Gandy Malou-Mamel | The Boneyard

Gandy Malou-Mamel

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
People seem to keep forgetting about Gandy - for those who don’t know, she’s given UConn her verbal commitment. She’s a big from the high school class of 2025 and her high school roster now lists her as 6-6. Gandy averaging 18.7 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.9 blocks. Here are her stats, game by game. Her team is 17-2 and ranked #7 in NJ in their division.

F38F8C4F-E52D-45D3-9AFB-0CE10C31B266.jpeg

Last edited:
Reaction Score
People seem to keep forgetting about Gandy - for those who don’t know, she’s given UConn her verbal commitment. She’s a big from the high school class of 2025 and her high school roster now lists her as 6-6. Gandy averaging 18.7 points, 11.0 rebounds and 2.9 blocks. Here are her stats, game by game. Her team is 17-2 and ranked #7 in NJ in their division.

View attachment 95813
Gill St. Bernards is about 25 minutes away from where we live in Jersey so we are looking forward to going to see her play in the state tournament.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Oldude: absolutely..she runs very smoothly for her size. Looks like she is stronger than in pix
from Ireland. Make lay-ups/rebound/alter shots....be decent from the freethrow line...AND she has
over 18 months to improve in all those areas...I'm sold!

Reaction Score

View attachment 95813
Gandy is making PROGRESS!. Love those stats for points, rebounds, and blocks! Go Gandy, Go UCONN!

Reaction Score
I think we found our Cardosa.
I was thinking the same thing. I went back and looked at some videos of Cardosa and felt saying Gandy plays like her doesn't do Cardosa justice. Cardoso's footwork on both offense and defense is solid and has been her entire college career. Strong at moving without ball, particularly on pick and rolls. Seems to know where ball will go on rebounds. Gandy, for having little experience, is doing well but still relying almost exclusively on her height, particularly on offense where she does not appear to have any shooting skills other than very short layups. Stands still alot and waits for ball versus going after it. Does anyone have any experience seeing Gandy play against skilled, equally tall bigs to test these thoughts? Don't know how to set my expectations from what could be to what likely will be.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. I went back and looked at some videos of Cardosa and felt saying Gandy plays like her doesn't do Cardosa justice. Cardoso's footwork on both offense and defense is solid and has been her entire college career. Strong at moving without ball, particularly on pick and rolls. Seems to know where ball will go on rebounds. Gandy, for having little experience, is doing well but still relying almost exclusively on her height, particularly on offense where she does not appear to have any shooting skills other than very short layups. Stands still alot and waits for ball versus going after it. Does anyone have any experience seeing Gandy play against skilled, equally tall bigs to test these thoughts? Don't know how to set my expectations from what could be to what likely will be.
She has improved dramatically from a year ago; where will she be in another year? Even from the beginning of this high school season, she’s hustling more and going after balls instead of waiting for them. All of the above says “coachable” to me

Keep in mind, folks, we don’t see many games from most of the players on our list of possible recruits. We don’t necessarily know what league they play in or the quality of their competition. Having seen a lot of high school games in my time, I would venture to say most Division I prospects see the most competition in AAU instead. Gandy can only play the teams on her school’s schedule and she’s excelling in them.

Reaction Score
She has improved dramatically from a year ago; where will she be in another year? Even from the beginning of this high school season, she’s hustling more and going after balls instead of waiting for them. All of the above says “coachable” to me

Keep in mind, folks, we don’t see many games from most of the players on our list of possible recruits. We don’t necessarily know what league they play in or the quality of their competition. Having seen a lot of high school games in my time, I would venture to say most Division I prospects see the most competition in AAU instead. Gandy can only play the teams on her school’s schedule and she’s excelling in them.
As someone, by the name of ,Thomas, once said, " Seeing is Believing" !

Reaction Score

Does Gandy play for any AAU teams or has she ?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Really happy she is improving. Sounds like a great kid - seems to be a hard worker and coachable. Runs the floor well as others have mentioned. Also she started so raw that I think her improvement has been that much more noticeable. I'm cautiously optimistic. I'd like to see how she does on the AAU circuit or against better competition. Especially against Div 1 prospect centers.

The reason I say that in part is because - I watched Ice face off against Breya Cunningham in high school. Ice was a year older but both were elite centers. And both players looked really good against each other. Ice was ranked 5, Breya 14. Breya is a starter for Arizona averaging just 7.5 PPG and 5 RPG playing over 20 minutes per game. We've all been front and center for Ice's struggles, and slow but steady improvement.

I'm hopeful while still trying to be realistic. Given how long it takes high school centers to generally "get it" when moving up to college, it's hard to expect much from her year 1. Still, I'm thrilled we landed her, but it remains to be seen if she's more Tina Charles or Piath Gabriel.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32