Geno says he would leave in a second | The Boneyard

Geno says he would leave in a second

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Geno filmed a center stage episode with Michael Kay today.
When Kay asked him if he would take a job as Popovich's assistant in the NBA, Geno said " in a second" and that he would " walk there." He has been offered but was not interested in a men's college HC job.

Reaction Score
When Kay asked him if he would take a job as Popovich's assistant in the NBA, Geno said " in a second" and that he would " walk there." He has been offered but was not interested in a men's college HC job.
So Becky Hammon has his dream job?

Reaction Score
Any team that wants Geno is going to have to pay UConn a hefty fee to free him from his contract -- which puts to bed a whole lot of scenarios. My son went to the taping and told me there were several eye-opening remarks from Geno. The man never disappoints...

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
I can name several big time, Power Five Conference schools that would happily kick in the money needed to get Geno out of Storrs.:D

I can certainly think of 2 colors, orange & green, that would be happy campers ;)

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I can name several big time, Power Five Conference schools that would happily kick in the money needed to get Geno out of Storrs.:D

And a number of fans would chip in as well

I can certainly think of 2 colors, orange & green, that would be happy campers ;)

You can add Pantone 287 to that list :oops:

Reaction Score
That wasn't a very smart thing to say. A statement like that has to be detrimental to recruiting, could shy away some top players.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
He has said a number of times that he thinks being an NBA assistant coach is the best job in the world and he is a great admirer of Pop. That being said, it is I am pretty sure tongue in cheek. He loves what he is doing, and he would be bored being an assistant (and frustrated dealing with men's pro players.)

As for it effecting recruiting - nah.

Reaction Score

I agree with the comments : 1. As far out as it maybe, even mentioning the possibility of leaving will have 100 Div 1 coaches saying to recruits : Geno is leaving no point in going to UConn now, you'll not get an NC there. 2. Geno as anyone's subordinate is unimaginable!!
3. Comfort in your surroundings, with the people you work with, your control of management cannot be over looked in any job.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Sometimes people say things they know will never happen, especially Geno. His last coaching job will be at UConn. The full context:

In addition, Auriemma said his favorite basketball venue was Cameron Indoor Stadium at Duke, that Maya Moore, Diana Taurasi and Cheryl Miller were the greatest players he'd ever seen and that he would still consider being an NBA assistant coach, but wasn't planning on leaving UConn any time soon.

"You hear that it's always about the money," Auriemma said. "But if they keep paying me the way they are paying me ... "

The audience, filled with many UConn fans, laughed and cheered at his sincerity.

Reaction Score
He has said a number of times that he thinks being an NBA assistant coach is the best job in the world and he is a great admirer of Pop. That being said, it is I am pretty sure tongue in cheek. He loves what he is doing, and he would be bored being an assistant (and frustrated dealing with men's pro players.)

Happened to be at the taping myself, pretty sure Geno ONLY speaks with tongue in cheek. Gotta love the man!

Reaction Score
:eek:

If you are saying I am paranoid you are correct. :eek:

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

I agree - must have been "Tongue in cheek". I know he loves Popovich but I can't believe he would enjoy dealing with those NBA players.

Reaction Score
Happened to be at the taping myself, pretty sure Geno ONLY speaks with tongue in cheek. Gotta love the man!
Or, with Connecticut's budget woes, perhaps Geno is sending a subtle message to the Governor, in case he's considering cutting Geno's salary.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Sometimes he does say things without thinking. I really do think that statements such as this can be harmful to recruiting. Personally, I would like him to make less public statements about himself, and more about the quality players which he was so fortunate to recruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom