Geno states "Still looking where to play .... Lou." | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Geno states "Still looking where to play .... Lou."

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Ah found it.....

Interesting.....wonder what positions they've had her at while practicing. One draw back to the new facility for fans.....not as much info coming in from practices. :)
I read that differently. I think KLS is having the typical Frosh struggles with being where she should be on the floor, rotations etc. Not a big deal at all.

Reaction Score
I read that differently. I think KLS is having the typical Frosh struggles with being where she should be on the floor, rotations etc. Not a big deal at all.
I'm with you---the 3 freshmen must have their brains full trying to remember who move where when, how to Geno rotate, how to move your feet --about being quick and fast (the difference)--how to hold your arms in Geno defense--keeping the ball and the person always in view (a Geno classic). Being a UConn freshman means having school and practices with both using every bit of brain cells one has. That alone would contribute to Frosh issues. I think we are is great shape--and better shape to come.

Reaction Score
It is right about here where I lost all of the remaining patience you are requesting of me.

OK. I see the problem. You regard the 4 as the "power forward" who plays under the basket. Technically, Tuck would be the 4 in UConn's scheme. But Tuck is really a small forward (3), so I called Kaleena the 4, though the Huskies had no true 4 last year. That was in deference to Morgan's size. These are slippery designations as Wikipedia points out: "The rules of basketball do not mandate them [position designations], and they are sometimes not used. Indeed, it could be said that the designation of positions is done more to satisfy broadcasters and fans than for coaches or players, and many top coaches, including Olympic coach Mike Krzyzewski are choosing to ignore positions altogether." I think that what we have is a misunderstanding, not a misconception. I've been using the 4 to designate the wing who shoots 3's (KML last year, KLS this year): 1. the point guard; 2. the shooting guard; 3. the power forward; 4. the small forward; 5. the center. Those are the names you use, and for a typical team they work. But UConn was short of bigs last year lacking a true center (5) and had only smallish forwards in Tuck and Gabby. Stewart played the 5 for the most part. As the season begins, I hope we can move ahead with hopes for a successful season and peace among the fans. We are, after all, on the same side.

Nuyoika

Destroyer of Baked Goods
Reaction Score
According to Game Tracker looks like Lou will be getting the start tonight.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think that what we have is a misunderstanding, not a misconception. I've been using the 4 to designate the wing who shoots 3's (KML last year, KLS this year): 1. the point guard; 2. the shooting guard; 3. the power forward; 4. the small forward; 5. the center.
Wikipedia????? We have neither a misconception nor a misunderstanding. Your position designations are simply incorrect. Of course you don't have to use positions designations and some players can play more than one position but if you are going to use the position designations you must use them correctly or at least like the rest of the civilized world. You don't get to make up your own definitions. Getting 4 out 5 correct doesn't get you a passing grade either because everyone on this board knows that Stewie is and has been the starting 4 for UCONN since 2012.
Basketball_Positions.png

The universal position designations are picture here and sourced from this wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Basketball_positions#/media/File:Basketball_Positions.png

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Based on what I saw tonight: I don't care what you call it, I think we have ourselves a player.
Can you be a little more specific. I saw several players tonight. In order of most impressive ( Stewie,Kia, Gabby, MoJeff, Morgan, Collier, KLS, Lawlor, Courtney & Pulido).

Reaction Score
Good points. I wouldn't expect much from either Chong or Ekmark. They might have some quality minutes down the road, but they just don't seem to be able to make it work. Probably good practice players. Wouldn't be surprised if one or both of them left.
Thank you. I had/have HOPES for both, would like to see them succeed as they want at UConn. Chong won't leave, close to home, almost 2 years left. Ekmark, if we are to believe all that was written about her before she arrived, loves everything UConn -- I expect her to work at being the best she can be--what ever that may be and stay a Husky. But their minutes will, because of KLS, Collier, Boykin, be reduced.

Reaction Score
OK. I see the problem. You regard the 4 as the "power forward" who plays under the basket. Technically, Tuck would be the 4 in UConn's scheme. But Tuck is really a small forward (3), so I called Kaleena the 4, though the Huskies had no true 4 last year. That was in deference to Morgan's size. These are slippery designations as Wikipedia points out: "The rules of basketball do not mandate them [position designations], and they are sometimes not used. Indeed, it could be said that the designation of positions is done more to satisfy broadcasters and fans than for coaches or players, and many top coaches, including Olympic coach Mike Krzyzewski are choosing to ignore positions altogether." I think that what we have is a misunderstanding, not a misconception. I've been using the 4 to designate the wing who shoots 3's (KML last year, KLS this year): 1. the point guard; 2. the shooting guard; 3. the power forward; 4. the small forward; 5. the center. Those are the names you use, and for a typical team they work. But UConn was short of bigs last year lacking a true center (5) and had only smallish forwards in Tuck and Gabby. Stewart played the 5 for the most part. As the season begins, I hope we can move ahead with hopes for a successful season and peace among the fans. We are, after all, on the same side.

Hey 4 out of 5 that's 80 percent ---give they guy a B plus

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I've been using the 4 to designate the wing who shoots 3's (KML last year, KLS this year): 1. the point guard; 2. the shooting guard; 3. the power forward; 4. the small forward; 5. the center. Those are the names you use, and for a typical team they work. But UConn was short of bigs last year lacking a true center (5) and had only smallish forwards in Tuck and Gabby. Stewart played the 5 for the most part.
Yea, no.
1 - PG
2 - SG or Off guard
3 - Small forward, Wing
4 - Power Forward
5 - Center, Post

Stewart has been playing the 4 position pretty much her entire career here (while she may be a 4/3 type player). Defensively on occasion she'll guard the opposing 5/center (if they have one).
Tuck, while more naturally a 4/3, has been playing the 5.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I have never bought in to the rigid slotting of players into the 1 (PG), 2 (SG), 3 (SF), 4 (PF), and 5 (C, or Post). Even a casual observer of UConn has seen Geno pay no apparent attention to the 1-5 designation as he subs freely.

More recently I was drawn to the manner a bb writer on The Boston Globe organized the Celtics' roster into four categories: ball-handlers, wings, swings, and bigs.

So I tried to apply this concept to our Huskies, thus:
  • Ball-handlers: Jefferson, Nurse, Chong, Polido.
  • Wings: Stewie, KLS, Ekmark.
  • Swings: Gabby, Pheese, Lawlor.
  • Bigs: Tuck, Butler, Boykin.
As I watched last night's game, it worked for me. Only one strict rule: Must have one ball-handler on court at all times. With the others, mix and match For example, with all bigs out in second half, two swings (Gabby & Pheese) got more PT. And the starting lineup comprised two BH's, two wings, and one big.

These designations seem more logical than 1-5, so I'll stay with it. :)

Reaction Score
Yea, no.
1 - PG
2 - SG or Off guard
3 - Small forward, Wing
4 - Power Forward
5 - Center, Post

Stewart has been playing the 4 position pretty much her entire career here (while she may be a 4/3 type player). Defensively on occasion she'll guard the opposing 5/center (if they have one).
Sure looks like Geno has no concept of what position his player should play????? When will he use Mo Jefferson as a 5??
I am facetious but I wouldn't put money on Geno not doing that if he thought a fast player would beat their Center!!

Reaction Score
Yea, no.
1 - PG
2 - SG or Off guard
3 - Small forward, Wing
4 - Power Forward
5 - Center, Post

That's how I view the position assignments as well. Didn't realize there could be this much debate as UConn stuck pretty closely to the same lineup last year: 1=Mo, 2=Kia, 3=KML, 4=Stewie, 5=Tuck.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Can you be a little more specific. I saw several players tonight. In order of most impressive ( Stewie,Kia, Gabby, MoJeff, Morgan, Collier, KLS, Lawlor, Courtney & Pulido).

I'd like to, but I forget. :cool: Naw, just kidding. I was making reference to KLS with that remark, but it could also reference Gabby, who pleased me very much last night. I would not agree with your rankings, but I'm a lover, not a fighter, so I take the 5th on the balance of our mutual thoughts(some being more mutual than others, some not so much). :D

Reaction Score
I have never bought in to the rigid slotting of players into the 1 (PG), 2 (SG), 3 (SF), 4 (PF), and 5 (C, or Post). Even a casual observer of UConn has seen Geno pay no apparent attention to the 1-5 designation as he subs freely.

More recently I was drawn to the manner a bb writer on The Boston Globe organized the Celtics' roster into four categories: ball-handlers, wings, swings, and bigs.

As I watched last night's game, it worked for me. Only one strict rule: Must have one ball-handler on court at all times. With the others, mix and match For example, with all bigs out in second half, two swings (Gabby & Pheese) got more PT. And the starting lineup comprised two BH's, two wings, and one big.

The term used in unimportant as most designations for people are--It has been apparent that Geno uses talent and motivation where he determines it is best used. Nothing about UConn is "rigid". If anything is close to rigid within Geno's system it may be point guard.
This old brain is locked into the old format of player positions, and these new grouping/designation and the intra-usage of these term is confusing. I understand two of the terms you use---BIGs (I'm certain that isn't Jefferson) and Ball handlers (I'm certain this is Jefferson)--wings--not an angel among them, and my swing was on my front porch.

Never disagree with Kibitzer--just a comment.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score

Kib for media like the Boston globe these designations will work just fine. The primary use of the position designations (by Numbers) is a shorthand for the purpose of drawing up basketball plays. Think of it this way =to military symbology so instead of writing out the unit designation like Calvary you use the crossed sabres and suddenly everyone knows what type of unit you are talking about.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
That's how I view the position assignments as well. Didn't realize there could be this much debate as UConn stuck pretty closely to the same lineup last year: 1=Mo, 2=Kia, 3=KML, 4=Stewie, 5=Tuck.
I'm actually not sure there is "much debate". But this is the Boneyard and there is always at least one outside the box-not that's a bad thing.

Reaction Score
I'd like to, but I forget. :cool: Naw, just kidding. I was making reference to KLS with that remark, but it could also reference Gabby, who pleased me very much last night. I would not agree with your rankings, but I'm a lover, not a fighter, so I take the 5th on the balance of our mutual thoughts(some being more mutual than others, some not so much). :D
Some may think KLS was not up to her standards, maybe--but to me the major break through was making the 3 in the 3rd quarter. I'm pretty sure Geno said keep shooting. I liked what I saw.
Gabby, hit 6 of 7 free throws--huge break through compared to last year. 10 Rebounds 16 points in 20 something minutes.
Now let us see if she makes a jumper from 15 and rebounds against Bigs. Yet I am very much impressed.
Maybe for another thread----Did Geno make some kind of statement starting KLS and his first and second off the bench were Gabby then Collier??

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score

Have to agree here. The "old" monikers of the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 are disappearing. Players once thought of as 4's or 5's because of their height are disappearing. We are seeing players like Stewie who can play more than one spot. These bigger players are also coming to the college game with the ability to be decent 3 point shooters, much like a lot of European players. KLS will probably be one such player. And remember, Stef developed that foul line jumper that expanded her game and made her more than just a post or 5 player.

The only old name that is still needed is the 1 or point guard. No matter how much talent you have, without the playmaker you are going to have trouble on the court. A remember, Geno likes his guards to run the offense and shot - the combo guard. And we have MoJeff and Kia plus Cong so we are fine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I would be very disappointed if you agreed with my rankings and even more disappointed if you though I would actually fight you over them. :rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kib for media like the Boston globe these designations will work just fine. The primary use of the position designations (by Numbers) is a shorthand for the purpose of drawing up basketball plays. Think of it this way =to military symbology so instead of writing out the unit designation like Calvary you use the crossed sabres and suddenly everyone knows what type of unit you are talking about.

Point well taken, but coaches draw up plays in the huddle, not Boneyarders here. Too bad for the Confederates that Lee lost track of his Cavalry at Gettysburg.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would be very disappointed if you agreed with my rankings and even more disappointed if you though I would actually fight you over them. :rolleyes:

Eagles don't do well trying to fly off with huskies of any color, unless they are babies.

Reaction Score
Have to agree here. The "old" monikers of the 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 are disappearing. Players once thought of as 4's or 5's because of their height are disappearing. We are seeing players like Stewie who can play more than one spot. These bigger players are also coming to the college game with the ability to be decent 3 point shooters, much like a lot of European players. KLS will probably be one such player. .

These players are now called stretch 4s.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Point well taken, but coaches draw up plays in the huddle, not Boneyarders here. Too bad for the Confederates that Lee lost track of his Cavalry at Gettysburg.
Boneyarders have made several suggestions to Geno regarding starters , playing time and bad language so drawing up plays might be the next logical evolution. Lee losing track of the Cav at Gettysburg was not nearly as fatal a mistake as was his very vague order to Ewell to "Take that hill, if practicable." As I'm sure you know taking a hill is hard work and it is never going to be practical.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom