Geno protecting Saniya in the presser | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Geno protecting Saniya in the presser

Reaction Score
ASweet3781, do you really think Geno did go over the strategy so that everyone understood what to do? Seriously? Even if she had scored, they had a chance to come back down the court. You hold the ball long enough so that you either score or get a put back, or go to another overtime, but you don't shoot early no matter what. Saniya made a mistake. Nothing else needs to be said. They had an incredible year. Hopefully, next year will be even better. Until next year . . .

Reaction Score
A lot of posts seem to imply that Saniya lost the game--took the shot too early--took the shot on her own.
Geno's comment: I don't believe in waiting for the last shot--is true; historically he wants to rebound and get a second shot attempt
It was not just generous or protective (true it was) but it is the way he plays the game.
The loss--was cumulative: Miss state great defense, great execution--uconn: foul shooting, terrible team shooting, except KLS who didn't shoot enough yea she was tightly guarded--but when she made up her mind she was free.
Really bright light--Geno trusts Danger and she ran the point with poise, few if any errors.
The greatest ever season of any team any where--undersized, no bench, 4 of five players had minimal game exposure in the previous year
3 all american came out of it--2 freshmen and a soph---36 wins ----ONE loss when everyone expected 4 losses minimum.
Super great--this team deserves a parade---and Uconn fans need to hold their heads high and respect what this group has done.

Reaction Score
In defense of Geno, he said in the post game presser they went over that in every practice.
Geno nor Saniya need no defense---Geno coaches different than 99 out of 100 other coaches--he win when 99 others don't
I've seen this "quick" shot a few other times in the past from a geno team in the same situation --it's not one his teams have seen or done regularly. Way too many things came together --size, fouls that restrict defense, poor shooting--and the most of all Miss St shot better than well--and had 14 players (used most) and spread the fouls around which allowed them to band the hell out of uconn
and pressured Uconn well. We've seen Uconn come close this year after being beat up. Hat's off to Mss ST

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let's be serious. It was a horrible, boneheaded play. Of course it will stay with her forever. C'est la vie.

Reaction Score
It was this exactly. You could see that Chong saw the opening and immediately went for the basket. It was move I'd hope any of our players would have made, no matter what time was left. She had a step on the defender, the whole MSU team seemed to be on the side guarding the inbound still and she found what looked like an open lane to the basket. Plus, all of MSU's bigs were away from the basket so it looked like an easy lay up. It was just an amazing job by Williams to get over and recover in defense as quick as she did because Chong had her beat originally. By the time she realized her path to the basket was blocked she was too far into her drive to stop. She was out of control, and if anything, was lucky to not get called for a charge.

I agree that it would have been nice to wait longer on the clock but you don't give up what seemed to be an easy lane for the go ahead basket just so you can run more time off the clock.

Also, remember how much we struggled making any baskets in OT and most of the 4th quarter and how we couldn't get an Offensive rebound to save our life. With all that in mind, it was a no brainer that she'd take that open lane and go for the easy layup and the win.

I know that many won't see the realistic viewpoint of the situation and will instead blame Chong for shooting too early and not holding for a last second shot, but I hope she can get over it and know she made the right play.

Congrats to this team for playing as well as they did all season. They surpassed many expectations and were awesome. Miss St just played the better game and had the better game plan last night.
100% correct!!!

This wasn't Geno's fault (LMAO at Asweet, the armchair coach) nor was it Saniya's. Everyone always takes pride in the intelligence of our players. Because of that, Geno allows them to make reads on the fly. She would have held longer but saw an easy layup and you take an easy layup if it is available. A GREAT defensive hustle play screwed it up. It is just that simple.

If this game was lost anywhere, it was lost on the recruiting trail 4 years ago. We lacked size, which killed us on the boards, and we lacked depth, which led to tired legs and missed free throws. Recruiting is an inexact science and sometimes this happens, even for an ELEVEN TIME CHAMPIONSHIP COACH WHO HAS BROKEN JUST ABOUT EVERY POSSIBLE RECORD!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Actually what he said is, they go over it in practice and typically they want to have enough time on the clock for a rebound or put back. This may have been the reason Saniya started earlier than most wanted, to leave some time on the clock. Not a fan of such logic.
I was also somewhat surprised by how the entire team, minus Kia who was on the left side, where all on the right side of the court. Very little spacing and a lot of hands and traffic, making Saniya's only move to her left, with not too many passing options.
Can't complain about Geno or the team. It was a team loss, coaches and players. That same team, coaches and players, have been phenomenal all season.
She'll remember that last play, but overall she's got nothing to be ashamed about. She's had a great year, and who knows - maybe UConn would have lost already against someone in the season if not for her.

This year she had a knack for contributing when her team needed it the most, and I'd argue that until that last play, she was doing that this game as well.
One play does not lose a game. Saniya was one of the few huskies that kept us in the game. She played her heart out, as she has all year. Yes, it was a poor decision to start that early on the last possession, but without her play all game, the outcome would have been decided a lot earlier in regulation. I'm proud of what Saniya accomplished this year. She proved how vital she was to the season's success!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I always love the second guessing of people who couldn't get within the scent of Div. 1 lockeroom let alone coach a Div. 1 team wanting believe they can out think a Hall of Fame coach or a college player because in their mind someone has to be blamed. Jeepers, let it go.

Reaction Score
It was a team loss. Saniya will be ok, though losing her last game is tough. It didn't seem to hold Maya back.

Geno noted the missed FTs, 8 of them. You can't do that in a very close game.
Someone asked if it was possible that there may have been a little choking. Well 8 missed FTs by otherwise good FT shooters tells that story.

Reaction Score
Let's be serious. It was a horrible, boneheaded play. Of course it will stay with her forever. C'est la vie.

Would like to see you go out there, under that kind of pressure and see what you can do. All of you "Arm Chair Quarterbacks" need to take a chill pill and relax. Saniya Chong, as a leader, saw an opening and took a chance of making a play that could have won game. It didn't work out. Look at her overall game last evening. She, in my opinion, along with Williams played the best for UCONN. Collier and KLS were not on 'their games' at all last evening.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Would like to see you go out there, under that kind of pressure and see what you can do. All of you "Arm Chair Quarterbacks" need to take a chill pill and relax. Saniya Chong, as a leader, saw an opening and took a chance of making a play that could have won game. It didn't work out. Look at her overall game last evening. She, in my opinion, along with Williams played the best for UCONN. Collier and KLS were not on 'their games' at all last evening.

I think you need to take the pill, CM. I choked in Little League and it's still with me.
And even if Chong does make that shot, MSU had plenty of time to perhaps make a 3 for the win. It was a bad play all around, a true leader has better situational awareness.

Reaction Score
I think you need to take the pill, CM. I choked in Little League and it's still with me.
And even if Chong does make that shot, MSU had plenty of time to perhaps make a 3 for the win. It was a bad play all around, a true leader has better situational awareness.
Your problem, but maybe not Saniya's.

Reaction Score
It was this exactly. You could see that Chong saw the opening and immediately went for the basket. It was move I'd hope any of our players would have made, no matter what time was left. She had a step on the defender, the whole MSU team seemed to be on the side guarding the inbound still and she found what looked like an open lane to the basket. Plus, all of MSU's bigs were away from the basket so it looked like an easy lay up. It was just an amazing job by Williams to get over and recover in defense as quick as she did because Chong had her beat originally. By the time she realized her path to the basket was blocked she was too far into her drive to stop. She was out of control, and if anything, was lucky to not get called for a charge.

I agree that it would have been nice to wait longer on the clock but you don't give up what seemed to be an easy lane for the go ahead basket just so you can run more time off the clock.

Also, remember how much we struggled making any baskets in OT and most of the 4th quarter and how we couldn't get an Offensive rebound to save our life. With all that in mind, it was a no brainer that she'd take that open lane and go for the easy layup and the win.

I know that many won't see the realistic viewpoint of the situation and will instead blame Chong for shooting too early and not holding for a last second shot, but I hope she can get over it and know she made the right play.

Congrats to this team for playing as well as they did all season. They surpassed many expectations and were awesome. Miss St just played the better game and had the better game plan last night.
Wow, I agree with you 100%! You could not have said this any better! Thanks!

Reaction Score
Bone head play?? If that shot had gone in and Saniya gotten the foul she should have gotten --Uconn leads--their defense was more than good (I mean Uconn) at the end. If all that worked and Uconn won---brilliant , excellent, play ---
Easy to condemn --when it not you being condemned--
Let US be SERIOUS---this is the time for Uconn fan to cheer the year these kids had--and not look for the negatives
Let Us be SERIOUS-- all the moans and groans --and hindsight--won't make the game a win---accept it --cheer the great year--and move on to next year.
Im proud of the Boneyard fans that congratulated Mss St. Class---just plain class!!

Reaction Score
Someone asked if it was possible that there may have been a little choking. Well 8 missed FTs by otherwise good FT shooters tells that story.
And how many missed simple layups, mostly in the first half? I can't remember this excellent team missing easy shots like that.

Reaction Score

I disagree, missing free throws has been trending up lately.

Reaction Score
She'll remember that last play, but overall she's got nothing to be ashamed about. She's had a great year, and who knows - maybe UConn would have lost already against someone in the season if not for her.

This year she had a knack for contributing when her team needed it the most, and I'd argue that until that last play, she was doing that this game as well.
I don't agree with her making that play but it would be ridiculous to bash her because she contributed so much to this team on the court and I'm sure so much to previous teams off the court. A sweet and talented young lady who finally got a chance to show what she was capable of. Great season, Saniya!

Reaction Score
And let's give credit to that defender, who was none other than Morgan William. In an instant that open lane was closed, and Saniya didn't recognize the closure quickly enough. That was emblematic of the defensive play that has carried MSU this far and won them this game.

And please please please ... in any close loss, there were literally dozens of plays that could have made the difference. Let's not be those people who focus only on the last one.
We should give credit to Morgan William for getting away with a foul? It was, you know!

Reaction Score
Why not? She bailed us out in the first game of the year when this streak could have ended right there. She's had a great year. At least she had the guts to try to make something happen. A bunch of our other guys didn't act enough like themselves tonight so she tried to lead. That's an awesome thing to do. She has my thanks and admiration.
I'm certainly not going to condemn her for what she did but conversely, are you suggesting that she's somewhat of a hero, trying to pull a lackluster team out of their lethargy? Saniya gave her all and it didn't work out but it wasn't the play to make, at that point.

Reaction Score
People who thinks you should hold the ball till the last few seconds before trying to score are nuts! With 18 secs left, you score when you can, and let your defense do the work. I think Brady and or Belichick said the same thing in the last Superbowl.
Are you serious, comparing football and basketball in this scenario? Absolutely no comparison at all! In football you always score, when you can, unless you're talking about a possible game winning field goal, when you have a first down on the 20 yard line and the best field goal kicker in the world. Then you might run a play or two to reduce the amount of time the opposing team would have to score. Basketball is radically different. You don't even think about starting a play from where she did, with more 10 seconds on the clock. The only exception you might have is if someone is wide open under the basket and a good pass leads to an opposed layup. Other than that, no way, Jose!

Reaction Score
Honestly , I am just appalled by everyone. Several times in the tourney players on different teams afraid to take " the big shot ". Here you have a player in control of the ball driving to the rim with 12 sec., trying to win the game . The defensive player not only is not set but is angled to the defender . Contact occurs landing both playrrs on the floor. NO CALL. ARE YOU KIDDING ME ? I guess it's ok to swallow the whistle when it's " anyone but uconn " !
It's been said that it was an obvious foul and I agree that it was but then again, some referees don't make that call in the waning seconds of any game. You don't go with the idea that the foul will be called. She made a big mistake but you win as a team or you lose as a team and I'm sure her teammates stood behind her. The whole team seemed to be out of sync for the majority of the game. We were blessed to a wonderful season by some amazing young women. Already looking forward to next year!

Reaction Score

I and so many others know that though SHE WAS FOULED, that it wasn't the play to make at that point and what happened previously has nothing to do with what is the right thing to do. If you haven't made a shot earlier, would you suggest that that person no longer attempts a shot. What happened earlier has absolutely no relevance. William shot the ball at something like 33% or 34% and yet, she shot the game winning shot. Should she have passed off to someone shooting at a higher level in the game? If you talked to 300 division coaches, I'd be astounded if there would be even 5 of them that might advocate what you're saying. That isn't the way to play the game, period!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I and so many others know that though SHE WAS FOULED, that it wasn't the play to make at that point and what happened previously has nothing to do with what is the right thing to do. If you haven't made a shot earlier, would you suggest that that person no longer attempts a shot. What happened earlier has absolutely no relevance. William shot the ball at something like 33% or 34% and yet, she shot the game winning shot. Should she have passed off to someone shooting at a higher level in the game? If you talked to 300 division coaches, I'd be astounded if there would be even 5 of them that might advocate what you're saying. That isn't the way to play the game, period!
There's video posted in another. Look at the play again.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom