Geno compares Stewie's offensive rebounding to deceased person's.. :( | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Geno compares Stewie's offensive rebounding to deceased person's.. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
He only compared Stewie's Offensive rebounding to a dead person because he thought Moses Malone had already kicked the bucket.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
David - great post and I'm so glad you started a whole new thread on this topic. THAT'S the point i was making in the game thread, but it fell on deaf ears. I hope YOUR fingers didn't fall off typing all those facts! (I was told I could type all the facts I wanted - till my fingers fell off - but that didn't take away from the fact that UCONN stunk up the joint, in so many words)...

I'd post the little video again - Biff posted it in the game thread, but I can't figure out how to post a video from youtube...

Thank you david and eric.

Reaction Score
“We make it look easy a lot of times, but the ball still has to go into the basket. We make it look easy but it’s not always as easy as we make it look. Offensive rebounding is hard. Ask Stewie. She got a grand total of zero today. We missed 32 shots and Stewie got zero offensive rebounds. She got as many as a dead person.”

Geno had lots to say after the game. He always does. That is just Geno being Geno. IMO comparing Stewie’s offensive rebounding in this game to a deceased person is out of line. Some find it funny, some don’t.

I was curious to see that quote posted in the BY, all by itself. No other context or explanation. It was, in fact, the only post in that thread by that particular poster. UConn won the game by 34 points, but no compliments to anyone. Just a big fat negative. Lots of positives were ignored:

1. Stewie had 17 points, the most of anyone in the game. No mention.
2. Gabby scores 10 pts in 16 minutes on 4-4 shooting. No mention.
3. Kiah had another 8 blocks, in just 22 minutes. No mention.
4. Saniya had yet another good game, 3-3 shooting, 2 threes. No mention.
5. UConn held Temple to only 19 points in the 2nd half. No mention.
6. KML, MoJeff, Nurse & Chong all made 2 three point baskets. No mention.

It’s ok to criticize, point out mistakes and analyze what needs improvement. But when you never seem to have anything positive to say, it gets old & boring. The players deserve better. Just my opinion…

Go Huskies…!!

P.S. - Unrelated to my post...here's a picture.

View attachment 8355
It looks like Geno recruits certain type of player, those of which who can take his criticism. It is not a social welfare environment and he does not intends to be politically correct...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
"The specified URL can not be embedded as media"
If you're on a PC and not a mobile device, just copy the URL from the box at the top of your yourtube screen and paste it right in the text of your BY message

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
A great coach is never satisfied with his players performance.Ty

I had a funny feeling about this game after it was over. We won by 34 - a huge margin by most standards - and yet the Huskies seemed more clunky than they have for awhile. I am wondering if the coaching staff was feeling this way as well. Played the starters longer than in recent games and no Pulido or Lawlor.

And to speak to the OP, I find the Stewie rebounding like a deceased person comparison humorous and totally within Geno's character, and I can't imagine that she was in any way offended by it.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
The players know what's up. Does anyone honestly believe the players take what he says literally? Proof is when Stewie and Kaleena were talking about when Geno is with the coaches at practice criticizing something, and he says it just loud enough for the players to hear. Stewie and Kaleena said "you know we can still hear you." Then after the first UCF game when Stewie was interviewed about Geno saying it was the worst half of basketball he had seen in 30 years, Stewie kind of smiled (Kerith picked up on it), tacitly acknowledging that coach just might exaggerate a bit at times. It's true you need a thick skin to play for Geno, however, he is getting these kids (young adults) ready for life which isn't going to be warm and cuddly either.
Totally true. Ask Kara Wolters and Rebecca Lobo - they were the worst post players in America. Until the NCAA's.

I recall reading somewhere that Geno's M.O. is to sometimes give praise, but more often point out (in many different ways) where the player needs to improve. They work on that stuff all year long. Then once tourney time rolls around, he pretty much ends the "improvement" phase and is all about creating even more confidence for the last push. Seems to have worked pretty well so far...!

Reaction Score
Geno had lots to say after the game. He always does. That is just Geno being Geno. IMO comparing Stewie’s offensive rebounding in this game to a deceased person is out of line. Some find it funny, some don’t.
Bad joke?

Reaction Score
I find Geno funny. Regardless of who I root for, someone who is sarcastic and quick-witted will always be someone I can enjoy hearing speak.

This is rather tame compared to what they probably hear in practice. Many coaches would be crucified if their every comment from behind the scene moments were broadcasted. Geno is just a little more open about his thoughts in public than other coaches.

Reaction Score
Vintage Geno, been doin it that way since 1985...We have had the term "Stewie being Stewie" for some time now. This was "Geno being Geno" as usual.
Absolutely no disdain towards the OP but this was nothing more than Geno doing his job. He is known to be many things, controversial, confrontational, driven etc. On the other side warm and fuzzy does not come out too often, funny yes.
This was a win over a sub 500 team that did not look easy at times. In a game like this at this level the positives are expected and more, not much praise is going to come from the head guy. Now we can look to see if she picks up her O rebound numbers on the 3rd and the 7th because Geno knows we are going to need them on the 9th...

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
He's not much different with his comments as he was 20 yrs ago. It does become a badge of honor when he is ripping a Stewie, a Maya, and Diana. Later the same day they may all be at his home for a big Italian meal. Kids know who really care about them. Getting thru the early season freshmen year must be the toughest part. But we aren't going to change him now. And I really wouldn't want to! He knows how and who and when to push buttons- and when to build them up!

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Absolutely no disdain towards the OP but this was nothing more than Geno doing his job.

He wasn't complaining about Geno. The point was to complain about me posting Geno's comment in the game thread. Apparently, the fact that I left it there, because to me it was interesting and kinda funny, was some sort of affront. You see, when I post in the game thread it's evil, but as was told in the original post when I don't post in the game thread and then quote Geno later, it's also evil. I've refrained from being part of recent game threads so as not to offend the easily offended, but I'll be damned if that isn't enough.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
He wasn't complaining about Geno. The point was to complain about me posting Geno's comment in the game thread. Apparently, the fact that I left it there, because to me it was interesting and kinda funny, was some sort of affront. You see, when I post in the game thread it's evil, but as was told in the original post when I don't post in the game thread and then quote Geno later, it's also evil. I've refrained from being part of recent game threads so as not to offend the easily offended, but I'll be damned if that isn't enough.
Your quoting Geno in the game thread was fine.

Reaction Score
When I read the title of this thread I knew what his quip was,as he has used it before.

Reaction Score
Like Geno, never stop being what you are. Tell it like it is and laugh like hell! Now I am not out to offend the easily offended but JMHO they have no reasonable idea of what it takes to maintain the level of play they expect. Tough love works in coaching once you are above little league and middle school and most players realize that part of the game. The ones that do not, play for nice guys "n" gals and never hold up a trophy or get what it takes to succeed in life.
Some folks think you can win NC's with a little legue mentality. Hell, Jim Calhoun even had nuns sitting right behind the bench. Never heard a one complain. Then again maybe they were not aware of The Boneyard...

Reaction Score
Geno needs some new material. He used that line with Kara Wolters. Back then it went, Kara got 1 more rebound than a dead person buried six feet under the ground.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
“We make it look easy a lot of times, but the ball still has to go into the basket. We make it look easy but it’s not always as easy as we make it look. Offensive rebounding is hard. Ask Stewie. She got a grand total of zero today. We missed 32 shots and Stewie got zero offensive rebounds. She got as many as a dead person.”

I was curious to see that quote posted in the BY, all by itself. No other context or explanation. It was, in fact, the only post in that thread by that particular poster. UConn won the game by 34 points, but no compliments to anyone. Just a big fat negative. Lots of positives were ignored:

1. Stewie had 17 points, the most of anyone in the game. No mention.
2. Gabby scores 10 pts in 16 minutes on 4-4 shooting. No mention.
3. Kiah had another 8 blocks, in just 22 minutes. No mention.
4. Saniya had yet another good game, 3-3 shooting, 2 threes. No mention.
5. UConn held Temple to only 19 points in the 2nd half. No mention.
6. KML, MoJeff, Nurse & Chong all made 2 three point baskets. No mention.

It’s ok to criticize, point out mistakes and analyze what needs improvement. But when you never seem to have anything positive to say, it gets old & boring. The players deserve better. Just my opinion…

Go Huskies…!!

P.S. - Unrelated to my post...here's a picture.

View attachment 8355

I have to defend Geno here. Sometimes you just can't get your point across if you beat around the bush. I would prefer there to be no ambiguity and when your game gets compared to a dead person there is definitely no doubt as to what he meant.

Reaction Score
Geno needs some new material. He used that line with Kara Wolters. Back then it went, Kara got 1 more rebound than a dead person buried six feet under the ground.
Once every 20 years isn't really 'overuse', but maybe UCONN could fund a staff writer for him?

Reaction Score
Geno knows that we have a huge, talented front line coming in on the 9th, and that we will need to have everyone playing at the top of their game to beat USC. Offensive rebounds are going to be a key, and Stewie, at 6'4" is going the HAVE to be in the mix...

Reaction Score
Geno knows that we have a huge, talented front line coming in on the 9th, and that we will need to have everyone playing at the top of their game to beat USC. Offensive rebounds are going to be a key, and Stewie, at 6'4" is going the HAVE to be in the mix...
Remwmber that most times she's being double-teamed or hanging outside being the decoy and looking to pass to the open teammate. Not in the best position to get offensive rebounds.

She's not Superwoman...

Reaction Score
Remwmber that most times she's being double-teamed or hanging outside being the decoy and looking to pass to the open teammate. Not in the best position to get offensive rebounds.

She's not Superwoman...

Still nothing wrong the coach asking, demanding, hinting, provoking, etc, etc... the best player on his team to DO MORE. That is why they win so much, he get his players to do more then they thought they could...

Reaction Score
Still nothing wrong the coach asking, demanding, hinting, provoking, etc, etc... the best player on his team to DO MORE. That is why they win so much, he get his players to do more then they thought they could...
Try the best player in WCBB.

Sometimes he's a bit over the top.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom