Geno's Epiphany: Perche e Cosi (Because it is) | The Boneyard

Geno's Epiphany: Perche e Cosi (Because it is)

Reaction Score
Lovely article about this perfectionist Coach named Geno; the HUMAN side, never before seen?

Confession time: the pursuit of perfection is a process, finally(?) accepts that you can't expect it at every step, hence don't torture yourself for every misstep. About time, Coach. You'll enjoy it more. They're doing well despite the mistakes. They know they need to clean it up.

Perhaps, this has been part of the reason why he plays a shorter bench than Chris who gave Ines and Amari more chances to show progress as the game score allowed it (also didn't have enough players in some games, so was forced to)? It was good to see Amari run the court on a fast break and finish (almost getting there.....the shape you want to be in). No longer surprised at the skills Ines shows as she becomes more comfortable.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This article really really showed the human side of Geno. His feelings after his mother died and how much more difficult it was than he expected really hit home. It doesn’t matter how old you are, how old your mother was, even if it is expected, it’s a very painful experience.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Some incredibly insightful comments by Coach. Here are some other articles. I cannot imagine the stress and pressure, personal/internal/external in this job, and then losing a parent. I applaud Geno for sharing this with all of us. It puts the last month into perspective.

Reaction Score
Eh!! I love Geno but I'm not sure about this. I guess he's in search of some "inner peace".
Not sure great leaders or geniuses, superstars, have a ton of inner peace. I think it may be the inner turmoil/drive that keeps them on top of their games.
I'm going to train a team of Navy Seals to do a mission of the ultimate importance and I'm going to think, "it is what it is"/ Italian saying.
Sorry, not buying this one. Coaches/ teachers/leaders are charged with the task of affecting behavior, so as to achieve the highest common goal possible.

Reaction Score
Eh!! I love Geno but I'm not sure about this. I guess he's in search of some "inner peace".
Not sure great leaders or geniuses, superstars, have a ton of inner peace. I think it may be the inner turmoil/drive that keeps them on top of their games.
I'm going to train a team of Navy Seals to do a mission of the ultimate importance and I'm going to think, "it is what it is"/ Italian saying.
Sorry, not buying this one. Coaches/ teachers/leaders are charged with the task of affecting behavior, so as to achieve the highest common goal possible.
According to you, the ideal for geniuses and great leaders is what Geno has been doing ALL his coaching life: the great things he instituted and has done (with Chris Daily) combined with the mandatory torturing himself for the imperfections of his players. To us others, his 11 NCs and countless other titles for the preeminent program in WBB, nay, in College Basketball, attest to that genius, with or without the self-torture.

And when he finds that after all these years of living with imperfections (even through those perfect seasons), that an exemplary, unmatched record has been achieved.....that in a moment of reflection, he concludes how that pinnacle had been achieved - the imperfections had been inevitable and integral to growing and do not diminish the young ladies or the program at all......hence he should simply try his best to continue what he has always done with the same verve....all without torturing himself. The so-called "mellowing" did not diminish John Wooden, neither will it diminish him.

Just when he accepts this reality for himself with the resolve not to short-change those who have come to learn at the Mount Olympus of College WBB, you say NO! the only way to remain a genius is to ignore this fact and blindly keep banging his head against the wall and torture himself.

I am in the midst of reading Twisted Tales from Shakespeare.......am wondering whether I have been transported into that realm on seeing this. By the way, Richard Armour's piece is a mighty good read.

Reaction Score
According to you, the ideal for geniuses and great leaders is what Geno has been doing ALL his coaching life: the great things he instituted and has done (with Chris Daily) combined with the mandatory torturing himself for the imperfections of his players. To us others, his 11 NCs and countless other titles for the preeminent program in WBB, nay, in College Basketball, attest to that genius, with or without the self-torture.

And when he finds that after all these years of living with imperfections (even through those perfect seasons), that an exemplary, unmatched record has been achieved.....that in a moment of reflection, he concludes how that pinnacle had been achieved - the imperfections had been inevitable and integral to growing and do not diminish the young ladies or the program at all......hence he should simply try his best to continue what he has always done with the same verve....all without torturing himself. The so-called "mellowing" did not diminish John Wooden, neither will it diminish him.

Just when he accepts this reality for himself with the resolve not to short-change those who have come to learn at the Mount Olympus of College WBB, you say NO! the only way to remain a genius is to ignore this fact and blindly keep banging his head against the wall and torture himself.

I am in the midst of reading Twisted Tales from Shakespeare.......am wondering whether I have been transported into that realm on seeing this. By the way, Richard Armour's piece is a mighty good read.
Exactly! I must not have made myself clear. Why are you clicking into the pat rebuttal to everything, 11 NCs, blah, blah, blah? I am an absolute Geno fanatic! I just don't buy into this epiphany. Just like you said, he's been so successful greatly because of this incredible drive and attention to detail. I also attribute much of his success to his incredible skill in communicating.
Mellowing, smellowing!
I posted a while back that as much as we don't want it, Geno's gunna retire some day. I think this team has a real chance. He would never do a ceremonial retirement. He finishes this season, possibly with #12 and calls it a day. If the replacement can accept it, maybe Geno could stay in the wings until PB and Azzi graduate and his current recruits can feel his presence and learn from him. Maybe he could maintain a role in practice. Age is undefeated. (I'm learning that quickly)

Reaction Score
Fabulous insight into GENO and his way of thinking and Philosophy. In my opinion , GENO is a BB genius and Geniuses don't change. That's why they are Geniuses. This would be some fantastic Women's basketball played if all coaches followed GENO's way of coaching. That would really bring parity to the game. Everyone equal. May the best team win.I've said it before, there is only one GENO and you can't top near perfection. TARA and DAWN come about the closest in coaching. GENO also has CHRIS DAILEY to help him. A perfect match for 37 years and counting. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Geno gave us a peek at a very personal experience...and something we will all experience some day. It would be natural to expect him to look back at his life, what he has achieved, and how important his Mom was to him. And in that reflection, it would be logical to think about all the time he gave to UCONN WBB, that he didnt give to those closest to him, and wonder about the balance. I am dealing with a person very close to me who is dying and I am devoting every hour of every day to help her be a bit happier and a bit more comfortable... and I sometimes think about my very successful and rewarding 30 year Coast Guard career... and wonder if I gave as much attention/time to her as I did to my career, was it close to balanced? I pray she thinks it was close, because it's too late now to balance the scale. This will be on mind for some time after her time comes.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
You’re misunderstanding the gist of the statement. It isn’t a nihilist. We can’t affect our futures, rather, it is a reminder not to dwell on the past, and instead be forward-looking. If you want a rough paraphrase, you could go with “it happened, move on.”

Reaction Score
This article on Geno and his decisions brought back some of my own coaching foibles.
I have been retired from coaching just over 20 years ago.
We always had a very good team but I was the type of HC that felt I had to do everything and my 3 assistants were the eyes to make sure the kids were on task!
Then I had an eye-opener right before the 1990 season opened I had a coaches meeting where I told my assistants that each of us would teach our strong points at practice and we made lists of strong and weak points for us to follow.
It was as if someone turned on a spotlight and the team really took off, and we wrestled the best as a team (we always had great individual wrestlers) we ever did!
Sometimes being a HC puts blinders on about what is needed to be done! You have to step away from your self sometimes.
Geno felt he had to be in control of everything including his players performances, if they failed he had failed! Which is not always the case!
What a great article into what makes Geno, Geno!

Reaction Score
Geno gave us a peek at a very personal experience...and something we will all experience some day. It would be natural to expect him to look back at his life, what he has achieved, and how important his Mom was to him. And in that reflection, it would be logical to think about all the time he gave to UCONN WBB, that he didnt give to those closest to him, and wonder about the balance. I am dealing with a person very close to me who is dying and I am devoting every hour of every day to help her be a bit happier and a bit more comfortable... and I sometimes think about my very successful and rewarding 30 year Coast Guard career... and wonder if I gave as much attention/time to her as I did to my career, was it close to balanced? I pray she thinks it was close, because it's too late now to balance the scale. This will be on mind for some time after her time comes.
I recently read a story about Colin Farrell. Years ago while making the movie, Alexander the Great with Oliver Stone, he, along with those around him felt he was a shoe-in to receive an Academy award. The movie bombed, but in time, he felt he learned a valuable lesson. The meaning of life is to decide what matters most to you and have a purpose for it, regardless of what it is.

I can empathize with Geno and his emotional state. A personal loss interrupts and then disrupts our calculated way of life. It is time of emotional upheaval, but also provides a portal into retrospective analysis. Initially, it is discomforting, but in time, allows us to reset, look at life with a perspective of growth and discovery. This is something we should do until it is our time to pass on.

Balance gets confused with priority. PAHuskeyFan, you are choosing to prioritize your time to be with someone now in her remaining time. Maybe your career took priority earlier on, and if you tried to balance your time, maybe your career wouldn't have been as successful. Now, the time you spend with someone who is dying is what is important.

Lastly, I would say not to have regrets over what has transpired. She understands. She is taking stock of her life - just like you. She recognizes and appreciates what you are doing. Standing aside a loved one is the most human and generous act we can share. You, I and others do what we can. It is our nature to think we haven't done enough, or that we should have recognized what we are feeling now sooner. Take comfort that you are doing something now and accept that this outcome was always going to happen. Instead of regrets, embrace the moments.

Best wishes.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I'm going to train a team of Navy Seals to do a mission of the ultimate importance and I'm going to think, "it is what it is"/ Italian saying
Hating the imperfections is not the only path to excellence. To me, the love of the game is a higher motivation. the focus on perfecting the imperfection is allowing the negatives to drive your life. Focusing on the negative will tear you down and drive you to frustration. IMO, the love of the game is the better calling. To see the brilliance of the athletic ballet and the meshing together of individual personalities into a finely tuned organism is the motivation. The momentary glimpses of near perfection is addictive, driving one to achieve it again and again to the delight of all evolved. Even an old spectator like me.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Navy Seals? :rolleyes: They’re basketball players, not warriors training to go into battle

Brewski

To infinity and beyond!
Reaction Score
Navy Seals? :rolleyes: They’re basketball players, not warriors training to go into battle
Yes, that's true but Azzi and Lou do have lethal shooting skills. ;)

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I think the disagreement here is arising from different interpretations of the phrase. There's a lot of room between "there's nothing I can do about anything" (and "I have to solve every problem." I interpret "it is what it is" as "there are some things I can do nothing about, and I need to accept those things."

Geno adopting an "it is what it is" attitude doesn't mean he's just going to stop trying to coach kids up. John Wooden's entire philosophy was that playing your best was the goal -- whether you won or lost was half up to the other team. He was happier when his team played up to its potential but lost to a superior opponent than when his team won in a sloppy rout of a cupcake.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Growing up in an Italian-American family, I probably heard the phrase, “It is what it is” a thousand times from relatives and friends. The person who said it most frequently in front of me was my father, who dropped out of HS to fight in WWII, married his HS sweetheart (mom) after the war, worked hard his whole life to give his kids a better life than he had and never missed an opportunity to laugh.

I’ve tried to adopt my father’s philosophy of life, although not quite as easily as he seemed to. I use the expression, “It is what it is” every opportunity I get, and while it may not always fit the situation at hand, it’s always comfortable to say it, kind of like a mantra designed to sooth the soul.

Reaction Score
Hating the imperfections is not the only path to excellence. To me, the love of the game is a higher motivation. the focus on perfecting the imperfection is allowing the negatives to drive your life. Focusing on the negative will tear you down and drive you to frustration. IMO, the love of the game is the better calling. To see the brilliance of the athletic ballet and the meshing together of individual personalities into a finely tuned organism is the motivation. The momentary glimpses of near perfection is addictive, driving one to achieve it again and again to the delight of all evolved. Even an old spectator like me.
Phenomenal post! I’d like to chisel it in stone.
Maybe at the root of why humans have forever competed in athletics is more about the aesthetics, or the beauty in the movements than the winning and losing.
I guess the gist of this post has to do with what you do as a performer or coach with the information you get.
How about a mishit golf shot that ends up ideal. How long does the player focus on the intricate fundamentals of the swing? Does it affect the next shot? Does it eventually make the game not fun. Or do you just hit it, chase it, and enjoy the walk.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
How about a mishit golf shot that ends up ideal.
Ha ha. I once played a par 3 with an elevated tee to an elevated green. I didn't get under the ball but scalled it on a line drive. It smashed into the bank of the green bounced up and rolled into the cup.

Reaction Score
Ha ha. I once played a par 3 with an elevated tee to an elevated green. I didn't get under the ball but scalled it on a line drive. It smashed into the bank of the green bounced up and rolled into the cup.
Wow you've got a hole-in-one! Beers on you. I've played the game for 50 years and no such luck.
When I lived in MD I used to play golf in the winter. My buddy hit the front of a rock hard par 3 green and it took 5 breaks all the way to the bottom of the cup.

Reaction Score
Yes, I'm a glutton for punishment. Get the thumbs down ready.
I think Geno's epiphany has taken focus away from the team and put it on him. Is that by design? I don't think the team needed to be distracted. They were playing well. I bet they could have beaten DePaul with 4. Remember Coach Dale, "my team's on the floor".
Yesterday's postgame press conference was all about Geno. Well, I must admit, I am enthralled with Geno (GOAT), but this is about these young people. No joke- in my asking- did Geno distract the kids before Sunday's game.
He's a master communicator. Is he playing this right? (nice play, Mauer)
This has been a "next-man up, grind it out no matter what" unit. Has this mantra been knocked off-center, out of kilter?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom