Game Week 2022 - UConn v. Central Connecticut State Blue Devils (Saturday 9/3/22 @ Noon on CW20 & Fox61+) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Game Week 2022 - UConn v. Central Connecticut State Blue Devils (Saturday 9/3/22 @ Noon on CW20 & Fox61+)

Reaction Score
I am going to suggest that based on last night's results, and the well established transitivity property of football game outcomes, that perhaps tomorrow's game may not be quite the walk-over that many think it will be.

Add to that observation the well known propensity of teams in all sports to play down to the level of their competition, and our level of apprehensiveness should perhaps rise a little.

Just sayin ....

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

From the Courant post-game coverage:

"I just don't understand it," (UConn AD) Toner said, looking at the crowd of 7,529 - which is 8,671 short of capacity. "What does it take?"

The most vocal fans were in the Central section on the east end. They yelled the loudest when the Blue Devils took a 3-0 lead and then a 9-6 lead in the first quarter. They also gave the team a standing ovation when it left the field at halftime, trailing only 12-9.

I prefer to think of the game in 95, when we snapped their KR in half, and won 54-9.

Reaction Score
I am going to suggest that based on last night's results, and the well established transitivity property of football game outcomes, that perhaps tomorrow's game may not be quite the walk-over that many think it will be.

Add to that observation the well known propensity of teams in all sports to play down to the level of their competition, and our level of apprehensiveness should perhaps rise a little.

Just sayin ....

Or it means we can beat FIU if we play well.

Reaction Score

Just sayin ....
After seeing one UConn game in 2022, still think one win is reasonable? Just askin...

Reaction Score
Damn how I wish I could be there! Feeling really pumped. If you're going to the game,
please get in early to cheer the different groups who work hard to help with the game day atmosphere. Show the team we care.

Reaction Score
After seeing one UConn game in 2022, still think one win is reasonable? Just askin...
I have consistently predicted 3 wins. Do a search for the last 6 months. What I did say is that 1 win is not impossible. And neither is 2 wins.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
"I just don't understand it," (UConn AD) Toner said, looking at the crowd of 7,529 - which is 8,671 short of capacity. "What does it take?"
There was a lot that guy didn't understand.

Reaction Score
I was one of those Freebie Hill people. Carried a quarter keg up there for one game. The 80's were a strange time for college football in New England. BC was doing its thing. Everyone else was trying to keep their programs going. BU and Northeastern were decent programs but decided to give up football eventually. We had 5 winning seasons in a row -86-90- with players like QB Matt DeGennaro who was helping with the sideline reports on the radio show a couple years ago. At the time the big game to go to for UConn fans was the Yale game and there were some big crowds at the Yale Bowl. Then people stopped going into the game and just partied in the parking lots. Toner was mystified in that interview but he knew we had to keep up with the big boys. He got us into the Big East. Very interesting that the New Haven head coach who beat us 14-13 in Tom Jacksons second to last season (1992) was Mark Whipple. The decision to hire PP/GDL over him has put us where we are today. Hoping for a revival and praying Jim Mora can make it happen. We were a essentially minor league team and had minor league attendance. Toner was fighting the tide thinking playing Central in Storrs was going to be a big deal.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Absolutely! I mean other than hiring Jim Calhoun and hiring Geno Auriemma and deciding to join the Big East, what did he really do?

(I will never understand why you have such a woody for Toner. He is undeniably the most impactful athletic Director we’ve ever had at the University of Connecticut, and individually was genuinely a nice and very personable guy who made time for everyone.)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Absolutely! I mean other than hiring Jim Calhoun and hiring Geno Auriemma and deciding to join the Big East, what did he really do?

(I will never understand why you have such a woody for Toner. He is undeniably the most impactful athletic Director we’ve ever had at the University of Connecticut, and individually was genuinely a nice and very personable guy who made time for everyone.)
And got Gampel built? That was a VERY big thing at the time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
And got Gampel built? That was a VERY big thing at the time.
True, but I feel like Gampel opened after he left. But he definitely played a role in getting it built.

(And he served as president of the NCAA.)

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom