Geno has 21 different combinations to choose from | The Boneyard

Geno has 21 different combinations to choose from

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Geno has 7 players from to choose 5 players. Using my Statistics minor, that means 21 different combinations. For these three games, is there really any difference in any of those combinations?

{Banks,Chong,Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson}
{Banks,Chong,Dolson,Hartley,Stewart}
{Banks,Chong,Dolson,Hartley,Stokes}
{Banks,Chong,Dolson,Jefferson,Stewart}
{Banks,Chong,Dolson,Jefferson,Stokes}
{Banks,Chong,Dolson,Stewart,Stokes}
{Banks,Chong,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart}
{Banks,Chong,Hartley,Jefferson,Stokes}
{Banks,Chong,Hartley,Stewart,Stokes}
{Banks,Chong,Jefferson,Stewart,Stokes}
{Banks,Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart}
{Banks,Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson,Stokes}
{Banks,Dolson,Hartley,Stewart,Stokes}
{Banks,Dolson,Jefferson,Stewart,Stokes}
{Banks,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart,Stokes}
{Chong,Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart}
{Chong,Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson,Stokes}
{Chong,Dolson,Hartley,Stewart,Stokes}
{Chong,Dolson,Jefferson,Stewart,Stokes}
{Chong,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart,Stokes}
{Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart,Stokes}

Reaction Score
There are actually more combinations than 21. But he really has no choice when players fouled out and there are combos of 4, then 3, then 2 and one, depending on who fouled out.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
There are actually more combinations than 21. But he really has no choice when players fouled out and there are combos of 4, then 3, then 2 and one, depending on who fouled out.

?

(7 choose 5) is 21. Unless you mean that there are more than seven to choose from, which is true, and Cheech, I mean Tierney made an appearance in the first half.

There are more than 21 permutations, but unless you want to assign to positions, such as 1,2,3,4,5 which doesn't mean much in a motion offense, combinations is the right concept.

Reaction Score
?

(7 choose 5) is 21. Unless you mean that there are more than seven to choose from, which is true, and Cheech, I mean Tierney made an appearance in the first half.

There are more than 21 permutations, but unless you want to assign to positions, such as 1,2,3,4,5 which doesn't mean much in a motion offense, combinations is the right concept.

No, what I meant is if 3 fouled out (out of the 7, excluding the walkons), then they have to play only 4 (then there are combos of who might be the remaining 4, then 3, then 2, then 1, unless Geno forfeits the game if there were less than 5 players remaining)
It is obvious that Geno can't choose who the remaining players might be (those that didn't fouled out) but I was just pointing out that there are more than 21 combinations...

Last edited:

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
If you add Lawlor and Pulido, there are 126 different combinations... I definitely have too much time on my hands...

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Geno has 21 different combinations to choose from? What did you do; look in his closets and count his jackets?

Reaction Score
ALUM - good and interesting stuff. ANd wait 'til next year, eh?

Reaction Score
th

Reaction Score
No, what I meant is if 3 fouled out (out of the 7, excluding the walkons), then they have to play only 4 (then there are combos of who might be the remaining 4, then 3, then 2, then 1, unless Geno forfeits the game if there were less than 5 players remaining)
It is obvious that Geno can't choose who the remaining players might be (those that didn't fouled out) but I was just pointing out that there are more than 21 combinations...
If you're down to five eligible players and one fouls out, they stay in the game, but it counts as a technical foul (and for every foul they commit thereafter.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Did a quick analysis of the first half of the BU game. Geno used eight different lineups. The most effective was Banks,Chong,Dolson,Stewart,Stokes which outscored BU 8-0 in one minute 48 secs of game time. The least effective lineup was the starting lineup of Banks,Dolson,Hartley,Jefferson,Stewart, which tied BU 5-5 in 5 minutes and 56 seconds of playing time. (BTW, the first half score was 45-13.)

Do you think UConn staff keep these stats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom