Geno's ESPN Interview on 'First Take' | The Boneyard

Geno's ESPN Interview on 'First Take'

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
One of the best first takes I have seen, as they allowed him to answer instead of pontificating.

The one issue I wish someone had brought up - and it was perfectly set up for it - when they were talking about Louisville and 'scandal' in general, was UNC. A simple statement like 'OK, these kinds of situations are sordid and salacious, but bottom line is this pales in comparison to a decade or longer academic scandal. One is some program catering to baser human instincts, the other undermines the very foundation of what a college is.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
What a great interview. I'm glad he had a chance to clarify his comments regarding the men's game (I know he took some heat on the men's board) - and mentioned that 25 new rules were put into place for this upcoming season that are meant to increase scoring and make the game more enjoyable to watch - after all, sports needs to be "entertaining".

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
What I liked best was Geno's response to the question, "Couldn't one of us coach your players to an NC?" Geno's response was priceless!

He asked if any of them could ride American Pharaoh to victory in the Kentucky Derby.

Count it a win by TKO, They threw in the towel. :)

Reaction Score
In an earlier segment on the show Molly mentions how excited she is to have Geno on the show. She and Steven A say they both love Geno. Skip Bayless says well that makes two of you. Steven A tells him to be nice. What issues does Bayless have with Geno? ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hktQGhp82w

Reaction Score
One of the best first takes I have seen, as they allowed him to answer instead of pontificating.

The one issue I wish someone had brought up - and it was perfectly set up for it - when they were talking about Louisville and 'scandal' in general, was UNC. A simple statement like 'OK, these kinds of situations are sordid and salacious, but bottom line is this pales in comparison to a decade or longer academic scandal. One is some program catering to baser human instincts, the other undermines the very foundation of what a college is.
I back you in an almost immeasurable amount on the UNC issue. I have said often that while the events at PSU were sickening it really was one pervert, Syracuse, even back to the SMU days none or even all of those cases pale in the wake of the UNC fiasco. Near two decades, over 3000 students, near half of them scholarship athletes. The penultimate lack of institutional control and the death penalty should have already been dropped. The NCAA, on thin ice for years with their own credibility issues, has been dragging its' feet for nearly 5 years I think on this, It is way overdo.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
In an earlier segment on the show Molly mentions how excited she is to have Geno on the show. She and Steven A say they both love Geno. Skip Bayless says well that makes two of you. Steven A tells him to be nice. What issues does Bayless have with Geno? ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hktQGhp82w

Bayless body language said the same thing. Too bad for him, 'cuz Geno took over the room. Was it just me or did he ignore Steven A's "boring etc" question?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
What I liked best was Geno's response to the question, "Couldn't one of us coach your players to an NC?" Geno's response was priceless!

He asked if any of them could ride American Pharaoh to victory in the Kentucky Derby.

Count it a win by TKO, They threw in the towel. :)
"I mean I guess you could, he's the best horse right? But it's unlikely."

Great stuff.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Those who can do, those who can't talk about the doers. That said, I find Bayless one of the better talking heads in ESPN's current stable.

Reaction Score
I back you in an almost immeasurable amount on the UNC issue. I have said often that while the events at PSU were sickening it really was one pervert, Syracuse, even back to the SMU days none or even all of those cases pale in the wake of the UNC fiasco. Near two decades, over 3000 students, near half of them scholarship athletes. The penultimate lack of institutional control and the death penalty should have already been dropped. The NCAA, on thin ice for years with their own credibility issues, has been dragging its' feet for nearly 5 years I think on this, It is way overdo.
Bill, you get a like from me just for being able to use penultimate and UNC in the same thread!!!

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Bill, you get a like from me just for being able to use penultimate and UNC in the same thread!!!
I was going to let the original post go, but now that you bring it up... If UNC is the penultimate, then there must be an ultimate, and I don't think that is actually what he meant. Penultimate means 'one short of', or 'next to last'. It is commonly misused as a synonym for 'greatest' thinking it is one step above ultimate, when it is actually one step below.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I stopped watching first take because I could no longer stomach this guy. For someone who never played professional sports, he's very full of himself, and is convinced that he knows it all, and HIS opinion is the right one, and the only one that matters.

He has "cheap shot" several guests (like Geno) on the show including (at the time) Eric Mangini when he was a regular ESPN analyst on the show. He has a habit of doing that. He'll do that to people he does not respect, or deem relevant.

He constantly criticized LeBron James for years, even AFTER he won his first championship. I made it a point to watch the show the next day, because I wanted to see and hear what Skip had to say about LeBron, and the Heat winning that year's championship. Steven A congratulated LeBron and the Heat for winning their "chip".

Skip continued his tired and pointless tirade against LeBron, saying that LeBron still has not shown him enough yet. Skip is a squirrel, and I have no respect for him or his biased opinions. I would love for the show to replace him! He's been on that show way too long. The producers like him because he's controversial, and usually has a different point of view than Steven A.

Like Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser (ESPN's PTI show) say......"Get him out of here".

Lately, the best first take shows are the ones when he and Steven A are not there.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I was going to let the original post go, but now that you bring it up... If UNC is the penultimate, then there must be an ultimate, and I don't think that is actually what he meant. Penultimate means 'one short of', or 'next to last'. It is commonly misused as a synonym for 'greatest' thinking it is one step above ultimate, when it is actually one step below.
If unclear my bad but what I was trying to convey is I have not seen anything worse to date than the UNC crap unless it is the thus far inaction by the NCAA to do what is right

HGN

Reaction Score
Very nice interview.......I was really surprised about the coach's knowledge of the NFL . It's players and schedules.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
If unclear my bad but what I was trying to convey is I have not seen anything worse to date than the UNC crap unless it is the thus far inaction by the NCAA to do what is right
I know, and I understood completely and wasn't going to post anything, and liked your post, but since it got brought up again, I just couldn't resist. It is a common misuse that I made for years until someone pointed out to me the real meaning.

Reaction Score
I stopped watching first take because I could no longer stomach this guy. For someone who never played professional sports, he's very full of himself, and is convinced that he knows it all, and HIS opinion is the right one, and the only one that matters.

He has "cheap shot" several guests (like Geno) on the show including (at the time) Eric Mangini when he was a regular ESPN analyst on the show. He has a habit of doing that. He'll do that to people he does not respect, or deem relevant.

He constantly criticized LeBron James for years, even AFTER he won his first championship. I made it a point to watch the show the next day, because I wanted to see and hear what Skip had to say about LeBron, and the Heat winning that year's championship. Steven A congratulated LeBron and the Heat for winning their "chip".

Skip continued his tired and pointless tirade against LeBron, saying that LeBron still has not shown him enough yet. Skip is a squirrel, and I have no respect for him or his biased opinions. I would love for the show to replace him! He's been on that show way too long. The producers like him because he's controversial, and usually has a different point of view than Steven A.

Like Mike Wilbon and Tony Kornheiser (ESPN's PTI show) say."Get him out of here".

Lately, the best first take shows are the ones when he and Steven A are not there.
Actually that is one of my favorite shows and that is because of Steven A. and him. I do feel he has tendencies to be extremely arrogant from time to time but the two of them are remarkably knowledgeable about a whole spectrum of sports and their opinions often coincide with me. I especially love that he is such an advocate of Tom Brady and holds Tom in such high esteem. The ESPN show that makes me nuts is that afternoon show whose name escapes me where there is a black commentator and that father and son. I almost immediately change the station because the father is a total idiot and to be subjected to his stupid or irrelevant comments continually is an insult. I can't conceive how they ever allowed that tandem on the air, meaning father and son. There are so many competent and interesting people that could be replacing the father, for sure and I'm not sure the son is the best choice to be on air, either! How they are still on the air amazes me.

Reaction Score
The ESPN show that makes me nuts is that afternoon show whose name escapes me where there is a black commentator and that father and son. I almost immediately change the station because the father is a total idiot and to be subjected to his stupid or irrelevant comments continually is an insult. I can't conceive how they ever allowed that tandem on the air, meaning father and son. There are so many competent and interesting people that could be replacing the father, for sure and I'm not sure the son is the best choice to be on air, either! How they are still on the air amazes me.
Dan Le Batard and his father Gonzalo. Whenever I listen to that show the only time I ever hear Papi is his heavily Cuban-accented byline when they cut in/out for commercial breaks: "The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz." The main thing I hear in the show is them making fun of Stugotz (Jon Weiner) for his incompetence (and Stugotz acknowledging it), and interviewing non-sports celebrities (show is staged in Miami Beach). BTW it is on in the late morning slot now, after Colin Cowherd moved to Fox.

Reaction Score
Actually that is one of my favorite shows and that is because of Steven A. and him. I do feel he has tendencies to be extremely arrogant from time to time but the two of them are remarkably knowledgeable about a whole spectrum of sports and their opinions often coincide with me. I especially love that he is such an advocate of Tom Brady and holds Tom in such high esteem. The ESPN show that makes me nuts is that afternoon show whose name escapes me where there is a black commentator and that father and son. I almost immediately change the station because the father is a total idiot and to be subjected to his stupid or irrelevant comments continually is an insult. I can't conceive how they ever allowed that tandem on the air, meaning father and son. There are so many competent and interesting people that could be replacing the father, for sure and I'm not sure the son is the best choice to be on air, either! How they are still on the air amazes me.
Dan Le Batard and his father Gonzalo. Whenever I listen to that show the only time I ever hear Papi is his heavily Cuban-accented byline when they cut in/out for commercial breaks: "The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz." The main thing I hear in the show is them making fun of Stugotz (Jon Weiner) for his incompetence (and Stugotz acknowledging it), and interviewing non-sports celebrities (show is staged in Miami Beach). BTW it is on in the late morning slot now, after Colin Cowherd moved to Fox.

Thanks for this post Buzzyboy. I'm glad I'm not the only one who finds the Dan Le Batard show unlistenable. Really moronic banter. I thought that maybe it was just me that wasn't "getting it". And I further agree that there are many more talented people who deserve the airtime.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
I guess you might say that ultimate supersedes penultimate! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc