Geno show - great stuff, and his take on the team MVP | The Boneyard

Geno show - great stuff, and his take on the team MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
He didn't use the word "MVP" but he did say Morgan was the best player on the team. He was asked to give mid season report cards and he used wine as an analogy... I can't remember all of them but...

Stewie - her numbers are down from last year - but she's like a really good bottle that needs time to improve with age...

Moriah has just been fantastic. Morgan is the best player on the team. Kia Nurse has been really really good. Stokes has given them great things on defense but still has so much potential. Williams has surprised them with things she can do - said she's like a good bottle of wine with a lot of potential and you really don't know just how good it will end up being...

Overall really glowing comments on the team.

One other thing I found interesting were the questions regarding other coaches, even in the American. I may get some of this wrong because I watched it last night but basically - other people want his opinion a lot - BUT only if it's the same opinion as they have.

He said he has conversations all the time with coaches about how to make their teams better, but the other coaches don't want to hear about it because they "don't agree". When the coaches of the AAC get together, there is a lot of discussion on how to improve the league and individual teams, but some coaches just don't want to hear about, or do, what he suggests.

The last part leads me to believe there may be some improvement of certain teams in the AAC, but others will remain permanently mired in mediocrity. Overall I thought it was a really good show and Kerith was able to get him to talk about things we don't usually hear about...

Reaction Score
Yes the last two episodes have been great. Because 3/4 of the show was Geno and not dumb stuff like what is Kaleena's favorite color. Thought his wine comparisons were pretty good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Stewie - her numbers are down from last year - but she's like a really good bottle that needs time to improve with age...
I thought it was more like she's a really good (expensive) bottle, but she could be/may be (if she keeps working) be a classic. Like one you keep around but only open on a special occasion (like a 25th anniversary, 100th birthday).

Reaction Score
To add to what Alex said.

Kerith is really good at interviewing Geno. He seems to enjoy her and is willing to open up to her. Besides that, Kerith is a beautiful young woman and represents UConn well with skill and a good fashion sense.

The wine merchant:

The Moriah bottle of wine is getting better and better and is worth a lot more now than when we first bought it.
Kiah is a bottle that is half poured, so you can decide if there's a lot left in there or mostly poured.
Morgan is a really, really, really good bottle of wine that goes with any meal.
KML is a good bottle of wine.
Saniya is a complete mystery. She's a bottle of wine that you're afraid to open because you're not quite sure what's going to be in there.
Kia is an inexpensive bottle of wine that turned out to be amazing.
Gabby is a pleasant surprise because some of the things she has done, we had no idea she could do. She's a unique bottle of wine.
Courtney hasn't played enough to rate. Right now that grape hasn't matured yet.

On coaching - Kerith: How much credit do Coaches deserve for winning? G: Unfortunately, in the college world the coaches become the focal point because they are the only constant. The players come and leave but you're still there. If you're not careful the players say wait a minute, is this about what I'm going to do when I get there or is it about Coach Auriemma. I have an obligation to promote the program but there's no media guide or posters with my picture on it. It's focused on the players. They are the ones that are winning. Coaches get way too much credit for winning and fool themselves into thinking that they're the reason the program is successful. Try to be successful without those great players. There are a lot of great coaches that work 20 hour days, are smart, etc. but can't quite get the players I get. My favorite line there are 2 kinds of coaches in the world, those that coach great players and ex coaches.

Kerith How do you improve women's BB? Geno: High School player and coaches need to get better. Athletic directors need to set goals for coaches. If not achieved, you're fired. That's what happens in men's BB.

Kerith: Are you the spokesperson for women's B? G: People want my opinion, but mostly to corroborate their opinion. Otherwise they're only interested if I can help them make more money. Geno's thrust in speaking with other coaches is what can we do to help you to get better and thus be able to compete with UConn.

Perhaps Geno's most important thoughts had to do with handling incoming stars, the number one recruits, etc. He said many coaches are fearful about what they will do with those players. As a result they let them do whatever they want. Treat them like a child who is granted their every wish - spoiled. They are afraid that if not catered to the star will move to another program and what then?

Geno then said when these stars come in, they have no clue. If they are perceived as the best player on the team, what does that say about the ability of the team's coaching? Not much. Players need to give something up to play on a team. They are never the best player initially and need to be willing to work toward that potential. If not willing to do that, they should play golf, tennis, or chess.

If at UConn, and you're not willing to learn and become part of the team, you'll be playing elsewhere. Only the strongest coaches can afford to take the risk of a great player bailing. But if the great player buys into the system, they become another coach.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I wasn't quite sure what he meant when he said the Kia Nurse was an "inexpensive" bottle of wine. Does that mean she was easy to recruit? Or that she is so self-assured that she doesn't need much bucking up?

She does seem like a person who is emotionally strong enough not to get down on herself, and also not to get too inflated when she receives praise. Not that she has faced a lot of adversity this year, but if she did, I think she would handle it better than most (and better than nearly all freshmen).

I do keep wondering if the "freshman wall" is in her future. Haven't noticed it yet.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I took it as more of Nurse being a pleasant surprise...as in, she wasn't rated, wasn't highly recruited, was a bit of an unknown, and has turned out to be way better than anyone thought. Like when you get a bottle of wine for $10 and it turns out to be better than bottles you've bought for $50.

T

TroyHouse66

Besti (quoting Geno):
<<Gabby is a pleasant surprise because some of the things she has done, we had no idea she could do. She's a unique bottle of wine.>>
Considering what was expected & what we are seeing, the girl is champagne!

[But, then again, if you consider her hops... Gabby is a tall, refreshing Sierra Nevada ale, in a frosty mug at the Mizpah Hotel, on a 95F day, after you've driven from Silver City to Tonopah.]

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I thought it was more like she's a really good (expensive) bottle, but she could be/may be (if she keeps working) be a classic. Like one you keep around but only open on a special occasion (like a 25th anniversary, 100th birthday).
Yep I think you are right. I was sort of tired so I knew I was mangling his comments. Thanks!!

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I took it as more of Nurse being a pleasant surprise...as in, she wasn't rated, wasn't highly recruited, was a bit of an unknown, and has turned out to be way better than anyone thought. Like when you get a bottle of wine for $10 and it turns out to be better than bottles you've bought for $50.
Yep, that's what I got from it. She is way better than they expected.

Reaction Score
I think he meant.that much of the work on her had already been done in the last few years, his coaching and her international experience. He knew exactly what he was getting.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

He said Stewie is a really good bottle that may become "vintage." Recounted that Stewie graded herself a B+ and he thought she was being generous with herself and her metrics were the same as last year, except 2 were down.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Besti (quoting Geno):
[But, then again, if you consider her hops... Gabby is a tall, refreshing Sierra Nevada ale, in a frosty mug at the Mizpah Hotel, on a 95F day, after you've driven from Silver City to Tonopah.]

She is pure IPA with those hops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman