Game Thread UConn vs ND | Page 21 | The Boneyard

Game Thread UConn vs ND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Them missing Turner did have a part in that. On the flip side, if we get more contributions from Mo and KML, or if we just hit the chippies, this is a 30 pt game.

Stewart was 3-12 from the field.

The Irish will be quite dangerous come March. Still, they're young and will be even better next year. Hopefully, Gabby Williams develops over the next few months so Geno doesn't have to go with a 6-player rotation like he did today.

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
I feel really, really good.
With turnovers, some missed chippies, a mediocre game from Stewie and sub-par MJ, UConn still beats a good ND team by 18. That's a nice foundation to build on.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score

The Irish will be quite dangerous come March. Still, they're young and will be even better next year. Hopefully, Gabby Williams develops over the next few months so Geno doesn't have to go with a 6-player rotation like he did today.

Folks will have their games. I am not worried about Stewey

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Yeah, we shouldn't let this go to our heads, and instead see it as a time to learn. So many faults showed themselves, I thought. So there will be lots of growth after this. So sorry for Turner...would have been a different game with her. I wonder if she'll be back soon? Anyway, what a triumph, in spite of the clear room for improvement!

Reaction Score
Glad I was wrong in my prediction. :) However, I did say UConn could win if Turner didn't play. :). Team wouldn't have owned the paint if Turner plays. Margin of victory indicates it wouldn't have mattered if Turner had played. Not sure.

Don't take this the wrong way - you're a fine poster. But you are also very nervous or you see danger at every corner- and that is okay - to each his own. You had posted that Team USA was going to have their hands full with Spain, didn't you? And another post on how UCONN is going to struggle mightily vs USC?

Anyhow ND was playing at home and that advantage disappears. We'll see how well their frosh can play big in NCAA's when we meet them more than likely in ff or finals. They are relying on a frosh to play big at the ff or finals. My money would be on UCONN though I've been known to lose quite a bit in Vegas/Sun/Fox before. . .

Last edited:

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Geno on Morgan Tuck: It's hard to explain what's she's good at... She seems to be pretty good at everything. She just is a really good basketball player who does a lot for us, I can't say enough about her. We're really fortunate to have her

She is, and always has been (from what I have seen), flat-out *incredible* at recognizing what's there, what's not, and not hesitating one millisecond in consideration thereof. Simply the best at that! No one compares.

Nurse is very good this way also, especially for a frosh.

Reaction Score

The Irish will be quite dangerous come March.

SO will UCONN. If Stokes gets better offensively- and MoJeff hasn't been very good so far this year - at least nowhere near her preseason projection of number 11th best wcbb - they have a lot to be concerned about going against UCONN.

Reaction Score
If you had told me that UConn could win by 18 at ND (even with Turner out) and Stewart, KML and Jefferson would not have very strong offensive games, I would have laughed at you and asked, "Where will they get their offense? Tuck?"

Just shows how much I know.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
An 18 point win and there's still plenty of room for improvement. 4 of 17 from 3pt., 24 turnovers.
Jefferson 0 for 8, 5 turnovers. Yet the game wasn't close.

Not to mention that Nurse was 1 for 6 from the line. Stewie was 0nly 3 for 12.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
If you had told me that UConn could win by 18 at ND (even with Turner out) and Stewart, KML and Jefferson would not have very strong offensive games, I would have laughed at you and asked, "Where will they get their offense? Tuck?"

Just shows how much I know.

It takes a bigger man to admit that they are wrong. and I am so glad that you were wrong. Tuck ROCKED!!

Reaction Score
I know there are lots of tweets asking is there any question UConn is the #1 team, but South Carolina is playing a top 10 team on the road tomorrow too. If they win they should retain the #1 spot.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I know there are lots of tweets asking is there any question UConn is the #1 team, but South Carolina is playing a top 10 team on the road tomorrow too. If they win they should retain the #1 spot.

aren't they playing Duke?

Reaction Score
SO will UCONN. If Stokes gets better offensively- and MoJeff hasn't been very good so far this year - at least nowhere near her preseason projection of number 11th best wcbb - they have a lot to be concerned about going against UCONN.

Exactly. Like Geno said ND will get better but so will we. Thing is ND thought they were better than this so if does come to ND/UConn in the tournament this game may be in their heads.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Let's not sound like we won't be a ton better, too. ND is fine but their many vulnerabilities showed today.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
There is no "should" there is "may." SoCar will need a convincing win there are playing a wounded Duke team. Teams get passed by others all the time even when they win.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Let's not sound like we won't be a ton better, too. ND is fine but their many vulnerabilities showed today.

Stewart and Jefferson could certainly be better. Hard to imagine Tuck or Stokes improving from those performances. The unforced turnovers could be lessened. Turner's presence will help ND. Any meeting down the road will be on a neutral floor which is a plus for UConn.

The real issues for ND against UConn is the lack of defensive ability and athleticism from Reimer, Mabrey, and Westbeld. UConn really took advantage of that. And I thought Nurse was really important despite the TO's and missed foul shots. I'm becoming more convinced by the day that she's the real deal.

Reaction Score
There is no "should" there is "may." SoCar will need a convincing win there are playing a wounded Duke team. Teams get passed by others all the time even when they win.
I know rankings and pollsters are flaky, but if South Carolina wins even by one point tomorrow, they are undefeated. They rightfully should stay #1 until there's a team with a better record. Do you rank teams by their record or by a magical eye-test? I know the answer to that one, but my own personal belief, biases aside, would say South Carolina should stay #1 until they have an equal or worse record than UConn or the next best team.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Stewart and Jefferson could certainly be better. Hard to imagine Tuck or Stokes improving from those performances. The unforced turnovers could be lessened. Turner's presence will help ND. Any meeting down the road will be on a neutral floor which is a plus for UConn.

The real issues for ND against UConn is the lack of defensive ability and athleticism from Reimer, Mabrey, and Westbeld. UConn really took advantage of that. And I thought Nurse was really important despite the TO's and missed foul shots. I'm becoming more convinced by the day that she's the real deal.
More than that I expect our timing to be improved, our screens and picks to be better and the team including the freshmen to have a much better command of the offense and the varying options within motion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Wait, you're becoming more convinced? She's the real deal and I think she has proved it now that 1/4 of the season is in the books.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Wait, you're becoming more convinced? She's the real deal and I think she has proved it now that 1/4 of the season is in the books.

Prior to today her best games were against inferior competition. I've loved what I've seen but I wanted to see it against better players before coming to conclusions.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I know rankings and pollsters are flaky, but if South Carolina wins even by one point tomorrow, they are undefeated. They rightfully should stay #1 until there's a team with a better record. Do you rank teams by their record or by a magical eye-test? I know the answer to that one, but my own personal belief, biases aside, would say South Carolina should stay #1 until they have an equal or worse record than UConn or the next best team.
Records are meaningless at this point as the various rating services provide sufficient evidence to see. Beating a wounded two loss Duke team by one doesn't keep them in first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom