Geno is the GOAT but I don't get it | The Boneyard

Geno is the GOAT but I don't get it

Reaction Score
I know he tends to shorten the bench. Most of the time I understand why. Ducharme scored 28 points in a game this year and had a game winning bucket. He has called Nika the heart of the team and, five times, she lead the team in assists.

Against NC State, Muhl only played 8 minutes despite getting 2 rebounds a steal and hitting her only shot in those 8 minutes. And she had zero fouls. And we had a hard time stopping NC State from scoring. And Ducharme only played 5 minutes.

I have seen nothing from Muhl that suggests she is off her game. And if Ducharme is sitting because she is struggling, why is she struggling? The kid went from no confidence to massive confidence to no confidence again? If that is true, Geno and the staff need to ask themselves what they did wrong because that shouldn't happen. And, in my coaching days, whenever I saw it happen, it was usually the coach's fault. The guy is a genius but even a genius is wrong sometimes. We need that depth and only Geno can make it happen.

sun

Reaction Score
I have seen nothing from Muhl that suggests she is off her game. And if Ducharme is sitting because she is struggling, why is she struggling? The kid went from no confidence to massive confidence to no confidence again? If that is true, Geno and the staff need to ask themselves what they did wrong because that shouldn't happen. And, in my coaching days, whenever I saw it happen, it was usually the coach's fault. The guy is a genius but even a genius is wrong sometimes. We need that depth and only Geno can make it happen.
Is it bad that Muhl played 8 good minutes and UConn won?
More players are simply available now, so PT has been adjusted.
Usually fans wait until after a team loses before complaining about how much PT their favored players get.
And don't forget that UConn could need to play again on Sunday with short rest.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree. Good things happen when Nika is on the floor. But, I want Paige, Azzi and CW to be the core and play together for the most minutes. We lose certain things when Nika is out but it’s a sacrifice I’d choose.

Reaction Score
I know he tends to shorten the bench. Most of the time I understand why. Ducharme scored 28 points in a game this year and had a game winning bucket. He has called Nika the heart of the team and, five times, she lead the team in assists.

Against NC State, Muhl only played 8 minutes despite getting 2 rebounds a steal and hitting her only shot in those 8 minutes. And she had zero fouls. And we had a hard time stopping NC State from scoring. And Ducharme only played 5 minutes.

1. If Caroline plays, who sits?
2. These last two match-ups haven't favored her game.
3. She has a tendency to turn the ball over.
4. I think she could be a huge asset tomorrow against Stanford.

Reaction Score
No one here is a bigger fan of Caroline Ducharme than me. However, the fact that she's not the same has absolutely nothing to do with her head injury. It can be attributed more to the fact that when she was leading us to victory after victory, she was primarily the go to player. Her confidence was at a high, she was starting and playing 30-40 minutes per game. When Azzi and Paige returned to the lineup that changed everything for her. First and foremost, she lost her starting position. Starters have the ability to work themselves into a game. Caroline at this stage of her career needs that. If you will recall, many of her heroics came in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Coming off the bench now (if & when she gets to play at all), she's no longer sure of herself out there. She's has lost confidence. She'll be fine, but sadly it'll most likely will not be until next season. I don't expect Geno to play her much (if at all) any further this season. But I'd love to be wrong.

Reaction Score
1. If Caroline plays, who sits?
2. These last two match-ups haven't favored her game.
3. She has a tendency to turn the ball over.
4. I think she could be a huge asset tomorrow against Stanford.
Hmm, you seem to be somewhat contradictory in these four questions and/or statements.

1. All players could use a rest from time to time.
2. Do you mean in the games where she plays four and five minutes?
3. It's interesting how some people simply look at stats when reviewing turnovers, and not by actually viewing the individual plays.
4. You question who sits if she plays and point out a tendency to turn the ball over, but then indicate she could be a huge asset.

Puzzling thinking at best!

Reaction Score
i agree that it is as much an issue of having slightly better, and more, options, and also, perhaps the matchups have not been great for her playing. now that dorka is down, she is next woman up, mainly to give ono and ae some rest.

Reaction Score
I think it is a lingering issue from her head injury (personally I think she was concussed but whatever) and not a matter of confidence. Caroline very successfully carried this team on her back & that had to boost her confidence tremendously.

Reaction Score
No one here is a bigger fan of Caroline Ducharme than me. However, the fact that she's not the same has absolutely nothing to do with her head injury. It can be attributed more to the fact that when she was leading us to victory after victory, she was primarily the go to player. Her confidence was at a high, she was starting and playing 30-40 minutes per game. When Azzi and Paige returned to the lineup that changed everything for her. First and foremost, she lost her starting position. Starters have the ability to work themselves into a game. Caroline at this stage of her career needs that. If you will recall, many of her heroics came in the 3rd and 4th quarters. Coming off the bench now (if & when she gets to play at all), she's no longer sure of herself out there. She's has lost confidence. She'll be fine, but sadly it'll most likely will not be until next season. I don't expect Geno to play her much (if at all) any further this season. But I'd love to be wrong.
Yes, this. In the press conference following the either the Indiana or NC State game Geno was asked a question about the lineup. He said that some players need to be on the court a while before they settle into the game, but this time of the year he doesn't have the luxury of waiting for that to happen.

Reaction Score
Is it bad that Muhl played 8 good minutes and UConn won?
More players are simply available now, so PT has been adjusted.
Usually fans wait until after a team loses before complaining about how much PT their favored players get.
And don't forget that UConn could need to play again on Sunday with short rest.
To win the tourney teams need to win 4 games in 10 days. No matter how conditioned you think your team is you will wear down somewhat. Stanford used 12 players last year including giving some time to the 12th player in the first half. SC is very deep as well. The best time to sub is with about 2 min or less on the 1st and 3rd quarter. In real time a player can get up to 10 min of rest. The other advantage is your subs can go all out and wear the other team down. Full court pressure, whatever because these guys aren't fouling out. Tired often equals fouls and at the end of game players give up baskets not to foul out.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Yes, this. In the press conference following the either the Indiana or NC State game Geno was asked a question about the lineup. He said that some players need to be on the court a while before they settle into the game, but this time of the year he doesn't have the luxury of waiting for that to happen.
Exactly -- and that is why her minutes have been cut recently. Caroline was away from everyday activity for a week or two after her apparent head injury, and she came back slightly rusty, looking somewhat like she did at the beginning of the season -- making mistakes, missing layups, turning the ball over. I think Geno knows that with more minutes, she would work through these problems and play as she did in mid-season, but he can't really afford a bad game or two to get her to that point.

However, now that Dorka is unavailable, she and Evina are the only real choices to replace what Dorka was contributing -- and Evina may be needed in the back court. So I would not be the least bit surprised if Caroline gets increased minutes this weekend, and if Geno allows her to play through (a few) mistakes. If that happens, I would not be surprised if Caroline eventually makes the most of those minutes, and perhaps even becomes the decisive factor in one or both games.

You read it here first!

Reaction Score
Geno has said it more than once and that is at this time of year when he puts any sub in the game if he doesn’t see that they’ve acclimated themselves to the game, and made a positive impact or the game proves to be bigger then their contribution, there’s no room/time for them to figure it out, as in the regular season. One presumed miscue, you’re out.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
CD hasn't been quite the same since she had the head injury. Her time will come. Nika played well, but whose minutes do you give her? Paige? Christyn? They both were playing too good to pull for more than some needed rest.
No. That's what some are saying about Caroline and it is an excuse. I believe she is just fine health wise. What is missing from her game is minutes played and Geno has not been willing to give her those minutes at this time. She showed, when given the opportunity, that she could produce as much offensively as anyone else on the team. However, Geno is going with the players he thinks will be best for the team, as he should. But there have been times when the players on the floor were struggling and he kept them out there. Level of play will not go down when Caroline is out there, she has proven that. See ME Husky Fan's post above. That is the best probable answer, imo.

Reaction Score
shorten the bench ... Nika ... Caroline

I have become a huge Nika fan and when they name me coach tomorrow I'll start her and keep her in for 40 minutes. That said, Geno's use of Nika in the last few games has been masterfully timed.

The problem with Caroline is she can't start, given the pieces now in place, and she hasn't demonstrated that instant zero to 60 to convince Geno she's a compelling move off the bench. She's an investment in a game and that's not in Geno's default trust or comfort zone with any Freshman until proven otherwise. THAT said, if he does use her out of what he feels is the necessity of a moment and she does respond, Geno will change course on a dime.

Last edited:

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
He is an excellent recruiter (more often than not) and an excellent practice coach (for the chosen 6-7 players) which allows him to get away with being a good game time coach.
Wow some nice backhanded compliments.
It takes some... to freely post that Geno is "a good game time coach" and appear to be serious.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom