Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Gampel v XL Center Records - Daily Campus

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
There’s a reason Baylor is building a brand new facility that’s only 8k seats. It’s because playing in an area well over 10k seats is a horrible idea for a college basketball program. W/L record is only part of the story. It kills the image of and enthusiasm for your program to play in front of a significant number of empty seats at home. It feels bad in the arena and looks atrocious to the tv audience.

Reaction Score
Anyone else notice the lack of pep band the past few games? COVID reasons? Especially at XL feel like the lack of a band really makes the place seem quieter
Winter break.

Reaction Score
I just read Silly Steve's article, he ends The bottom line here is we have to step back and assess what the goal is here. Is the goal to get as many paying adults as possible into the stadium? Or is it to let students appreciate the greatness of their collegiate basketball teams?

I'm hoping someone can teach this guy the facts of life before he hits the real world.
Which is what? That the convenience of older alumni is more important than that of active students?

I'm an alum living in western CT. XL is easier to get to by about 20 minutes. Put all the games at Gampel.

If driving an extra 20-30 minutes is going to deter fans from attending games so be it. It'll probably add twice as many students to the crowd when they can just walk to the venue.

I was at Creighton on Tuesday. The place was a ghost town. We can't fill XL except for one or two games a year. Why more games are played there than on campus for a COLLEGE SPORT is beyond me.

Reaction Score
Which is what? That the convenience of older alumni is more important than that of active students?

I'm an alum living in western CT. XL is easier to get to by about 20 minutes. Put all the games at Gampel.

If driving an extra 20-30 minutes is going to deter fans from attending games so be it. It'll probably add twice as many students to the crowd when they can just walk to the venue.

I was at Creighton on Tuesday. The place was a ghost town. We can't fill XL except for one or two games a year. Why more games are played there than on campus for a COLLEGE SPORT is beyond me.
Don’t engage him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Do you have anything to back up that UConn would be losing out on millions per year if they played all the home games in Storrs instead of splitting with Hartford like they do now?
Here is my conservative quick and dirty: The center 4 lower bowl section have about 25 rows with 15 seats. 25*14*4*$1,000=$1,500,000.
I'm not going to bother with the rest of the seat donations but I'm sure it totals more than $500K. I think you should donate $100 to the Calhoun Cardiology Center. Enough with people wrongly calling others out without consequences.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Don’t engage him.
I'm bringing more to the table than you here, Guapo. And in the real world, people realize that the three purposes of a university is sex for the students, parking for the the faculty and sports for the alumni.

Reaction Score
I'm bringing more to the table than you here, Guapo. And in the real world, people realize that the three purposes of a university is sex for the students, parking for the the faculty and sports for the alumni.

See previous post

Reaction Score

Does that mean we can trade? I would gladly give up convenience in getting to games if instead I can have sex with students.

Reaction Score
Here is my conservative quick and dirty: The center 4 lower bowl section have about 25 rows with 15 seats. 25*14*4*$1,000=$1,500,000.
I'm not going to bother with the rest of the seat donations but I'm sure it totals more than $500K. I think you should donate $100 to the Calhoun Cardiology Center. Enough with people wrongly calling others out without consequences.
He didn't "call you out." He just asked for evidence of your claim, which you did not provide. Your made-up numbers might be close to accurate, or they might be wildly wrong, but they certainly aren't backed up by any evidence. They also only look at one side of the issue. The supply and demand dynamics at the Gampel games would be totally different in a Gampel-only scenario. Hypothetical to illustrate my point: The school misses out on $2 million from the games that would have been at XL, but they make $1.8 million more at the "new" Gampel games. Net revenue loss is $200k, not $2 million.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He didn't "call you out." He just asked for evidence of your claim, which you did not provide. Your made-up numbers might be close to accurate, or they might be wildly wrong, but they certainly aren't backed up by any evidence.
All of those seats are $1,000 seats. I double checked my multiplication. I think there are even more. That's evidence. You owe the Calhoun Fund a hundy as well.

Reaction Score
All of those seats are $1,000 seats. I double checked my multiplication. I think there are even more. That's evidence. You owe the Calhoun Fund a hundy as well.
I have no idea what you are talking about, but I know that you are not providing any evidence of anything. The question that you asked, and you seem to think you have answered, is, "How much money will UConn lose if they stop playing games in Hartford." The question you are actually addressing, albeit completely without any publicly available data, is, "How much money does UConn take in per year at XL center games in the form of seat donations?" The answer to the latter question is but a small piece of the answer to the former.

And, again, your quick and dirty calculations are not evidence of anything.

Reaction Score
Hurley's wife just tweeted out support for the article, which is fine enough.

But I do hope Hurley isn't acting like a boy about the XL Center around the players. What he does, the players will follow, and if he shows negative attitude towards the venue, they will too. They will in turn likely play poorer in said venue.

Can't say I'm holding any hope that Danny isn't acting like a big baby in front of them though- after his recent antics the last few weeks.

Perhaps Hurley is being the voice for the university/AD? It’s clear as day XL will be hosting games for the foreseeable future unless someone of prominence and power speaks up.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

LOL. Ill take my chances with the "alumni" who would forgo tix because its gampel instead of XL.

We will miss all 43 of you.

Reaction Score
I think this is funny. First Uconn will be playing at XL unless it goes away. It’s a way for the state to
Move money around and shield the losses of the XL center. It’s also a political issue related to supporting downtown Hartford. I don’t think the University is ready to start this fight.

Second as someone who attends a lot of games over a long period of time the XL and Gampel games do not produce noticeable differences in performance/crowd noise or otherwise. There are plenty of snoozers at Gampel and plenty of raucous atmospheres at XL. If students were really into hoops they would find a way to XL. Stop making excuses and support your school.

I don’t care what happens as I will go wherever the game is but stomping your feet over something that is not going to change seems nonsensical to me.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
I think this is funny. First Uconn will be playing at XL unless it goes away. It’s a way for the state to
Move money around and shield the losses of the XL center. It’s also a political issue related to supporting downtown Hartford. I don’t think the University is ready to start this fight.

Second as someone who attends a lot of games over a long period of time the XL and Gampel games do not produce noticeable differences in performance/crowd noise or otherwise. There are plenty of snoozers at Gampel and plenty of raucous atmospheres at XL. If students were really into hoops they would find a way to XL. Stop making excuses and support your school.

I don’t care what happens as I will go wherever the game is but stomping your feet over something that is not going to change seems nonsensical to me.

Where do you prefer to see a game?

Reaction Score
Alabama used to play some home football games in Birmingham. They stopped in 2000.

I think things have worked out ok for them since then.

It’s a shame some posters here don’t want UConn basketball to have the same success as Alabama football.

Smh

Reaction Score
Crazy that UNC fans can do the drive from Raleigh to Chapel Hill, yet some UConn “fans” here can’t do the same from Hartford to Storrs. Those people should be embarrassed.

Attachments

• 12E5C34A-3C73-4D51-AF2A-3A183D5716D3.png
    12E5C34A-3C73-4D51-AF2A-3A183D5716D3.png
    338.7 KB · Views: 108
  • 7CD3EF51-A82F-425D-89D3-FBA787934E32.png
    7CD3EF51-A82F-425D-89D3-FBA787934E32.png
    341.3 KB · Views: 97

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
LOL. Ill take my chances with the "alumni" who would forgo tix because its gampel instead of XL.
We will miss all 43 of you.
I guess that's the crux. I'm not going to Gampel but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop being a fan. I'll just be more like the vast majority of the Yard that doesn't go to games. One thing I'm having a problem with is the posters like @zls44 making it personal. It's not, I just don't think it's a given at all that the program is better off leaving Hartford. It's just recency bias at work. They shake the tree pretty hard already and all the good seats at Gampel have those "lifetime guarantees" on them. I don't see where the new money is coming from to make up for Hartford. Perhaps the XL haters could start a fund to make up the gap.

Reaction Score
I guess that's the crux. I'm not going to Gampel but that doesn't mean I'm going to stop being a fan. I'll just be more like the vast majority of the Yard that doesn't go to games. One thing I'm having a problem with is the posters like @zls44 making it personal. It's not, I just don't think it's a given at all that the program is better off leaving Hartford. It's just recency bias at work. They shake the tree pretty hard already and all the good seats at Gampel have those "lifetime guarantees" on them. I don't see where the new money is coming from to make up for Hartford. Perhaps the XL haters could start a fund to make up the gap.
UConn doesn’t make money playing in Hartford. The only legitimate argument you have is that playing in Hartford gives the school leeway with state politicians to do other things it wants

phillionaire

esta noche somos mantequilla
Reaction Score
Crazy that UNC fans can do the drive from Raleigh to Chapel Hill, yet some UConn “fans” here can’t do the same from Hartford to Storrs. Those people should be embarrassed.
The Venn Diagram of people complaining about having to drive to Storrs and people complaining that kids these days won't go to games because of the tik toks and video games and that back in their day they cared way more than these soft kids is a single circle

Reaction Score
UConn doesn’t make money playing in Hartford. The only legitimate argument you have is that playing in Hartford gives the school leeway with state politicians to do other things it wants
(And that’s a sucky reason to continue playing in Hartford the same amount!)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah kind of seems like he’s arguments weren’t really in good faith.

:rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom