transfers. In My opinion- If we are depending on, or thinking Kyla and Molly will play important minutes, We'd be in big trouble again. Every post- I always thought was our opinions. I'm not sure if everyone understands how much phenomenal raw talent is on the top 10-15 teams. And how phenomenal we did with very few options to deal with match up issues, fouls, etc... some of the better coaches are getting to programs with big futures.

Reaction Score
Br Va- I'm sorry , you stated they could "take care of it"- winning the NC, without our transfers. In My opinion- If we are depending on, or thinking Kyla and Molly will play important minutes, We'd be in big trouble again. Every post- I always thought was our opinions. I'm not sure if everyone understands how much phenomenal raw talent is on the top 10-15 teams. And how phenomenal we did with very few options to deal with match up issues, fouls, etc... some of the better coaches are getting to programs with big futures.

We could drag this on until Molly graduates--0r not. I never said they'd be significant or key to an NC--but it they are used ONLY to provide relief for starter--they will be doing their job--and helping. Both maybe complete duds or both or either may take off --ala Gabby.
I believe if : the new recruits HALF live up to all reports--they shall provide a big boost to Kia, Collier, Gabby, KLS, Danger--two things Uconn lacked was a wing of Walkers abilities to score and experience ---if you wanted you could add size. cComing inches away from the NC this year--with some additions to the bench or playing minutes in every game---why is it inconceivable to think they cannot go all the way even without Azura and Butuloy ?? With them it isn't a given , nothing is--but much more believable.
I can agree on fundamentally the Transfers should make a difference---Your Opinion's are yours --all have some validity--and I don't dispute your right to post them. Have at it!!Is Uconn getting a new coach--"the better coaches are getting to programs with big futures"

Geno-ista

Reaction Score
We could drag this on until Molly graduates--0r not. I never said they'd be significant or key to an NC--but it they are used ONLY to provide relief for starter--they will be doing their job--and helping. Both maybe complete duds or both or either may take off --ala Gabby.
I believe if : the new recruits HALF live up to all reports--they shall provide a big boost to Kia, Collier, Gabby, KLS, Danger--two things Uconn lacked was a wing of Walkers abilities to score and experience ---if you wanted you could add size. cComing inches away from the NC this year--with some additions to the bench or playing minutes in every game---why is it inconceivable to think they cannot go all the way even without Azura and Butuloy ?? With them it isn't a given , nothing is--but much more believable.
I can agree on fundamentally the Transfers should make a difference---Your Opinion's are yours --all have some validity--and I don't dispute your right to post them. Have at it!!Is Uconn getting a new coach--"the better coaches are getting to programs with big futures"
The last line was meant to say, there is much more parity in the women's game. Some great men's BB universities are finding/hiring great coaches like Oregon. Schaefer proved himself by winning NC at A & M- with defense. And I think a lot of teams that we beat, have more talent than us, or were built better to win the NC than we were. Our heart, effort and bb iq carried us to a great season. I'll kept Geno. I think he deserves another season. We'll be much better next yr even without the transfers. 4 returning starters. A much more veteran team - which is totally overlooked by many people. I think next yr we'll be as good as any of the Stewie teams.

Reaction Score
The last line was meant to say, there is much more parity in the women's game. Some great men's BB universities are finding/hiring great coaches like Oregon. Schaefer proved himself by winning NC at A & M- with defense. And I think a lot of teams that we beat, have more talent than us, or were built better to win the NC than we were. Our heart, effort and bb iq carried us to a great season. I'll kept Geno. I think he deserves another season. We'll be much better next yr even without the transfers. 4 returning starters. A much more veteran team - which is totally overlooked by many people. I think next yr we'll be as good as any of the Stewie teams.
I agree----and I agree with the transfers they could be (could be) as good as any Stewie team. The unknown (to me at least) is Batuloy--if she can fill the "tuck" role. Collier could but Collier is more that beats you with skill than with physical banging--Tuck could do both. Thanks nice post.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom