Geno: "Quality shots" | The Boneyard

Geno: "Quality shots"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For years we have observed UConn consistently curtail the scoring of opponents' high scorers. Occasionally we could see one of our tenacious defenders (e.g., Battle, Greene, Faris, etc.) simply shift into lock-down mode to frustrate an opponent. More often, a team effort has been applied, whether by playing zone or m2m.

In several recent interviews Geno has defined orally one of his key defensive stratagems: "Don't let 'em take quality shots." A perfect recent example: OSU game, when the vaunted Buckeye guards, Alston and Mitchell, went 5 for 27. And Geno said so after the game.

Breanna Lewis is a 6'5" center and purportedly K-State's best offensive player. Watch tonight and see how UConn forces her to take shots of poor quality (double-teamed, contested, outside her range, etc.).

Meanwhile, at the other end, expect UConn to combine spacing, movement (ball and feet). and crisp passes to seek opportunities for individuals to take -- yup, you probably guessed it -- quality shots.

Let's watch and see, OK? ;)

HGN

Reaction Score
For years we have observed UConn consistently curtail the scoring of opponents' high scorers. Occasionally we could see one of our tenacious defenders (e.g., Battle, Greene, Faris, etc.) simply shift into lock-down mode to frustrate an opponent. More often, a team effort has been applied, whether by playing zone or m2m.

In several recent interviews Geno has defined orally one of his key defensive stratagems: "Don't let 'em take quality shots." A perfect recent example: OSU game, when the vaunted Buckeye guards, Alston and Mitchell, went 5 for 27. And Geno said so after the game.

Breanna Lewis is a 6'5" center and purportedly K-State's best offensive player. Watch tonight and see how UConn forces her to take shots of poor quality (double-teamed, contested, outside her range, etc.).

Meanwhile, at the other end, expect UConn to combine spacing, movement (ball and feet). and crisp passes to seek opportunities for individuals to take -- yup, you probably guessed it -- quality shots.

Kibit , if what you say is true , and I believe it is , UConn may win this thing by 30+. K-State's Lewis will be pushed out farther than she likes and forced to take shots outside her normal range. If she hits them , she hits them. But they will be uncomfortable shots. UConn will force the other players who are not accustomed to being totally depended on , to beat them. They too will be hounded and closely defended and forced into bad shots. Plus , I don't think K-State has seen too many teams with the athleticism and speed of UConn. On both offense and defense. If UConn forces many turnovers , it could turn into a shark feeding frenzy in a hurry.

I will not be able to see the game but I am hoping some BY'ers who can will blog and keep us UConn news thirsty Yarders up to date on the play and score.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think, in some ways, Geno's winning philosophy has only 2 components:

1. Get better shots than the other guys.

2. Get more shots than the other guys.

His offense is noted for its passing and finding the open man. Get the ball to a player in close or in her sweet spot. On defense, make them take the shots we want them to take, not the ones they want to take. Keep players like Angel McCoughtry, Jewell Loyd, and Nneka Ogwumike from getting to their spots and getting squared up. When players are off balance, their percentages plummet.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see Geno start our defnse in a 3 - 2 zone. With Moriah, Kia and Gabby harassing their guards, entry passes into the post will become difficult at best. As per the discussion on zone defenses in another post, this will force K-State to bring their post out away from the basket.

Reaction Score

Seems like a new/different name for the same tactic. He, along with his teams, has been denying the opponents "good/decent" shots for a long long time. I think the word for that is "defense"!!!

Reaction Score
I would not be surprised to see Geno start our defnse in a 3 - 2 zone. With Moriah, Kia and Gabby harassing their guards, entry passes into the post will become difficult at best. As per the discussion on zone defenses in another post, this will force K-State to bring their post out away from the basket.

I think if a Zone is used at some point it will be a 2--3 zone. If their 3 ball shooters are good then you are right a 2----3 zone or Mano ye mano.

Reaction Score
I think, in some ways, Geno's winning philosophy has only 2 components:

1. Get better shots than the other guys.

2. Get more shots than the other guys.

His offense is noted for its passing and finding the open man. Get the ball to a player in close or in her sweet spot. On defense, make them take the shots we want them to take, not the ones they want to take. Keep players like Angel McCoughtry, Jewell Loyd, and Nneka Ogwumike from getting to their spots and getting squared up. When players are off balance, their percentages plummet.

You are probably correct--but if Geno stated it , it would be: Make more shots than the other guy and
get better shots than the other guy. Something all winning coaches try to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom