Geno bring Philly tough attitude to UConn | The Boneyard

Geno bring Philly tough attitude to UConn

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
She’s not from Norristown. The article is from Norristown.
The publication is Montgomery County Today. Norristown is one of many cities and towns within Montgomery County, Pa. Dawn is listed as having been born in Philadelphia which is adjacent to Montgomery County. So maybe she is Philly tough, and Geno is Norristown nasty! ;)

Reaction Score
I grew up on the edge of Montgomery County, PA— right by Bucks- & Philadelphia County borders. Must concur with Mdoggie & Bama fan here. Broad region/area reference.

Reaction Score
... From my experience, this Philly toughness also extends to Jersey; soccer great Carli Lloyd is an apt example. Following kid applies, Post #37 from JBC thread (Ice & Ayanna on TV):

Finally just watched JBC. Was intrigued by Justine Pissott after becoming aware of her from McDonald’s game. Just found this dated Player’s Tribune piece. Insightful read with this photo… (Article link below)

View attachment 75896

Tiny Green references National Championship Coach that may not be there by time Justine would be a senior. Guessing that’s Geno. Shame UConn didn’t get her. Think she’ll be good for The Vols. Wing prototype: long, handle, expansive range. Seems to be humble & hard worker.

Reaction Score
The publication is Montgomery County Today. Norristown is one of many cities and towns within Montgomery County, Pa. Dawn is listed as having been born in Philadelphia which is adjacent to Montgomery County. So maybe she is Philly tough, and Geno is Norristown nasty! ;)
North Philly (think Bronx), Norristown (think Manchester) - reach your own conclusion on which is Nastier.

Reaction Score
How about a discussion of Philly hoops.
I would argue that Philly also has a "run and gun" tradition.
Scene in the 30 for 30- "Guru of Go" (my bible) when Bo Kimble talks about when he and Hank Gathers first met in Paul Westhead's office and Westhead showed them a video of his LMU squad running and the young men compared what they saw to their HS days in North Philly. Kimble said they signed immediately.
Westhead, Lynam, Ramsey..... were these guys from the uptempo school? To me, being associated with this kind of style better explains Geno than some idea of "tough".
You always want your players to be "tough". Plus the word has 100 meanings.

Reaction Score
“Philly tough” is a mind set defined by scrappiness, determination, fearlessness, chip-on-shoulder, don’t-back-down attitude, underdog mentality. Some basketball examples are Kobe Bryant & Kyle Lowry on men’s side & of course Dawn Staley, quintessentially, on women’s side.

Westhead’s infamous run-and-gun approach was more a style specific to his coaching philosophy than a Philly ethos. His Big-5 Philly coaching peers including Ramsey, Lynam, Rollie Massimino, Phil Martelli, Fran Dunphy— & Geno (high school) picked up elements of this style but ran their own systems, largely predicated on more halfcourt play absent opportunity to fast break when circumstances permitted. I watched Lyman’s Sixers in Barkley’s heyday growing up & they played this way, like most NBA teams aside from the Showtime Lakers. More contemporary Philly native Jay Wright has run a slow-down, halfcourt offense to HOF acclaim at Villanova.

Reaction Score
I grew up near Norristown and played against Geno in HS. Wife went to school with him. Norristown has many similarities with Philly but is definitely different, particularly where Dawn grew up.

Reaction Score
HopJim— You grew up in Philly area but feature a Celtics avatar?!!

I, myself, went to college in Boston & returned here 7 years ago yet still bleed Philly across the board, absent my UConn WBB affinity. My first sports memories included Dr. J-Larry Bird rivalry (& green pixelated 1:1 video game).

Reaction Score
Scene in the 30 for 30- "Guru of Go" (my bible) when Bo Kimble talks about when he and Hank Gathers first met in Paul Westhead's office and Westhead showed them a video of his LMU squad running and the young men compared what they saw to their HS days in North Philly. Kimble said they signed immediately.
Westhead, Lynam, Ramsey..... were these guys from the uptempo school? To me, being associated with this kind of style better explains Geno than some idea of "tough".
All three of them played their hoops at St Josephs (where Geno also got his first WCBB coaching experience). Ramsey and Lynam also coached MCBB at St Josephs. Westhead first coached at Lasalle, he was the run and gun guy of the three.

Reaction Score
I moved to Philly (Center City) 20 years ago. Moved here from North Jersey. My first day, I took a walk around town wearing my NJ Devils hat. I won’t bore you with the ugliness that ensued but just say that I returned home hatless.

Reaction Score
Sorry you had that experience, LoboDays… but not surprised. 1990’s era Devils were Flyers bugaboo, back when hockey team still had city’s heartbeat (unlike present day afterthought). No excuse, of course. Philadelphians take their sports heart-attack seriously & revel in their hostility to opposition, particularly rivals.

Reaction Score
… When I lived in Manhattan during same era, used to go to Flyers-Rangers games @ Garden. Fights would break out in stairwells occasionally. Once stood up in suit with business colleague seated near glass when Lindros scored playoff game winner & had full soda thrown at me. Always said sports different in Northeast: Philly, NY, Boston. High intensity, high fan IQ. Not for faint of heart.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I grew up on the edge of Montgomery County, PA— right by Bucks- & Philadelphia County borders. Must concur with Mdoggie & Bama fan here. Broad region/area reference.
I actually grew up in Norristown and still live near by. Norristown i used to be a microcosm of Philadelphia in that there are ethnic neighborhoods within Norristown held together by a series of Catholic Parishes. There are Polish (St Mary's) , Italian ( Holy Savior) , Irish/ African American ( St. Pats).... Coming up we all competed against each other and met up at the high school which is now closed.
Coming up you were either a catholic school kid or a public school kids and if you were a catholic school kids your ethnic heritage was probably aligned with your Parish. Geno was an exception though he was actually Italian and aligned with St. Francis. When Geno comes home now it is to Holy Saviors Parish. That toughness the article is talking about is selectively applied to people who are not Norristown residents. There is no geographic boundary & talent alone is not enough for us to adopt. You have to be talented & can't be soft. Certainly Dawn has been adopted and you mention Carli Lloyd. Mike Trout has been adopted as has the entire 1985 Villanova team and Rollie Massimino. BTW, the most famous coach/manager to come from Norristown is not Geno, it is actually Tommy Lasorda. Geno is only continuing what Rollie and Tommy started.

Reaction Score

I actually grew up in Norristown and still live near by. Norristown i used to be a microcosm of Philadelphia in that there are ethnic neighborhoods within Norristown held together by a series of Catholic Parishes. There are Polish (St Mary's) , Italian ( Holy Savior) , Irish/ African American ( St. Pats).... Coming up we all competed against each other and met up at the high school which is now closed.
Coming up you were either a catholic school kid or a public school kids and if you were a catholic school kids your ethnic heritage was probably aligned with your Parish. Geno was an exception though he was actually Italian and aligned with St. Francis. When Geno comes home now it is to Holy Saviors Parish. That toughness the article is talking about is selectively applied to people who are not Norristown residents. There is no geographic boundary & talent alone is not enough for us to adopt. You have to be talented & can't be soft. Certainly Dawn has been adopted and you mention Carli Lloyd. Mike Trout has been adopted as has the entire 1985 Villanova team and Rollie Massimino. BTW, the most famous coach/manager to come from Norristown is not Geno, it is actually Tommy Lasorda. Geno is only continuing what Rollie and Tommy started.
Havertown / Upper Darby guy. Went to the (then) recently opened Msgr. Bonner HS whence we tried unsuccessfully to poach Jimmy Lynam form West Catholic. Played some pick-up ball with Lynam (way, way, too good). Went to Villanova - played some pick up ball with Wally Jones (who was just messing around with us) - he subsequently was PG on what some people still feel was the greatest NBA team ever ('67 Phila 76ers). Nothing beat the Big five Palestra double headers, where Lynam at St Josephs would usually find a way to skunk Villanova

Reaction Score
… That toughness the article is talking about is selectively applied… There is no geographic boundary & talent alone is not enough for us to adopt. You… can't be soft.
Exactly! Amen (& I’m not a pious man).

Philadelphians often root more for high-effort players who play hard & maximize their ability than those more gifted but with unfulfilled talent/potential.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom