Game Thread UConn vs OSU 5:30 PM Monday | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Game Thread UConn vs OSU 5:30 PM Monday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Where is Hoopdreams? Didn't he say Mitchell would get at 30 points tonight? And Gabby would foul out if she had to guard Mitchell? And Mitchell would blow by Mo?

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Sluconn Husky said:
This team is great but my concerns about KLS not being ready seemed to have been proven. More practices and some games will help.

I thought Lou played very well except for not hitting either of her two threes. She got some contested rebounds, controlled some off-target passes that could easily have been turnovers, did her job at both ends, and got a backdoor layup. I do not recall her being cleanly beat on defense, at least not for an easy score.

The only thing to criticize is her three-point shooting, and that will surely come.

Having said that, she certainly should not be starting over Gabby. But she is more productive than Gabby was in any game last year against a quality opponent.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
But she is more productive than Gabby was in any game last year against a quality opponent.

Hard to compare when Gabby basically never saw the floor against the half dozen best teams UConn faced. She did provide excellent defense against Courtney Williams in the AAC final.

Reaction Score
Lou and Napheesa looked like it was their first college game. It looks like napheesa is already ready on D but needs to figure out her offensive game. Just getting stronger will help. Lou needs to get stronger also so she can bring her game inside a little. She just cant hang out on the three point line. I heard Geno yell to move to the whole team but I think it was more directed toward her. As soon as she moved she got open back door but the pass was off. I think they both will be ok.

Reaction Score
Hard to compare when Gabby basically never saw the floor against the half dozen best teams UConn faced. She did provide excellent defense against Courtney Williams in the AAC final.
I think we have enough of a sample size now to see Gabby's trajectory, and it looks Gabulous! Sometimes she's a little aggressive and still makes some mistakes, but even Mo forced a pass that as a senior she should have known better, so I'm willing to cut her a little slack. Plus Gabby is a lot of fun to watch. Would I like to see them develop Butler into Dolson Part 2? Sure. Would I like them to give KLS a ton of minutes to get her 3-point shooting going? Of course. But watching Gabby out there isn't a bad alternative.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Tough to argue any of these points when "quality teams" and "half dozen best teams" means different things to different fans. Up until the NC, game USF could argue that its late-season product was the best team UConn had played, and Gabby had 6 rebounds to go with 6 points on 3-3 shooting in only 15 minutes. She also had a double-double against Rutgers in the second game of the Tourney, and every game after the first one has to be taken somewhat seriously. Even in her raw early part of the season, she had 14 points and 7 rebounds against a decent DePaul team. But besides being the sure scoring option late in many games during the second half of the season, Gabby's best gift to the team both while playing with the starting unit and subs was her ability to vacuum up rebounds, 6 times going for double digits there. That helped to take a lot of pressure off Kiah and Morgan especially, and helped them to save a lot of energy and wear and tear during the season.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Gabby uses her athleticism well. She got some big rebounds and tipped a number of balls. She's still learning, but she's a valuable player already.

Lou took a couple of treys that looked like good shot opportunities, but both missed by 6" or so. I'm trying to stay patient. When she starts hitting them, we'll be unbelievable. Meanwhile, Morgan is hitting threes, as is Kiah. Stewie should shoot well, and Moriah was over 45% last year. I still miss Kaleena, but we'll be fine.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I just got home from a MBB game; it sounds like you guys played pretty well tonight. Congratulations.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Do you think???? She's a frosh. Give it a rest and enjoy her amazing career.

Pardon me for making an observation. Sorry, for making an observation that's not all rainbows and candy.

Reaction Score
This team is great but my concerns about KLS not being ready seemed to have been proven. More practices and some games will help.

Geno mentioned in the presser that KLS was 'a little under the weather'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom