Game Thread - UConn vs Coll of Charleston | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Game Thread - UConn vs Coll of Charleston

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Well, there are other UConn boards out there, maybe those will have more nuts and bolts analysis some seem to want. Or, maybe the folks that want more analysis can start threads that are more tecnical in nature rather than waiting for them to appear. I do know asking people to change to suit them is fruitless.

I hear THAT

Reaction Score
As always simply saying things like they need to stop the turnovers or they need to stop missing bunnies does not provide insight into what is happening or why things are happening. Are they playing too quickly? Is there a lot of contact? We're passes to the wrong side of a player? Did a player fail to close on a pass and close out the defender? Was a player out of position causing another to travel when they went to pass to the expected location or threw the ball out of bounds based on expectations? Is it a cacophony of errors or is there a pattern. Seeing the result doesn't necessarily help to diagnos or repair the problem.

Geno addressed the turnover issue during his halftime interview. I cant quote him verbatim but what he said in essence was: We are playing more quickly because it seems to get us going. When you play that quickly turnovers are a result. But it gives more of that energy and aggressiveness that we want.

Sounds like he is willing to accept the trade-off for now.

Reaction Score
That type of analysis is exactly what is needed in game threads and, also, post game threads. In game threads it is necessary if one wants to understand what the options are that can be made on the run. It is coach in game thinking. It is asking what are we able to do to change the status quo of the present situation. It is thinking of changes in defense, man to man vs zone and if so which zone, it is deciding to press or to slow the game down, it is a hundred things and maybe none of them. Any of which may be what is necessary now or the game can be lost.

It is, also, post game analysis. It is seeing what skills must be developed, it is recognizing which player combinations worked and which did not. It is planning for the future and broader long term changes and team development. It is all that and much more. But in game analysis is always important and is helpful even in game threads because of what we learn. If in game analysis is not helpful or possible then coaches need only sit mute on the bench. For fans it is interesting and helpful because we can see if the coaches see what we see and make adjustments that we might posit as worthwhile.

How fortunate the board members are to have you tell everyone how / what to post.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Maybe there isn't time, during a game thread, for a dissertation on the nuances of the 2-3 zone, but, frankly, mindless pissing in the pool isn't enlightening. I tend to agree with Ice & Rady: posting "negatives" isn't the problem. Posting negatives without substance or detail does tend to rub some folks fur the wrong way, myself included. I had no problem with folks watching last nights' game posting things about the excess turnovers, the poor execution, missed defensive assignments, etc., if they didn't include things along the line of "this kid can't play/start, about time they're on the bench, we can't beat a good (not great, merely good) high school team, why do we play such lousy opponents" etc. We all tend to use hyperbole at times, but, there's exaggeration to make a point, and then there's ludicrous falsehoods and personal attacks. You can point out the flaws, and complain about them, without resorting to personal attacks and flat-out lies.

Reaction Score
How fortunate the board members are to have you tell everyone how / what to post.
There are LOTS of those on the board. This comment seems to have a bit of personal animosity behind it?

The game threads can be multi-purpose. I personally could do with less of the play by play basics and more of the finer details of how it was accomplished. But others may enjoy the basic run down of who made the basket, score and time left. I use Gamecast for that level of detail if I want to know it. I skip over those posts and look for the other posts to explain why someone felt something was not so smart.

I think part of the lack of more detailed comments in last night's game thread is there does not seem to be an enforced time between posts right now. It is a pain when you have to wait 30 seconds or a minute between posts. But on the other hand while waiting for the ability to make another post it does allow the individual posting to put more context around their comment.

Just one person's opinion. Take what you like, leave the rest behind.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Geno addressed the turnover issue during his halftime interview. I cant quote him verbatim but what he said in essence was: We are playing more quickly because it seems to get us going. When you play that quickly turnovers are a result. But it gives more of that energy and aggressiveness that we want.

Exactly, he did. He is watching it in real time and analyzing the game and knew the trade offs.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
If you think I was telling people how to post you don't have a clue. I was describing what "I" find more helpful than much of the material posted. I want to learn what folks know about the game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score

Is Geno following Sylvia Hatchell? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak