Geno on the Three 2016 Recruits | The Boneyard

Geno on the Three 2016 Recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Can't figure this out about Bent. Went to Barnstable H.S. for two years, a straight A student and awarded ESPN All-Scholastic Team her sophomore year. Transfers to Tabor Academy and has to repeat her sophomore year, where she proceeds to earn high honors. What gives? Anyone know?

Reaction Score
Can't figure this out about Bent. Went to Barnstable H.S. for two years, a straight A student and awarded ESPN All-Scholastic Team her sophomore year. Transfers to Tabor Academy and has to repeat her sophomore year, where she proceeds to earn high honors. What gives? Anyone know?

She didn't HAVE to repeat her sophomore year; she CHOSE to repeat her sophomore year. No one calls it redshirting, but high school kids do that all the time. A player one year older is obviously in a much stronger position to compete athletically. She couldn't have done that at a public high school, but the rules permit it for private academies. Male football, basketball and baseball players quite often repeat their senior years at a private academy to have a second chance at Division I scholarships or, in the case of baseball players, to improve their draft position without having to wait until the end of the junior year of college to be eligible.

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info - I did realize that the men do it all the time in football and basketball after their senor H.S. year, but mostly due to poor grades, because they simply cannot get into a Div. 1 college in the first place. I just thought it odd, someone would do it in as a sophomore, with outstanding grades. You would think a school which prides itself on academic success would really discourage that. I surmise Tabor Academy is more of a sports factor than a institute of education.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm guessing that Tabor is more rigorous academically than Barnstable, so it may have been done to get her acclimated to the new level. It also gave her another year to develop her game. The way I'm looking at it is that we stole a recruit from Harvard. ;)

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I'm scratching my head too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when she gets here. All we know about her is what we read in media clips and, articles, or posts by commenters that have independent knowledge of her, or have seen her play. We're all hoping they can come in and make a smooth and quick transition to the college game. The staff must feel that she has a skill set they like, and feel will fit seamlessly into the program.

Molly has received scholarship offers from as many as 12 Division 1 NCAA women’s basketball programs. At least 5 "Ivy League" schools (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown) have tendered scholarship offers as well, which suggests that her academic level of achievement is exceptional.

So while she did not make the ESPN 's "Hoopgurlz" top 100 list for the class of 2016, she obviously played well enough to garner some attention from some major programs.

Let's hope she's one of those "hidden gems" that the staff can buff out and polish to a blinding sheen. Our competition continues to recruit and sign 5 star players at all 5 positions. Hopefully these ladies can come in, and hit the ground running and perform as advertised. If they are able to live up their billing, I'm sure we'll be pleased with their work.

Last edited:

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm scratching my head too. I guess we'll just have to wait and see when she gets here. All we know about her is what we read in media clips and, articles, or posts by commenters that have independent knowledge of her, or have seen her play. We're all hoping they can come in and make a smooth and quick transition to the college game. The staff must feel that she has a skill set they like, and feel will fit seamlessly into the program.

Molly has received scholarship offers from as many as 12 Division 1 NCAA women’s basketball programs. At least 5 "Ivy League" schools (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown) have tendered scholarship offers as well, which suggests that her academic level of achievement is exceptional.

So while she did not make the ESPN 's "Hoopgurlz" top 100 list for the class of 2016, she obviously played well enough to garner some attention from some major programs.

Let's hope she's one of those "hidden gems" that the staff can buff out and polish to a blinding sheen. Our competition continues to recruit and sign 5 star players at all 5 positions. The incoming class of 2016 needs to come in, and hit the ground running and perform as advertised. If they are able to live up their billing, I'm sure we'll be pleased with their work.
I think Blake Dietrick could have been a major contributor if she had played at UConn.

Reaction Score
Many of the top prep schools have tons of "red shirts". It makes them money and helps their sports programs. In addition to the sports mentioned, it is very common in lacrosse.

Reaction Score
Ivy league schools don't offer athletic scholarships

True, although it's interesting how often athletes (or frequently their parents) claim to have an Ivy "scholarship" offer. In reality, it is only need-based aid and/or an offer to receive one of the admission slots for a given sport, meaning much better chance to get in.

Reaction Score
Hence the statement "At least 5 "Ivy League" schools (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown) have tendered scholarship offers as well, which suggests that her academic level of achievement is exceptional."

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
I couldn't help but think about the show Gilmore Girls. Rory transfers from public to private school and there is great concern over whether she will fall behind in academics. Maybe Barnstable is like Stars Hollow high and Tabor is like Chilton?

On a less obscure note, repeating a year at tougher school would seem to be a logical move for one who was angling to get into an Ivy and wanted to beef up the academic resume.

Reaction Score

I live in Massachusetts and repeating a year when transferring from a public school to a top prep school is pretty common, especially when the transfer happens in high school. The academic rigor of a top prep school is usually much higher than a public high school and it makes sense to repeat a year to catch up to your peers.

Reaction Score
True, Ivy League schools don't offer "scholarships". But they often have financial aid criteria that allows a family with income In the $150,000-$200,000 range to be eligible for aid. De facto - a scholarship.

Reaction Score
Can shed some light on this from personal experience both as one who did take a PG after senior year in HS and as one who interviews applicants from our local area for an Ivy university.
My dad, a much wiser man than myself, had experience as a coach, physics and algebra teacher, guidance counselor, and later as an administrator. In my senior year, he sat me down and said that he knew that I was prepared to and planing to head off to college along with my classmates. But he told me he thought I should consider going to a prep school for a year IF I could merit a substantial scholarship to a good one. I didn't want any part of being a "preppy," but his reasons were very persuasive:
It was the time of the Korean war. Dad said he would much rather see me go into the military from prep school than see me have my college career interrupted mid-stream. He added that as one of the youngest kids in my class (his way of noting my immaturity perhaps) it would give me a year to catch up age-wise. His third reason I've forgotten but it was solid. All IF I could land that scholarship.
After his death it occurred to me that he probably had a fourth: I'd been injured in my senior basketball season on a team which was thought to have a reasonable shot at the state title, and I feel pretty sure he must have wanted me to be able to have a complete final year on the court, though due to his passing I could never confirm that. Grades were never an issue - did well enough on that front.
So, there are many, many reasons why someone might take another year at the secondary level.
To one other issue in the thread: some Ivies at least are now indeed need-based regarding scholarships as has been pointed out by Stamford. That is a relatively recent development. And, need based or not, having a well-developed ability in a specific area, including but certainly NOT limited to athletics (could be the cello, for example) , has been a factor in gaining admission to Ivy schoosl for many decades; some focus more on sports than others, depending on current administration, athletic tradition, etc.
One final point to the thread: In the past several years, only one Ivy women's basketball program has reigned supreme.

Reaction Score
True, Ivy League schools don't offer "scholarships". But they often have financial aid criteria that allows a family with income In the $150,000-$200,000 range to be eligible for aid. De facto - a scholarship.

True for some Ivy's. I don't think the ones other than HYP give aid in normal cases for those with family incomes above $150K however.

The schools don't consider that a "scholarship" since it is strictly need-based and has nothing to do with academics, athletic ability, or anything other than family financials.

Reaction Score
Hence the statement "At least 5 "Ivy League" schools (Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown) have tendered scholarship offers as well, which suggests that her academic level of achievement is exceptional."

If she got Ivy offers, her level of academic achievement clearly is high. But to get a "scholarship" offer - which really is just need-based financial aid - has nothing to do with academic or athletic ability, other than she had good enough grades to get admitted as an athlete.

Reaction Score

As I've mentioned before I know Molly and her dad in passing (I won't claim to know them very well) but I do know some people who know her pretty well (a couple of her high school teammates and some people who are involved with the RI Breakers) and I've watched her play many times. When she was making the transition to Tabor she was unable to play in any of the AAU tournaments over that summer due to an injury so being basically an unknown in the eyes of college programs due to not playing in front of them at all (previously was a soccer player) during what would have been her Junior year of high school had an impact on her decision to repeat a year instead of go in as a true Junior. Though I'm not 100% sure I've heard that her original plan was to take mostly college level courses this year, I don't know if that plan is still in place or if she is just taking normal senior classes.

Reaction Score
To one other issue in the thread: some Ivies at least are now indeed need-based regarding scholarships as has been pointed out by Stamford. That is a relatively recent development. And, need based or not, having a well-developed ability in a specific area, including but certainly NOT limited to athletics (could be the cello, for example) , has been a factor in gaining admission to Ivy schoosl for many decades; some focus more on sports than others, depending on current administration, athletic tradition, etc.

Actually true for many years - and for all Ivy's. Not a relatively new development - unless relatively new means decades. Definitely true that having a well-developed ability is very important in the admissions process. Harvard and others reject a huge number of applicants each year who have perfect SAT scores, especially if they are Asian.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

2Husky - I went back to my source of information and read the article again. You're correct. The article said that she had garnered "interest" of said Ivy League schools.
There was no mention of scholarships being offered by them. I stand corrected, Thank you. :oops:

My source was CAPECOD.COM - November 23, 2014
As of this week, the Tabor Academy (Marion, MA) junior soccer and basketball star has received scholarship offers from as many as 12 Division 1 NCAA women’s basketball programs.

Centerville’s Molly Bent, a Tabor Academy junior basketball star, has generated a dozen collegiate basketball scholarship offers this year, as well as interest from a half dozen Ivy League schools. Addition to being heavily recruited by the vast majority of the Ivy League schools. To date, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown have all expressed interest in having the fleet-footed, sure-handed 5’9” point guard matriculate to their hallowed halls, with Princeton likely near the top of the list in terms of overall interest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If she got Ivy offers, her level of academic achievement clearly is high. But to get a "scholarship" offer - which really is just need-based financial aid - has nothing to do with academic or athletic ability, other than she had good enough grades to get admitted as an athlete.
So I read from your post immediately preceding mine. Of course I was composing my post at the time and didn't have the benefit of that wisdom before posting. The Boneyard could really a "Do yourself a favor and don't waste your time with this nonsense" button that the author could to alert others he's seen the error of his ways. In my defense, this was hours ago so I think this should be blamed on my youth.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Additional interesting comments from the coach on the recruits:

http://snyuconn.com/uconn/geno-has-high-expectations-for-new-class/

Permit a "meha," a reverse "ahem," as I invite your attention to the superlative quality of Carl Adamec's prose in the link. To me, it's journalistic perfection.

Please indulge me as I hone in (remember?) on an issue that Carl handles with precision -- and which most writers get wrong. When citing a place (including city + state or city + foreign country) in mid-sentence, he nails it with that second comma (after the name of the state or nation) . Three examples:
". . . from Murfreesboro, Tennessee, is rated. . ."
". . .from Centerville, Massachusetts, played. . ."
". . . in Chekhov, Russia, last summer. . ."
And one for good measure:

"Storrs, Connecticut, is the home of the UConn Huskies." :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2Husky - I went back to my source of information and read the article again. You're correct. The article said that she had garnered "interest" of said Ivy League schools.
There was no mention of scholarships being offered by them. I stand corrected, Thank you. :oops:

My source was CAPECOD.COM - November 23, 2014
As of this week, the Tabor Academy (Marion, MA) junior soccer and basketball star has received scholarship offers from as many as 12 Division 1 NCAA women’s basketball programs.

Centerville’s Molly Bent, a Tabor Academy junior basketball star, has generated a dozen collegiate basketball scholarship offers this year, as well as interest from a half dozen Ivy League schools. Addition to being heavily recruited by the vast majority of the Ivy League schools. To date, Princeton, Harvard, Yale, Dartmouth and Brown have all expressed interest in having the fleet-footed, sure-handed 5’9” point guard matriculate to their hallowed halls, with Princeton likely near the top of the list in terms of overall interest.

It's actually surprising that this paper used correct terminology. What you'll find, however, is that literally thousands of newspapers will print articles saying a player had a scholarship offer from an Ivy. It's technically never true - but the player (or more likely the parents) like to claim they had a scholarship offer. And 99% of sports writers don't have any idea that there are no Ivy scholarships. The same used to be true for Patriot League football, where perhaps 25% of their recruits had articles talking about the football scholarship they were receiving - which in fact was only need-based aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom