Game Week-> UConn v. Illinois (9/7/19 @ 3:30p on CBSSN) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Game Week-> UConn v. Illinois (9/7/19 @ 3:30p on CBSSN)

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Very different game. Holy Cross shredded our defense for most of the game.
Yeah, I misremembered. Holy Cross was Sheriffs off the bench for the comeback. There have been a few occasions where UConn kept an FCS game close with mistakes but that wasn't one of them.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
This guy did a nice job of reviewing UConn's Wagner game and had much less problem with the coaching/scheme than I did. I picked two comments he made and put them below. The 1st one I find hard to believe, could the talent be that bad at UConn? The second comment shows what he thinks of the match-up, and this is an Illinois team that lost a game late in the season last year 63-0 to Iowa. How much better can they get in one season?

"Akron fielded a better roster last week, in year 1 of a complete teardown, than UConn will this week."

"I've become incredibly over-optimistic about non-con Illinois, so I will take Illinois to cover this easily. I'll also guess Illinois has its second 60 point game in the 2000s."

So I guess you are betting your house on Illinois then?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Give ‘em a break - at least it doesn’t show an open flame!

UConn’s athletic department is giving us a view into the institutional rot.

SuzieLax played these losers.

Reaction Score
UConn’s athletic department is giving us a view into the institutional rot.

SuzieLax played these losers.

I mean lets be honest...the 19 year old work study student typed in "grill" to the Microsoft Word clip art bar and copied/pasted. Hardly think it's a sign of institutional failures. Lets not over think this one fellas.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I mean lets be honest...the 19 year old work study student typed in "grill" to the Microsoft Word clip art bar and copied/pasted. Hardly think it's a sign of institutional failures. Lets not over think this one fellas.

We can go down this path.

UConn is a ‘Top 20’ public university.

Do they have a couple of biz majors who can help explain how to sell tickets?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We can go down this path.

UConn is a ‘Top 20’ public university.

Do they have a couple of biz majors who can help explain how to sell tickets?
Suck less.

You’re welcome.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Everyone gets nervous before kickoff

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Give ‘em a break - at least it doesn’t show an open flame!

Too bad they didn't use this classic meme.

Reaction Score
NHR Illinois at UConn preview capsule:

When: Saturday, 3:30 p.m.
Where: Rentschler Field, East Hartford
Records: Illinois 1-0; UConn 1-0
TV: CBS Sports Network
Radio: 97.9 ESPN, WINE-940, WAVZ-1300; WATR-1320, WGCH-1490, WILI-1400 (simulcast on 95.3 FM).

3 things to watch

1. Experience up front:
Coming into the season, if there was one position that was a strength for the two rebuilding programs it was the offensive line. Both teams return four players who started every game a season ago with each team featuring three players with at least 20 career starts on the line. No lineman is more experienced that UConn right tackle Matt Peart who is set to make his 38th straight start. Since UConn made the jump to the FBS level, Zach Hurd, Junior Joseph and Mo Petrus are the only Huskies with at least 38 starts in a row. The teams chose different paths to replace a graduated starter. Redshirt freshman Christian Haynes not only started at guard but the majority of the running plays were run directly behind him. Alabama transfer Richie Petitbon is a starting guard for Illinois adding strength to a line that helped Illinois register nine 200-yard rushing performances in 2018 and another in 2019 opener after managing eight such games in the previous four seasons. UConn is one of four FBS teams with at least 60 rushing attempts in the opener, but the line drew the ire of UConn coach Randy Edsall during a practice earlier this week as he is looking for the line to be physical.

2. For starters: The Huskies got off to 2-0 starts five times in a six-season stretch during Randy Edsall’s first stint at UConn but it has only happened once since 2008 and that came during the 2015 campaign, which happens to be the last time the Huskies played in a bowl game. Illinois hasn’t had much success recently but have jumped out to 2-0 starts six times in the last eight years. Speaking of streaks, Illinois has lost seven straight non-conference road games dating back to 2007.

3. Who’s in, who’s out: Illinois suffered a big blow when running back Mike Epstein suffered a season ending injury against Akron. Although Epstein led Illinois with 45 rushing yards in the win, five other players had at least 26 rushing yards including quarterback Brandon Peters. Illinois will also be without defensive back Kerby Joseph for the first half as he was called for a targeting penalty in the opener. UConn is expected to have receiver Ardell Brown available as well as defensive tackle Caleb Thomas, who had his four-game suspension over a compliance issue lifted on Tuesday. There’s a chance that speedy true freshman receiver Cam Ross could make his UConn debut as well.

— Jim Fuller

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom