Geno - WBCA Coach Of The Year | The Boneyard

Geno - WBCA Coach Of The Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I like Geno winning "the Pat Summitt trophy" more than I probably should.

This is what I imagine the whole Tennessee fanbase looking like right now.
stock-photo-amazed-redneck-has-just-had-his-mind-blown-as-he-smokes-a-cigarette-347156318.jpg

Reaction Score
The UConn site worded that kind of funny - the Pat Summit Trophy is the National Coach of the Year Award

Reaction Score
"If'n Pat were daid, she'd be a-rollin' over in her grave!":eek:
I have nothing but compassion and sympathy for Pat and what she is going through. She did so much to help the game. Having said that her temper tantrum and refusal to play UConn as the game was gaining momentum did so much to hurt it. She shot herself and Rocky Top in the foot...
On the strictly basketball side of the discussion what you describe will be much worse when the trophy is renamed The Geno Auriemma Trophy! ;)

Reaction Score
Congrats to Geno! Always nice to see him get more acclaim.

That said, if I got to vote, I would've voted for Vic Shafer at Miss St or Charli Turner-Thorne at ASU.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Ask Geno, and he'll tell you he won this award in 2011--when Morgan, Moriah, and Stewie committed.

Congrats on the award--for recruiting them AND coaching them up!

Reaction Score
Not so sure it shouldn't have gone to Muffet. Not that Geno was a bad choice! She lost two starters and lost only one game by 10 points to you know who.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

That said, if I got to vote, I would've voted for Vic Shafer at Miss St or Charli Turner-Thorne at ASU.
Because?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

It's the great debate: which is the more impressive achievement, "more with less" or "more with more"?

A conclusion may well never be derived, but Geno is responsible for the "more" with which the Huskies do more. All told, she did a fine job compiling this squad and then going undefeated (so far-fingers crossed) therewith.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
It's the great debate: which is the more impressive achievement, "more with less" or "more with more"?

A conclusion may well never be derived, but Geno is responsible for the "more" with which the Huskies do more. All told, she did a fine job compiling this squad and then going undefeated (so far-fingers crossed) therewith.
A LOT more with more in this case.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let's be fair. The NFL Champion gets the Vince Lombardi Trophy. Similarly, the WBCA Best Coach award is named to honor Pat Summitt. I move that the wcbb National Championship award be named the Geno Auriemma Trophy.

(After all, he just about owns it.) :D

Any seconds? :)

Reaction Score

Sounds like you favor giving the award to those who "do more with less" over those who "do more with more."

Personally, I feel it is more difficult to do more with more than to do more with less for the same reason that repeating a championship is so difficult. When you're the champ everyone is gunning for you. Beating you constitutes a whole season for most teams. All it takes is one mediocre performance at a bad time and your season (or winning streak) is over.

Meanwhile, you've got to be "on" all the time as you have to be prepared to absorb everyone else's best shot while they are just another game. While the changes in scenery are a nice perk, being the lead dog is a lot more difficult than pedaling in the peloton. The prospect of having to put forth that much effort over that long a time is daunting to some. It's called the fear of success.

Reaction Score

Excellent point! :)

(FWIW, I wrote my reply above before I got to your post).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom