Game thread Stanford - UConn | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Game thread Stanford - UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
No one should feel confident about having to go to ND right now. That game is a mere 2-3 weeks away. I think tonight we learned there are better teams than us, at least right now. Good thing KLS is ours and can't change her mind to go join her sisters!
Yeah! Those Samuelson sisters killed us! Quick, smart, opportunistic...they were fun to watch. That said, I'm glad we got the third.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
You need to give Stanford some credit. They were physical with Stewart and she was tired down the stretch. Samuelson stayed all over KML and prevented her from getting many looks. KML is carrying about 20 extra pounds that seem to limit her mobility and ability to lose her defender. The Stanford guards were very good and beat their defenders over and over.

I was impressed with Chong on offense but she was a liability on defense. And UCONN needed more from Stokes thank 6 points.

Nurse sure is going to be a good one. She plays years beyond her age and it hurt when she fouled out.
Great analysis! :)

Reaction Score
There were screwups and a lack of adjustments everywhere. How does Stanford shoot 48% and score 88 points with 8 assists against 14 turnovers? Why were 43% of UConn's shots from three?

And I know it looks bad to mention it in a loss, but poor officiating really comes into play in close games.

That stat (Stanford scoring 88 pts with only 8 assists) points out UConn's inability to guard players one on one on the perimeter. We had a couple of players who had real trouble on the defensive end tonight. We should have a re-vote on that poll comparing this year's team with last year's team. I think the outcome would be somewhat different.

Reaction Score
Yeah! Those Samuelson sisters killed us! Quick, smart, opportunistic...they were fun to watch. That said, I'm glad we got the third.
The scary part for our opponents from 2015-2019 is that the third one may be the best one. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
Not me! I loved the games when Maya was here and the games were pretty much done by the first TV time out. I like watching the crisp, well executed basketball, not this junk from tonight where the whistle blows every 5 seconds. When the whistle's a-blowin', UConn's a-losin'.

To me thats like watching the Harlem Globetrotters against the Washington Generals. A basketball exhibition, not a competition. One of the reasons the mens game is so good is the winner isn't a forgone conclusion. A team ranked 25th can compete against and beat a top ten team.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Shocked Completely Shocked. The Bright spot was Chong. This was her breakout game. No turnovers and 20 pts. A big plus for UConn and down the road it will pay off. We were exposed tonite to some weaknesses. Weak side help on the dribble drive which we didn't defend. Late in the game to many mistakes. Leaving Orrange open, taking the ball out with 2+ seconds and not getting it to half court????? No pick and rolls for KML. A lot of question marks. Stanford executed well and showed great patience. Stanford played physical and UConn didnt. UConn usually stops their opponents scorers tonight Orrange and Thompson scored at will. Me playing Monday morning quarterback I think I would've played zone and let them bomb away and eliminate the dribble drives. I would've also had some sets with Tuck Stokes and Stewie with Chong and Nurse. Stanford kept Mojeff on the perimeter and shut down KML forcing everybody else to score. Its a tuff loss but the reality is we need a lot of work. It came down to defense and tonite we didn't have a defense to stop Stanford.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
You need to give Stanford some credit.

They definitely deserve some credit. Having said that, a phantom foul on Stokes down the stretch gave Stanford two crucial free points, there was no Nurse due in part to two horrendous foul calls on her earlier in the game, and we won't even get into UConn's inability to get the ball inbounds or foul when up three late, or take a three when needed in the dying seconds. It took a lot to merge together for that end result to happen.

Reaction Score
You need to give Stanford some credit. They were physical with Stewart and she was tired down the stretch. Samuelson stayed all over KML and prevented her from getting many looks. KML is carrying about 20 extra pounds that seem to limit her mobility and ability to lose her defender. The Stanford guards were very good and beat their defenders over and over.

I was impressed with Chong on offense but she was a liability on defense. And UCONN needed more from Stokes thank 6 points.

Nurse sure is going to be a good one. She plays years beyond her age and it hurt when she fouled out.
This. Cold. Hard. Facts. Stewie cannot do it by herself. By the way, this is where I think we maaaay be able to separate DT from the rest of the pack. Think of how she carried that 2003-04 team.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The biggest problem, IMO, was the porous defense. If there is one thing that Geno can teach it is defense. Now it wasn't the only problem but it was huge. Take away the uncontested lay ups and we win.

Reaction Score
Great analysis! :)
Good analysis. Especially with Nurse. She seemed to keep her head better than some of the veterans AND kept it together with all the lousy calls they gave her. She is going to be good.

Reaction Score
My takeaway from this game is that Stanford could not play any better and UConn couldn't possibly play any worse- and it was still just a 2 point OT loss. I'm gonna need a good rationalization to get through the night.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
That said, why did we not foul in regulation---three points ahead---and under 15 seconds. When the clock ran down to under 5 seconds we could have fouled. In this game, on their court and momentum on their side, I would have fouled.

Geno doesn't do that. Remember the 3-OT loss in South Bend? Same situation, no foul, and McBride bounced in a three to tie it.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Geno doesn't do that. Remember the 3-OT loss in South Bend? Same situation, no foul, and McBride bounced in a three to tie it.

MOST coaches don't do that. Unfortunately.

Reaction Score
Come on people stop blaming. Had the Stanford girl Orange rimed it with 1.3 second to go we would had walked out of there with a win. And we're all dwelling on how great everybody was.
There will be more defeats to come. What this team needs is a a floor leader and that has to be a guard. Mojeff, and Chong don't seem to be the type, so it has to be Nurse, poor Nurse has to grow up or we'll be in trouble at ND.

Reaction Score
Shocked Completely Shocked. The Bright spot was Chong. This was her breakout game. No turnovers and 20 pts. A big plus for UConn and down the road it will pay off. We were exposed tonite to some weaknesses. Weak side help on the dribble drive which we didn't defend. Late in the game to many mistakes. Leaving Orrange open, taking the ball out with 2+ seconds and not getting it to half court????? No pick and rolls for KML. A lot of question marks. Stanford executed well and showed great patience. Stanford played physical and UConn didnt. UConn usually stops their opponents scorers tonight Orrange and Thompson scored at will. Me playing Monday morning quarterback I think I would've played zone and let them bomb away and eliminate the dribble drives. I would've also had some sets with Tuck Stokes and Stewie with Chong and Nurse. Stanford kept Mojeff on the perimeter and shut down KML forcing everybody else to score. Its a tuff loss but the reality is we need a lot of work. It came down to defense and tonite we didn't have a defense to stop Stanford.
Wow. Never thought I'd see a UConn women's team play defense like they did tonight. It was inexplicable. Once or twice getting burned with an easy layup, but over and over again??? Weird to see from a UConn team.

Reaction Score
Um, I think and may have our hands full at ND. Some of the problems outed tonight are going to take a while to fix. It's going to be one of those seasons..
Not really our problems was guarding play makers and Lilie and amber is tremendous at driving to the basket. All though llyod can drive she relies on her jump shot more. But by than our D plays better KML will find her game and we as a team make better decision

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
My takeaway from this game is that Stanford could not play any better and UConn couldn't possibly play any worse- and it was still just a 2 point OT loss. I'm gonna need a good rationalization to get through the night.
Disagree. This is young Stanford team learning a new system, and it is being coached by TV. It will be much, much better come March.

Boxerpups4me

Semper Paratus
Reaction Score
Did you think they were going to see the floor in that kind of close game? I'm not being sarcastic. That's an honest question.

I see what you are saying, but the box score shows only nurse playing. And it's not like they are all walk ons, these are highly touted players, especially gabby williams. I thought maybe geno redshirted them or something.

Reaction Score
Disagree. This is young Stanford team learning a new system, and it is being coached by TV. It will be much, much better come March.
I think so too. They are good and scrappy and they can play physical. Imagine Stanford vs. Louisville? Now that game would be a good one to watch.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Hartley used to get abused a lot when she would have a rough shooting night. Her defense, filling passing lanes, and great decision making on offense makes her look a lot better tonight. And Stokes vs Dolson. Forget the offensive end. And when Stanford spread us out with their bigs hitting threes- she wasn't close enough to help during all the penetration from all three guards. Tara can coach, and we tried for 4 of her forwards! They played great!

Reaction Score
I think you're right Tony. I would have let them bomb away as well. Eventually those 25 footers were gonna stop dropping, and if not, then it wasn't meant to be. Some weird stuff for sure tonight. Stewie called for 3 3-second violations? And a 5-second inbounds violation? I'm just thinking back to last year's defense. Man where was that tonight. Oh yeah, that's right, it's in Russia and Hungary. I think starting Kiah is different than coming into the game with 10 minutes in the half Kiah. Obviously Stewie had more options with Stef feeding her. Even Mo benefited from having a very experienced #2 playing along side her. By the way, did anyone catch Becca's comments at the half that Mo was the only other player in the country besides Stewie that could get drafted after this year (not that they would, it is WCBB after all)?

Reaction Score
Kiah Stokes on the offensive end kills us - when she touches the ball, the entire defense slacks off to double Stewie. Stokes wouldn't take 10-12' open looks. Then she rushes a 20' shot only a few secs into the shot clock, late with the lead.
Positives-Chong looks Gd on offense, Nurse is a player. Tuck moving well.
Stupid out of position fouls we committed all game. They called a chg on us late - Nurse? When defenders both feet in/on circle. I thought the refs stunk. Either way- Stanford has 3 talented gds that can penetrate and shoot and very athletic front line players that can rebound and drain threes. Very dangerous combination. They are good.

Yes. Stokes has no business playing the high post because she can't pass, is no threat to take an outside shot, and just holds the ball. She needs to play down in the low post. Period. Get Butler in the game- quick.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

They may very well be in all around play, but I'll stand by my prediction that they do not shoot 49% against another Top 10 team for the rest of the year. The fact that they have a new system makes it harder for the teams playing them early. We'll see how it goes for them as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
UOTE="HoopsFan21, post: 1130696, member: 3789"]No one should feel confident about having to go to ND right now. That game is a mere 2-3 weeks away. I think tonight we learned there are better teams than us, at least right now. Good thing KLS is ours and can't change her mind to go join her sisters![/QUOT
Im confident we can go there and get it done why ? Because its the woman's game 2. its the second game of the season 3. Stanford always play us tough and it was just one of them days we just didn't play well and lost by 2 & should of won 4. Were UConn if anyone can turn around quick is Geno

Reaction Score
Hongstost: 1130739 said:
Come on people stop blaming. Had the Stanford girl Orange rimed it with 1.3 second to go we would had walked out of there with a win. And we're all dwelling on how great everybody was.
There will be more defeats to come. What this team needs is a a floor leader and that has to be a guard. Mojeff, and Chong don't seem to be the type, so it has to be Nurse, poor Nurse has to grow up or we'll be in trouble at ND.
Mojeff played horrible a bit to fast didn't seem to know what she wanted to do

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robrio89