Game thread - Starting line up today? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Game thread - Starting line up today?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
I didn't know 'birch' could be a verb :)

I didn't either. I was typing real fast and it just came out that way.

This is the first game with all of the players in the house. There are bound to be growing pains I am sure. I wish I could have seen it - did I say that enough times? Hopefully, tomorrow's game will be streamed....

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Considering travel and trying to rotate 15 players, little playing time together, and its one game that means squat other than issues that need to be addressed.

Totally agree. And who is coaching? Oh, yeah, Geno...the best of the best IMO

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Hard to tell from this play by play but a couple of telling points:
3rd Q - no minutes for Dolson, Lavender, Diggins, Sims, or McBride. They all got a run in the fourth Q, but USA went with a front court of Nneka and Stewart for quite a stretch and they were effective (though of course Cambage wasn't playing in the second half.)

Stewart and Nneka led the USA in - Stewart led with 9 points, Nneka and Moore led with 6 rebounds each (Stewart with 5)
DT led the team with 6 assists.
Of the young guards - no body really impressed on paper - McBride ended with the highest followed by Diggins and Sims trailed - they each got between 10.40 and 12.58 minutes, each had a single assist, OS and SD each had a turnover and a foul, McBride committed two fouls. McBride has 5 rebounds - Sims and Diggins each 1. Diggins went 2-3, McBride 1-2, and Sims 1-4. My biggest question here and one we cannot tell anything about from the PbyP or box is what the perimeter defense looked like from these three. That may ultimately be the deciding factor as the offensive end looks about the same.

On the two bigs: Neither did much of anything - was -2 for Dolson and 0 for Lavender. Dolson was 1-3 with zero rebounds, two TOs and three PFs in 8.38. Lavender was 2-7 with one rebound and 1 PF in 13.24 minutes. Dolson's size strength advantage was probably neutralized by Cambage only playing 9 minutes, mostly against Tina. And USA experimented with small line-ups more than I expected with more effect than when either Dolson or Lavender were in the game

Fightin Choke

Golden Dome Fan
Reaction Score
Hard to tell from this play by play but a couple of telling points:
3rd Q - no minutes for Dolson, Lavender, Diggins, Sims, or McBride. They all got a run in the fourth Q, but USA went with a front court of Nneka and Stewart for quite a stretch and they were effective (though of course Cambage wasn't playing in the second half.)

Stewart and Nneka led the USA in - Stewart led with 9 points, Nneka and Moore led with 6 rebounds each (Stewart with 5)
DT led the team with 6 assists.

Of the young guards - no body really impressed on paper - McBride ended with the highest followed by Diggins and Sims trailed - they each got between 10.40 and 12.58 minutes, each had a single assist, OS and SD each had a turnover and a foul, McBride committed two fouls. McBride has 5 rebounds - Sims and Diggins each 1. Diggins went 2-3, McBride 1-2, and Sims 1-4. My biggest question here and one we cannot tell anything about from the PbyP or box is what the perimeter defense looked like from these three. That may ultimately be the deciding factor as the offensive end looks about the same.

On the two bigs: Neither did much of anything - was -2 for Dolson and 0 for Lavender. Dolson was 1-3 with zero rebounds, two TOs and three PFs in 8.38. Lavender was 2-7 with one rebound and 1 PF in 13.24 minutes. Dolson's size strength advantage was probably neutralized by Cambage only playing 9 minutes, mostly against Tina. And USA experimented with small line-ups more than I expected with more effect than when either Dolson or Lavender were in the game

I'm not sure why they call it an efficiency rating, because that is clearly not what it is. It seems more like a contribution index, in that more you do, the higher your score. For example, if one player shot 3-4 and another was 5/10, all other things being equal, the 75% shooter would have a lower efficiency rating!

3/4 would be 6 points and 1 miss, so that would be +5 (6-1)
6/12 would be 12 points and 6 misses so that would be +6 (12-6)

Here is the full equation: = PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK − Missed FG − Missed FT − TO

It rewards stat stuffers, even if they aren't necessarily efficient.

I'm not sure how McBride did not impress you. Judging by her box score, she was very efficient. She shot 50% (both attempts were 3's), added an assist, had no turnovers, and her 5 boards were just 1 below the team-high 6 (attained by both Nneka and Maya), despite playing under 11 minutes. Since we can only go by the box score, I think she did very well. Skylar's numbers are nice was well, as far as true efficiency is concerned. Of course if we had video, we'd know so much more about everyone's performances, like how many passes should have been assists but were flubbed by the shooter or drew fouls that sent the shooter to the line. We'd know how many fouls were committed to prevent an easy basket because someone else got beat off the dribble. I hope tomorrow's scrimmage is streamed, but I am not confident it will be.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
None of the young guards had very good stats. I agree that it may well come down to what we cannot see in the box score, which will be defense. However, McBride did have 5 rebounds. But even that stat can be deceiving for guards if long shots resulted in long rebounds that just happened to bounce in their direction.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm not sure why they call it an efficiency rating, because that is clearly not what it is. It seems more like a contribution index, in that more you do, the higher your score. For example, if one player shot 3-4 and another was 5/10, all other things being equal, the 75% shooter would have a lower efficiency rating!

3/4 would be 6 points and 1 miss, so that would be +5 (6-1)
6/12 would be 12 points and 6 misses so that would be +6 (12-6)

Here is the full equation: = PTS + REB + AST + STL + BLK − Missed FG − Missed FT − TO

It rewards stat stuffers, even if they aren't necessarily efficient.

I'm not sure how McBride did not impress you. Judging by her box score, she was very efficient. She shot 50% (both attempts were 3's), added an assist, had no turnovers, and her 5 boards were just 1 below the team-high 6 (attained by both Nneka and Maya), despite playing under 11 minutes. Since we can only go by the box score, I think she did very well. Skylar's numbers are nice was well, as far as true efficiency is concerned. Of course if we had video, we'd know so much more about everyone's performances, like how many passes should have been assists but were flubbed by the shooter or drew fouls that sent the shooter to the line. We'd know how many fouls were committed to prevent an easy basket because someone else got beat off the dribble. I hope tomorrow's scrimmage is streamed, but I am not confident it will be.
One thing I noticed is that Fiba does give assists to passers to players fouled in the act of shooting based on the PbyP at least.
Otherwise - the two fouls is a downer on someone playing only 11 minutes, but the 5 rebounds is definitely a plus. Just based on the box score here and the two games we did see, I think McBride has been the strongest of the three and Sims the weakest, but I think the fact she is less of a PG is weighing against her. I was interested to see that Sims and Diggins started the 4thQ and McBride got her minutes at the end of the quarter.
It is like trying to read tea leaves here. I would put an ND player making the final team at about 75% now, but who knows.

Reaction Score
I didn't either. I was typing real fast and it just came out that way.

This is the first game with all of the players in the house. There are bound to be growing pains I am sure. I wish I could have seen it - did I say that enough times? Hopefully, tomorrow's game will be streamed....

FYI from Webster Dictionary.

2birch

verb
Definition of BIRCH
transitive verb
: to beat with or as if with a birch : whip

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
There's a tweet in french saying that Cambage may have ruptured her achilles tendon. No confirmation from the Opals.

Ladyhoop @Ladyhoop_News · 37m
Apparemment rupture du tendon d'Achille pour Liz Cambadge qui s'est blessée ctre Team USA. Gros coup dur pour l'Australie si ça se confirme

Hope that's not true.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
A quote from Geno regarding Camabge

Australia’s Liz Cambage left the game after falling down in the first half. Would you have liked to have seen her in longer?

"I would have like to have seen her out there, because we need to be challenged in that area. Our big guys need to be challenged. That’s an area where we’re obviously concerned. There are a lot of really good post players that aren’t here, size-wise anyway. The ones that are here are so young, they really don’t have the kind experience that they need, playing against these kinds of players. So, yes it’s unfortunate. I hope she’s okay. There’s nobody like her. Brittney Griner’s big. Brittney Griner’s tall. This girl is tall (with emphasis), and she’s big (with emphasis) and that’s a deadly combination."

http://www.usab.com/news-events/news/2014/09/additional-quotes-usa-72-australia-66.aspx

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
None of the young guards had very good stats. I agree that it may well come down to what we cannot see in the box score, which will be defense. However, McBride did have 5 rebounds. But even that stat can be deceiving for guards if long shots resulted in long rebounds that just happened to bounce in their direction.

I agree ETT, I doubt it would come down to a box score, as who knows whether a shot taken was even a good shot, made or missed. A rebound can fall in your hands. Stats don't mean a thing without putting them in context!

ChicagoGG

Windy City Kitty
Reaction Score
Thank you, Rady!!! I could only check in from time to time (work) so, much appreciated!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Cambage had more points (9) and rebounds (9) in her 9 minutes of play than our three centers combined in 35 minutes of play. If we meet them again and she is available for the entire game that could spell trouble.

Lavender 2 points, 1 rebound
Charles 6 points, 2 rebounds
Dolson 0 points, 0 rebounds

Not a very impressive performance, especially consider Lauren Jackson is out and Cambage played only 9 minutes. This has me a tad concerned but was not completely unexpected considering the performance we had against Canada.

Except these games are exhibitions. Once there is something on the line - watch DT light em up.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Totally agree...those two showed that they belong on this team.

We need BG to get healthy real fast. A game with Cambage on the court for the entire game could have a different outcome.
I love Griner, but I think she'd be schooled by a player like Cambage. Same height but twice as big, plus Brit is only in her 2nd year out of college. Last time we faced Australia, it wasn't Parker, Charles, or Fowles who stopped Cambage - it was Ashja Jones. Why? She's only 6'3" but very strong and a very smart player.

By the way, my comment was meant not as a criticism of Brit - just that she'd be out of her league vs. Cambage... now in 2 years at the Olympics, maybe a different story...

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I love Griner, but I think she'd be schooled by a player like Cambage. Same height but twice as big, plus Brit is only in her 2nd year out of college. Last time we faced Australia, it wasn't Parker, Charles, or Fowles who stopped Cambage - it was Ashja Jones. Why? She's only 6'3" but very strong and a very smart player.

By the way, my comment was meant not as a criticism of Brit - just that she'd be out of her league vs. Cambage... now in 2 years at the Olympics, maybe a different story...

LOL. Out of her league. That's funny.

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
PalPa said:
FYI from Webster Dictionary.

2birch
verb
Definition of BIRCH
transitive verb
: to beat with or as if with a birch : whip

Well yeah that's how I intended it

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
UConnCat said:
There's a tweet in french saying that Cambage may have ruptured her achilles tendon. No confirmation from the Opals.

Ladyhoop @Ladyhoop_News · 37m
Apparemment rupture du tendon d'Achille pour Liz Cambadge qui s'est blessée ctre Team USA. Gros coup dur pour l'Australie si ça se confirme

Hope that's not true.

Egads I hope so too - that's a nasty injury and very painful

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
ChicagoGG said:
Thank you, Rady!!! I could only check in from time to time (work) so, much appreciated!

You are very welcome

Reaction Score

So is Griner coming over or what? Would have been better to get schooled today than in a couple weeks.......?

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
And tell me, how many times have you seen Cambage play in the past two years that she hasn't played in he WNBA?
I watched her in the last Olympics and I watched her score at will on Parker, Fowles and Charles. She scored 19 points in the first half. Jones shut her down in the 2nd half and that set the stage for Charles and others to finally score as the US won going away.

Griner is a really really good young player but she's neither strong nor experienced. I just don't think she'd be able to slow Cambage down at all given they are the same height but Cambage is much stronger.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I watched her in the last Olympics and I watched her score at will on Parker, Fowles and Charles. She scored 19 points in the first half. Jones shut her down in the 2nd half and that set the stage for Charles and others to finally score as the US won going away.

Griner is a really really good young player but she's neither strong nor experienced. I just don't think she'd be able to slow Cambage down at all given they are the same height but Cambage is much stronger.

Looks like it may be a while before we find out. Tough break for Liz and the Aussies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
ericsandiego said:
I watched her in the last Olympics and I watched her score at will on Parker, Fowles and Charles. She scored 19 points in the first half. Jones shut her down in the 2nd half and that set the stage for Charles and others to finally score as the US won going away. Griner is a really really good young player but she's neither strong nor experienced. I just don't think she'd be able to slow Cambage down at all given they are the same height but Cambage is much stronger.

Liz is much stronger but doesn't have much lift (not that she normally needs much at 6'8") and I think there's as good a chance that BG could afford to play behind her without getting schooled. The strength/girth is most critical if you have to keep her from getting deep position in the first place. Not sure if it would be as big of a concern for BG as for everyone else. Liz is used to simply turning and "voila!" shooting over people. Not able to do that with BG who also has much better hops and possibly wingspan.

If Liz had the footwork of a Taj McWillams-Franklin or K McHale, she could probably take advantage of her size and school BG down low as you say. But she doesn't , and therefore it's not at all a foregone conclusion (to me) what the outcome would be in that matchup. On BG's end, I see Liz having a much tougher time defending because Griner's repertoire has really expanded and she has much more range with her pivot step than Liz is used to dealing with. On top of that her footwork is getting good.

My 2 cents

Last edited:

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Liz is much stronger but doesn't have much lift (not that she normally needs much at 6'8") and I think there's as good a chance that BG could afford to play behind her without getting schooled. The strength/girth is most critical if you have to keep her from getting deep position in the first place. Not sure if it would be as big of a concern for BG as for everyone else. Liz is used to simply turning and "voila!" shooting over people. Not able to do that with BG who also has much better hops and possibly wingspan.

If Liz had the footwork of a Taj McWillams-Franklin or K McHale, she could probably take advantage of her size and school BG down low as you say. But she doesn't , and therefore it's not at all a foregone conclusion (to me) what the outcome would be in that matchup. On BG's end, I see Liz having a much tougher time defending because Griner's repertoire has really expanded and she has much more range with her pivot step than Liz is used to dealing with. On top of that her footwork is getting good.

My 2 cents

Your 2 cents bought you a "like."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member