Geno on Playing DePaul, ND and South Carolina | The Boneyard

Geno on Playing DePaul, ND and South Carolina

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
from John A's blog: http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/auriemma-on-playing-nd-depaul-and-south-carolina/

On DePaul: “Doug Bruno [the DePaul coach and Auriemma's great friend] came up to me and said he really wanted to continue the series if there’s any way we can do it,” Auriemma said. “I said, ‘Fine.’ Then it was just a matter of working it out and I didn’t care where the game [next season] would be played. He told me he needed the game to be [in Connecticut]. so it was just a matter of finding a date. That was painless.”

On Notre Dame: “Notre Dame was a different story. It was difficult. But I did see where Muffet said that we need the game more than [the Irish] do. So I really appreciate her giving us the chance to play them again. i don’t know where we would be without their help the last 10 years or so. Any time you get the chance to play The University of Notre Dame, I don’t think you can pass it up.”

On South Carolina: “The South Carolina game was a product of Deb Corum [UConn's senior athletic administrator] trying to spread [the non-conference schedule] around a little. the focus of it is take the five best conferences in the country and figure out how to balance it out [with series] to get a good mix without it being top heavy.”

“For a while it got kind of top heavy with ACC teams, Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, Georgia Tech. We tried to set things up with a couple SEC teams [Tennessee and Georgia] didn’t want to play. But South Carolina wanted to play. So that’s how it came about.”

Reaction Score
On Notre Dame: “Notre Dame was a different story. It was difficult. But I did see where Muffet said that we need the game more than [the Irish] do. So I really appreciate her giving us the chance to play them again. i don’t know where we would be without their help the last 10 years or so. Any time you get the chance to play The University of Notre Dame, I don’t think you can pass it up.”

Love it. Classic Geno.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
So much for that mythical "friendship" between Geno and Muffet.

Et tu, Brute!

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
"We tried to set things up with a couple SEC teams [Tennessee and Georgia] didn’t want to play. But South Carolina wanted to play. So that’s how it came about.”

A couple of weeks ago Holly Warlick commented on Tenn's scheduling difficulties saying that teams have decided not to play the Lady Vols.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
"We tried to set things up with a couple SEC teams [Tennessee and Georgia] didn’t want to play. But South Carolina wanted to play. So that’s how it came about.”

A couple of weeks ago Holly Warlick commented on Tenn's scheduling difficulties saying that teams have decided not to play the Lady Vols.
Oops, shouldn't have said.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't question the friendship Geno has with Muffet based on this quote. Muffet is very competitive and this sounds like she couldn't resist a small zing at CT. Mostly she's pretty careful.

Reaction Score
It does not really matter on way or another, but UCONN and the Lady Vols will both have the same issue with scheduling Top 10 teams............The only difference is The Vols want no part of UCONN in season.......Duke, UNC, Ga, Texas, OK, UCLA, USC, ASU are all running away for UCONN............Too bad!! Take a look at the OCS and they are very weak...........MD has not played a team in the top 15 outside of UCONN......SAD

Reaction Score
from John A's blog: http://courantblogs.com/uconn-women/auriemma-on-playing-nd-depaul-and-south-carolina/

On DePaul: “Doug Bruno [the DePaul coach and Auriemma's great friend] came up to me and said he really wanted to continue the series if there’s any way we can do it,” Auriemma said. “I said, ‘Fine.’ Then it was just a matter of working it out and I didn’t care where the game [next season] would be played. He told me he needed the game to be [in Connecticut]. so it was just a matter of finding a date. That was painless.”

On South Carolina: “The South Carolina game was a product of Deb Corum [UConn's senior athletic administrator] trying to spread [the non-conference schedule] around a little. the focus of it is take the five best conferences in the country and figure out how to balance it out [with series] to get a good mix without it being top heavy.”

“For a while it got kind of top heavy with ACC teams, Duke, North Carolina, Maryland, Georgia Tech. We tried to set things up with a couple SEC teams [Tennessee and Georgia] didn’t want to play. But South Carolina wanted to play. So that’s how it came about.”

Too bad we are playing ND. Not because of the comments. They are cool gamesmanship. Just for the point, they are the most arrogant university in the nation. However- good competition.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
It does not really matter on way or another, but UCONN and the Lady Vols will both have the same issue with scheduling Top 10 teams............The only difference is The Vols want no part of UCONN in season.......Duke, UNC, Ga, Texas, OK, UCLA, USC, ASU are all running away for UCONN............Too bad!! Take a look at the OCS and they are very weak...........MD has not played a team in the top 15 outside of UCONN......SAD
Geno dropped UNC.
Duke hasn't said no....yet.
Georgia, 1t.
Geno is stil very friendly with Oklahoma. I believe they are just taking a break.
Texas? I hadn't heard about them.

Sure there are teams what won't play UConn. Screw 'em. UConn will find others.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, I think Geno dropped UNC after a number of non-competitive games and because we had begun to get ACC heavy in our OOC - not sure if it was a mutual think with UNC, or one sided. If this class develops, it might be a nice addition if Duke decides to take a break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom