Geno jokingly trying to get Tuck to come back next yr. | The Boneyard

Geno jokingly trying to get Tuck to come back next yr.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Well I ain't jokin". Morgan, I know it's better for you to leave in so many ways. Better for you to move on with your life and experience this big world outside of UConn. But I'm selfish. PLE-E-E-E-E-E-SE. come back.

Reaction Score
If Morgan is on the fence at all, then how about this as her reason for coming back and not sure if mentioned before, but... Morgan...how would you like to be the first, and only player in NCAA history to win FIVE national championships in WCBB?!? UConn would have an even greater chance of making that a reality, if you come back!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Well I ain't jokin". Morgan, I know it's better for you to leave in so many ways. Better for you to move on with your life and experience this big world outside of UConn. But I'm selfish. PLE-E-E-E-E-E-SE. come back.
Why better? Morgan gets a free Master's degree in a relatively short period of time if she stays. If she leaves, she has to pay and she can only study part time.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Why better? Morgan gets a free Master's degree in a relatively short period of time if she stays. If she leaves, she has to pay and she can only study part time.
Well as CoCoHusky said there are a few factors. It's not a guarantee she'd be accepted into the program. Playing BB and devoting herself to her studies would be a problem. Why risk an injury that would end her BB career? It's not like her campus life in a dorm is high living. There's a entire world of experience out there that doesn't bleed Husky blue. How much cache is a degree from UConn as compared to say, Stanford (depending on field choice of course)? Coco made other points which now escape me. Yeah, she could, if accepted, get 1 year toward her degree. But an advanced degree would generally be two years where the risk of injury remains. Well, I know how I'd vote. But mine and yours don't count.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well as CoCoHusky said there are a few factors. It's not a guarantee she'd be accepted into the program.
Really???

It's not like her campus life in a dorm is high living.
She's not living in a dorm. She's in an apartment. Which she'll be in if she leaves too. However, she'll have to pay for that one.

There's a entire world of experience out there that doesn't bleed Husky blue.
Yep, and it'll be there next year too.

I would love to have her stay and get her Master's. But it's entirely up to her. She's got to make the right choice for her.

JordyG

Reaction Score
Really???

She's not living in a dorm. She's in an apartment. Which she'll be in if she leaves too. However, she'll have to pay for that one.

I would love to have her stay and get her Master's. But it's entirely up to her. She's got to make the right choice for her.
Again how much cache in the job market does a Masters from UCONN have? From what I remember from my experience, a masters takes more than the year of scholarship she still has. It's not easy. How much will playing interfere with her studies? Yeah, the Masters will still be there for her. Just not necessarily at UConn. Also, what makes you believe she is a lock for acceptance? As I understand there are certain life experience requirements she doesn't have. Do you believe the acceptance committee will simply gloss over these?

Reaction Score
Really???

Agree. Can't help feeling though that the complete game she's been playing lately passing scoring inside and outside rebounding is an incredible audition for WNBA coaches....

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Again how much cache in the job market does a Masters from UCONN have? From what I remember from my experience, a masters takes more than the year of scholarship she still has. It's not easy. How much will playing interfere with her studies? Yeah, the Masters will still be there for her. Just not necessarily at UConn. Also, what makes you believe she is a lock for acceptance? As I understand there are certain life experience requirements she doesn't have. Do you believe the acceptance committee will simply gloss over these?
She plays for UCONN, she'll get accepted.

Agree though, depending on what and how she wants to do it, it could take longer than a year. But even an MBA could be done in a year (she's a business major). I mean if she's gonna be around in the summer anyway....

And agree, her playing for UCONN probably has more cache in the job market than a Masters. But why not pick one up for free. Don't really know what she wants to do after basketball.

I'm thinking she'll probably jump to the WNBA. But I can hold out hope since she hasn't officially made her decision yet.

JordyG

Reaction Score

Agree though, depending on what and how she wants to do it, it could take longer than a year. But even an MBA could be done in a year (she's a business major). I mean if she's gonna be around in the summer anyway....

And agree, her playing for UCONN probably has more cache in the job market than a Masters. But why not pick one up for free. Don't really know what she wants to do after basketball.

I'm thinking she'll probably jump to the WNBA. But I can hold out hope since she hasn't officially made her decision yet.
Well, let's just agree to hope against hope. I will just repeat. PLEEEEESE.

Reaction Score
IMO her acceptance to a UCONN grad program would be virtually "automatic" due to her UCONN celebrity status and value to the institution. However, even if this were not the case, 1) I don't know her collegiate academic performance, but suspect she has stayed in character with her high school GPA of 3.83, and 2) also suspect her UCONN WBB experience represents an extremely rich "life experience" - how many kids can put "Achieved 4 NCAA D1 national championships" on their application, not to mention the extensive domestic and foreign travel? Slam dunk.

Last edited:

wire chief

Testmeister
Reaction Score
In my heart I want Morgan to leave. I mean how many young women can you look at that are as ready for Big Peopleland
as Morgan. Such an unflappable demeanor. Yes, players always say they want to improve, but in Morgan's case she has mastered college ball.
Like nobody.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In my heart I want Morgan to leave. I mean how many young women can you look at that are as ready for Big Peopleland
as Morgan. Such an unflappable demeanor. Yes, players always say they want to improve, but in Morgan's case she has mastered college ball.
Like nobody.
Good point, she doesn't have a lot left to prove at the college level. IF she doesn't make AA status, then yea I guess she could have something left to prove. But even that, might be more important to us than her.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
IMO her acceptance to a UCONN grad program would be virtually "automatic" due to her UCONN celebrity status and value to the institution. However, even if this were not the case, 1) I don't know her collegiate academic performance, but suspect she has stayed in character with her high school GPA of 3.83, and 2) also suspect her UCONN WBB experience represents an extremely rich "life experience" - how many kids can put "Achieved 4 NCAA D1 national championships" on their application, not to mention the extensive domestic and foreign travel? Slam dunk.

The minimum "accelerated" path to getting a UCONN MBA takes 16 Months.
http://mba.uconn.edu/about/flexible-completion-paths/16-month-accelerated-mba-path/

If the Dean of the business school wants to do Morgan a solid and accept her into the Business school (because she played for UCONN) that would be a disservice to all the other applicants and to Morgan.
A disservice to the other applicants who have on average 4.6 years of work experience and have achieve minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.49, GMAT scores of 630. I have no idea what Morgan's GPA is/was or her GMAT scores but I know she does not have 4.6 years of work experience. This will be a severe disadvantage because learning is based on real life case studies to which Morgan will not be able to relate.
http://mba.uconn.edu/mba-2016/

A disservice to Morgan because a significant part of the business school curriculum is based on group assignments that actually requires you to be present, participate and learn from the other business school students.
Morgan's commitment to her group in an MBA program could easily surpass (in hours) her current commitment to the UCONN WCBB program.
https://www.quora.com/How-much-time...p-MBA-programs-spend-on-school-work-each-week

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
If Morgan is on the fence at all, then how about this as her reason for coming back and not sure if mentioned before, but... Morgan...how would you like to be the first, and only player in NCAA history to win FIVE national championships in WCBB?!? UConn would have an even greater chance of making that a reality, if you come back!!

One other possibility:

If indeed UConn wins six straight NCAA tournament games to close out this season, UConn would have an active 75-game winning streak. What if Morgan wanted to pursue and experience 91 in a row? It's unique to WCBB and to playing WCBB at UConn.

Just sayin'...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
http://mba.uconn.edu/about/flexible-completion-paths/16-month-accelerated-mba-path/

If the Dean of the business school wants to do Morgan a solid and accept her into the Business school (because she played for UCONN) that would be a disservice to all the other applicants and to Morgan.
A disservice to the other applicants who have on average 4.6 years of work experience and have achieve minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.49, GMAT scores of 630. I have no idea what Morgan's GPA is/was or her GMAT scores but I know she does not have 4.6 years of work experience. This will be a severe disadvantage because learning is based on real life case studies to which Morgan will not be able to relate.

A disservice to Morgan because a significant part of the business school curriculum is based on group assignments that actually requires you to be present, participate and learn from the other business school students.
Morgan's commitment to her group in an MBA program could easily surpass (in hours) her current commitment to the UCONN WCBB program.
https://www.quora.com/How-much-time...p-MBA-programs-spend-on-school-work-each-week
Disservice all you want. She'd still get in. I have no idea if she'd even want an MBA??? Maybe she'd want a MS in Business Analytics or Project Management? Maybe a Leadership & Diversity in Sports Management Certificate??

Lots of schools allow for completion in a year (a busy year), I guess UCONN is just a little slow.

But probably irrelevant anyway. I get the feeling she's leaning more towards WNBA anyway at this point in her life.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
She has been along for the ride with her two classmates and she and they have been fantastic - but if she were to come back next year, it would be a very different situation and one she would dominate from a leadership perspective. That in itself would be a new learning experience for her growth both as a player and a person, and fits into her reported personality quite well. And that is just on the team - academically, graduate school is a very different level than college. The professors and the students are at a very different level of engagement - this is no longer 'punching that ticket of a BA degree' that is a right of passage, it is a professional choice that only a small percentage of the population makes, and a leap not unlike that from HS to college.

People are always in a rush to see what the next fence hides, but there is usually a lot to explore on this side before you climb the fence and throw the ladder down behind you.

I have no idea what Morgan will choose, and I find the statements 'She should ______', to be a little presumptuous - unless they conclude 'make the decision that is best for her.' Not unlike the statements that get made about recruits who don't choose Uconn.

I hope she stays, I will be happy for her if she goes, and neither decision would be a mistake.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Coco - not to put to fine a line but ... disservice! BS. (and not bachelor of science! :eek:) Just about any program in the country would jump at a candidate like Morgan and while the average is 4.5 years of work experience, I am sure there are a number of students with 10 years and a number with none. And four years of working for the Uconn WBB team is I suspect a much more rigorous work environment than many of the other students have experienced. I have no idea what her GPA is but suspect it is high enough that graduate school is a real consideration for her and not some fantasy she concocted out of thin air.

Would she take a full course load or try to compete the MBA by next spring - no idea, but suspect it is unlikely. As for the time commitment - yes, it is significant, but not that much more significant than a serious undergraduate student makes and from all accounts she is one. Might team commitments create a few conflicts - yes, but not insurmountable ones and if she took a slightly reduced course load than a student trying for an 16-18 month degree I suspect it would be quite manageable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco - not to put to fine a line but ... disservice! BS. (and not bachelor of science! :eek:) Just about any program in the country would jump at a candidate like Morgan and while the average is 4.5 years of work experience, I am sure there are a number of students with 10 years and a number with none. And four years of working for the Uconn WBB team is I suspect a much more rigorous work environment than many of the other students have experienced. I have no idea what her GPA is but suspect it is high enough that graduate school is a real consideration for her and not some fantasy she concocted out of thin air.

Would she take a full course load or try to compete the MBA by next spring - no idea, but suspect it is unlikely. As for the time commitment - yes, it is significant, but not that much more significant than a serious undergraduate student makes and from all accounts she is one. Might team commitments create a few conflicts - yes, but not insurmountable ones and if she took a slightly reduced course load than a student trying for an 16-18 month degree I suspect it would be quite manageable.

UC this is "business" school and business knowledge we are talking about. UCONN women's basketball is a business where Morgan is intentionally removed from where UCONN WCBB business decisions are being made because of that thing called the NCAA. Morgan cannot for example "manage" a real project with a real budget on behalf of the UCONN Athletic department. I use this as an example because that is one of the essays you have to write to get admitted to any good business school. She cannot have a part time job is season (August -April). Her business school classmates by contrast are required (per admissions applications) to demonstrate these experiences and applicants are selected based on the value of their experiences ( often failures) as teaching lessons.

A different major ( besides MBA) as Meyers is suggesting is likely more manageable for Morgan and I think all three of us are in agreement-whatever is best for Morgan. What is slightly annoying though is the amount of people that are skipping right over 1) Admissions to Business School is a very competitive selective process. 2) UCONN WBB is one hell of a workload by itself. 3) Graduate school is one hell of a workload by itself.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
If she stays, then, in spite of all the hand-wringing and negativity that the board has been drenched with lately re next season, the Huskies do have as good a shot at the NC as anyone else, imho, if Morgan stays. If she stays, and they indeed to win the NC both this year and next, she would have something that no other wcbb player has or conceivably will have; five (count em, 5) NC rings. With that and her looks and her personality, she ought to be worth a fortune in endorsements. She would be the hottest thing since Taurasi.

If she leaves after this season (and if things go according to how they otta) she will be one of three having four rings. If she stays and things go as they otta, she will be one of one having five, or at least havc a damned fine shot at it. Plus getting 25 shots a game!!!

Reaction Score
Whatever she chooses to do.Good luck to an incredible young woman.Thank you!

JordyG

Reaction Score

Once again hopefully you've put this canard to r(n)est.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom