Geno protecting Saniya in the presser | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Geno protecting Saniya in the presser

Reaction Score
Geno was at his classiest best in the presser and we should all be proud of how he handled the Q and A. As a team we did not play our best, and certainly MSU's tenacious defense was a real factor.
This was not a time to point out any play or player, though Geno did say that he wished Saniya had waited longer. But his comment, "God bless her" and she was trying to win the game for us was perfect at that moment.

These are young kids and they will come back bigger and stronger next year. I am sure Geno would be willing to play MSU next year and give them another whack at us, though I am not sure the bull dogs would be up to it.

So proud of all these kids and what they accomplished this year for a team that lost 3 All Americans and we all thought would be going through a rebuilding year.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Someone asked if it was possible that there may have been a little choking. Well 8 missed FTs by otherwise good FT shooters tells that story.
They shot 68% if they made 3 more it would have 75%. That is near the team's normal of 77.9. They didn't shoot well from the line but it was more a return to the mean than the above average shooting recently.

Reaction Score
From the presser, Geno implied that he DOESN'T like to hold for the final shot. He said something to to effect that he doesn't believe a last second shot wins games, but he wanted time for a rebound or a second attempt. Well, he found out that a last second shot can win a game.

However, thinking about it, another overtime would not have been good for UConn, with Gabby and Collier with four fouls. They foul out, the games probably over anyway.
Another OT would have been very good. Victoria Vivians fouled out in this OT with four minutes to go. They would have played very short handed for an additional 5 minutes.

Reaction Score
It was a team loss. Saniya will be ok, though losing her last game is tough. It didn't seem to hold Maya back.

Geno noted the missed FTs, 8 of them. You can't do that in a very close game.

Do you think she'll be drafted by a WNBA team?

I think she should.

Reaction Score
From the presser, Geno implied that he DOESN'T like to hold for the final shot. He said something to to effect that he doesn't believe a last second shot wins games, but he wanted time for a rebound or a second attempt. Well, he found out that a last second shot can win a game.

However, thinking about it, another overtime would not have been good for UConn, with Gabby and Collier with four fouls. They foul out, the games probably over anyway.

UNO (University Of Nebraska At Omaha) tried to hold for the last shot in the Summit League Tournament and missed it as their best player drove the lane against 2 players.
I think they should've taken a trey by one of their very good 3 point shooters and gambled to get a rebound if they missed. Odds are the shooter would've been open and odds are they would've got a second shot.

Reaction Score
I know it never is on one player or one play and we all apprecate her contributions this year--but I'll never understand Chong's move at the end. Having called an always controversial flagrant, especially right at the end of a storybook effort by MSU--that gave us 2 shots and the ball--Geno should have known the refs wouldn't then call a foul on MSU in the waning seconds on a drive by any of our guys. They just wouldn't. He should have told the team to wait out the clock and dish for a jump shot to win or go to double OT. That's my opinion. Given the loss, however, the bigger picture is with UConn losing and ending the streak, WBB took over the airwaves. That was good for the sport. Geno was very gracious and thoughtful in defeat. Now the pride of the Huskies will be on display next year. It should be fun to watch how they respond.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Chong made a 10 foot floater during the first half on a play that looked eerily similar to her ill-fated attempted drive in OT. It's likely that play in the first half may have gone through her mind when she made her move to go to the basket in OT.

Most of the players on the court were bunched together along the right sideline. The left side of the lane was wide open. If she had pulled the ball out and dribbled around for several seconds waiting for a last second shot opportunity, the MSU defense would have had a chance to get reset and balanced, with some defenders in the lane, making any attempt to drive to the basket much more difficult. She saw the defense way out of balance and saw an opportunity to exploit it for a drive and possible layup or foul, catching MSU totally off balance on D. There was nothing wrong with her decision under those circumstances. She saw a chance to drive all the way to the basket for a layup or foul, or possibly both. She took it. The fact it didn't work out doesn't make it the wrong decision, under the circumstances.

Reaction Score
Chong made a 10 foot floater during the first half on a play that looked eerily similar to her ill-fated attempted drive in OT. It's likely that play in the first half may have gone through her mind when she made her move to go to the basket in OT.

Most of the players on the court were bunched together along the right sideline. The left side of the lane was wide open. If she had pulled the ball out and dribbled around for several seconds waiting for a last second shot opportunity, the MSU defense would have had a chance to get reset and balanced, with some defenders in the lane, making any attempt to drive to the basket much more difficult. She saw the defense way out of balance and saw an opportunity to exploit it for a drive and possible layup or foul, catching MSU totally off balance on D. There was nothing wrong with her decision under those circumstances. She saw a chance to drive all the way to the basket for a layup or foul, or possibly both. She took it. The fact it didn't work out doesn't make it the wrong decision, under the circumstances.

True true true.

Mark my words she will be sorely missed next year. If danger doesn't fire or Kia coughs wrong and hurts her back we are actually in a bit of trouble.

Reaction Score
I disagree, missing free throws has been trending up lately.
The girls played a lot of minutes this season due to the lack of a bench. When you're tired it tends to show up in free throw shooting, and in shooting I need general.

Reaction Score
The girls played a lot of minutes this season due to the lack of a bench. When you're tired it tends to show up in free throw shooting, and in shooting I need general.
.....and in shooting in general.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'm sure, had Saniya had held onto the basketball for another five seconds, then started something that went awry, there would be people watching the replay shouting, "There was a double screen set up for her and a wide-open lane, WHY DIDN'T SHE GO IN FOR THE EASY SCORE WHEN SHE HAD THE CHANCE?"

Reaction Score
Let's be serious. It was a horrible, boneheaded play. Of course it will stay with her forever. C'est la vie.
I cannot stay quiet on this one.
The lane was there and she stepped up and took the opportunity. Had the shot gone in or if the refs did the right thing and she made both free throws and Uconn won you would be singing her praises.
The lane was open, players step up and make plays.
This game was lost so many times. Turnovers, missed fouls shots, bricks, poor rebounding, missed defensive assignments, choking, Miss State playing great, lack of depth, I could go on and on.
Women played all year above expectations and Saniya went out as a major contributor.
These ladies will move on to successful lives and you my friend will still be a Blog Coach!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom