Geno: Paige Bueckers should be able to enter WNBA draft, but staying helps her 'build a brand' | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno: Paige Bueckers should be able to enter WNBA draft, but staying helps her 'build a brand'

Reaction Score
SAN ANTONIO -- UConn coach Geno Auriemma said he would support a one-and-done environment in women's college basketball, saying that student-athletes like his freshman star, Paige Bueckers, "should have choices to how they want to live their lives and how they want to take control of their own lives."

Draft-entry restrictions are part of the WNBA's current collective bargaining agreement. Unlike in the men's game, in which players can turn pro after one season, most women's players are not eligible for the WNBA draft until after their fourth year in college. There are some exceptions for juniors: if they have been in school for four years, if they turn 22 during the year of the draft, or if they graduate within three months of the draft.

A one and done platform would damage Women's College Basketball....I hope it never happens.

Reaction Score
I agree that players should have a choice, but by having that choice, they have the ability to make the wrong one. Yes, Bueckers could enter after this season and likely go #1, but I am skeptical how effective she would be in the W at this age. Those players are A LOT stronger, quicker, and experienced. Would she learn and grow and become an all WNBA type player, absolutely. But if players go one and done on the women's side, I think you would see fewer WNBA ready players from day one. Stewart is an example of a player who could have been one and done, but I'm not so sure how effective she would have been. By the time she left Connecticut, she developed into a player ready to play at close to MVP level from day one.

The other side would be the diluted talent in the college game. Bueckers and Clark are going to be staples in the WCBB world until they graduate. If they left, that would be two superstar shoes that needed to be filled. You'd likely see a lot of mid-majors be more competetive by putting out more senior laden teams compared to the P5 schools with younger rosters. It would mimic more of what you see on the men's side with the issue being that the overall talent pool for women is smaller at this point.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I agree that players should have a choice, but by having that choice, they have the ability to make the wrong one. Yes, Bueckers could enter after this season and likely go #1, but I am skeptical how effective she would be in the W at this age. Those players are A LOT stronger, quicker, and experienced. Would she learn and grow and become an all WNBA type player, absolutely. But if players go one and done on the women's side, I think you would see fewer WNBA ready players from day one. Stewart is an example of a player who could have been one and done, but I'm not so sure how effective she would have been. By the time she left Connecticut, she developed into a player ready to play at close to MVP level from day one.

The other side would be the diluted talent in the college game. Bueckers and Clark are going to be staples in the WCBB world until they graduate. If they left, that would be two superstar shoes that needed to be filled. You'd likely see a lot of mid-majors be more competetive by putting out more senior laden teams compared to the P5 schools with younger rosters. It would mimic more of what you see on the men's side with the issue being that the overall talent pool for women is smaller at this point.
Yes, there are complex arguments on both sides but in the end, a player should have choices in how to further their career and hope all those around them will help navigate the choices to make the best decision for them.

Reaction Score
Most young BB players do not make life changing decisions by themselves. Parents, agents, friends and others are people who are directly or indirectly involved. One and done is about letting women young BB having a choice. WNBA and the Players Union are negotiating a CBA which should benefit both and hopefully all women BB players old or young. IMHO, PB will not leave UConn for the WNBA tor the once in a life opportunity for a college education and experience. But she should have that choice.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Someone might decide to bring a lawsuit against the WNBA, and they would have a good case.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
A one and done platform would damage Women's College Basketball....I hope it never happens.
With the number of slots in the WNBA so limited, leaving super early can only apply to a handful of players at best. Hardly a death knell. And if the NIL opens up, these super stars can earn more in college than a rookie contract in the WNBA. The world is changing. No going back.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Paige and Caitlyn's response when asked by Doug Feinberg. Title seems a bit misleading in Paige's case the common theme is having the choice.

"I'm a believer in living in the now and right now I don't have that choice," said Bueckers, the UConn phenom and former Hopkins High School star who was honored Wednesday as the first freshman to be named The Associated Press women's basketball player of the year. "I'm focused on college right now. In the future, I feel like that option for future college students might be there."

Clark, who led the NCAA in scoring this season and was second in assists, feels that the women's players should be allowed to turn pro after their freshman year, like the men can.

"Boys have it, so why can't the women's game have it as well?" the Iowa freshman said. "It's not something I've thought about a lot since it's never been something for women."
If they are allowed to leave early, the WNBA has to expand. A lot of good players now can't make rosters, so the opportunities will be less and less. Its like life, people die and people are born. Players retire and players are drafted. We are not at the point where it is a given that good players will find work, and as they make this decision they lose the opportunity to play the game they love without the pressure from money hungry team owners. Getting the education that they are getting for free will carry on after basketball, something they will need if they can't play or get injured. Men don't care.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
If they are allowed to leave early, the WNBA has to expand. A lot of good players now can't make rosters, so the opportunities will be less and less. Its like life, people die and people are born. Players retire and players are drafted. We are not at the point where it is a given that good players will find work, and as they make this decision they lose the opportunity to play the game they love without the pressure from money hungry team owners. Getting the education that they are getting for free will carry on after basketball, something they will need if they can't play or get injured. Men don't care.
First off the WNBA is a business, I wonder how many as you say money hungry team owners have gotten much of a return of investment on their teams. The time may come where the owners of a WNBA team become fat cats from the team alone but that time is not yet. I don't get your men don't care finish, what men are you referring to? It would appear you are a man, just guessing, but it looks like you care. I care and my bet would be that most that post here are men who care.

Reaction Score
The WNBA is desperate for a new marketable star and is desperate for Paige to enter.
They are going to change the rules to get her early.
except we don’t know what she wants !

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
except we don’t know what she wants !
I think we know: 3 years of passing the ball to another Husky - Azzi Fudd. Then they can go as a package deal to Minnesota or Seattle. Don't forget Paige can stay in school and make mucho danero once they get the rules together.

Reaction Score

How is having a choice different from every other adult in this country?

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I thought his comment about Caitlin was the most telling - honestly Uconn would miss Paige but would survive just fine in terms of the program, but a Caitlin Clark at Iowa has a chance to raise that program up to a new level of prominence. Same as Wilson at SC or Sabrina out west. If those kids jump after a year or two, it would have really hurt their programs significantly.

Reaction Score
How is having a choice different from every other adult in this country?
I never said it was different. I do believe they should have a choice. Just trying to explain my thoughts on what impact changing the current system would have. You'll have players leave early who are and aren't ready, players who stay who were/weren't ready, and likely have less overall talent in WCBB.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
First off the WNBA is a business, I wonder how many as you say money hungry team owners have gotten much of a return of investment on their teams. The time may come where the owners of a WNBA team become fat cats from the team alone but that time is not yet. I don't get your men don't care finish, what men are you referring to? It would appear you are a man, just guessing, but it looks like you care. I care and my bet would be that most that post here are men who care.
I meant men players. Money talks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom