Future Big East football picture? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Future Big East football picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
All that is needed are people that can sell the dream to recruits and fans alike. ...If schools like Boise State, with it's limitations, can become a "ranked" program, so can a school with UCONN's resources.

I'm as big a dreamer as anyone, but don't think Boise got here on a dream. Since they had built in disadvantages they decided to recruit players that would never have been admitted at UConn. Do you want to lower our standards and bring in all the top Jucos? That wouldn't be "selling the dream", it would be buying a nightmare.

Reaction Score
I'm as big a dreamer as anyone, but don't think Boise got here on a dream. Since they had built in disadvantages they decided to recruit players that would never have been admitted at UConn. Do you want to lower our standards and bring in all the top Jucos? That wouldn't be "selling the dream", it would be buying a nightmare.

you really should do some homework before you spout off about something you know absolutely nothing about, last year Boise was 2nd behind Penn State in grade avg. for their football team, this years scores are being put together as we speak, Boise State has a record 56 players this year who have a 3.5 or higher and are expected to beat out Penn for the top spot.

Boise State has the SAME requirements as any other D1 team, at most 2 Jucos in any given year will be brought in, most years it's zero. Saying that Boise State is only good because they bring in players who can't qualify at other places is just an excuse that ignorant people use as to why they can't beat Boise State. Did you know that there are players on Boise State right now who turned down ND, Stanford, UCLA, etc. to play for them?

Reaction Score
Boise is a crappy former community college, with no natural reason for success. The odds of them stringing several more top 25 seasons together are slim. In the Forbes national ranking of colleges, they rank 614th. Think about that. They have never once played a season against decent league competition. Stadium seats 37k. They are not even on the same planet as Penn State. Even if you just go back to 1999, when Boise went to its first bowl game, Penn State has been better. Boise has had a brief run as a good team. Nothing more. You could say the same of Iowa under Hayden Fry.

WOW, were to start, Boise State started over 80 years ago as a religious girls school, became a JC, then DII and then 15 years ago made the jump to DI, they won a NC as a JC, a NC in DII, and 2 BCS Bowl games so far at the DI level, their combined winning % over their entire existence is .726 which puts them 2nd all time just behind Michigan, in the past 4 years they compiled a record of 50-3, which has never been done before by anyone, in the past decade they won more games(119) then anyone over a 10 year period going back over 100 years, in fact you would have to go back to the 1880's when Yale was playing 16 games a year against mostly club teams to find a team who won more games, in fact Dennis Erickson who won 2 NC games just said last week...

Dennis Erickson compliments Broncos

In CDA press interview discussing conference shuffling.
http://www.cdapress.com/news/sports/article_6dd63b 5a-8552-5be1-b145-3e961734bafe.html

"That’s why everybody’s realigning. That’s why teams are going to the Big East — they don’t know if the Big East is even going to be in the bowl alliance. So people are bailing — Boise goes there, San Diego State goes there. Boise had to do it, because it’s a tremendous football program. (Coach Chris) Petersen’s done a great job; the community of Boise has been unbelievable. They’ve got so many things going down there that now they want that opportunity to get into a national championship game, and the only way for them to do it is to get into one of those conferences. People jump at stuff, and they don’t really know what’s going to happen. Financially they (Boise State) are going to be way better off going to the Big East. And that’s part of the reason they went. And the other reason is they feel they have an opportunity to win a national championship, and I’ll tell you what — last year, I’m not so sure they couldn’t. (Boise State beat Arizona State 58-26 in the MAACO Bowl in Las Vegas last year, in Erickson’s final game at ASU). They were that good."

Reaction Score
Dan you appear to be a Boise guy. UNderstand that around here, you will run into people like Husky Hawk that are basketball oriented people. To the people that have grown up as fans of UCOnn athletics as a big east basketball power in the past 20 years, and don't have a football understanding nationally, of what has happened in the past 20-30 years, or where UConn has really come from and where we are..... the current big east moving forward is a disgusting frankenstein of a monster, and they'd rather be in the ACC with no control whatsoever over our own media rights.

Sorry - huskyhawk, for using you as an example.....but if the shoe fits...? :)

Now, in reality, the concept of Boise playing in the big east? Well i find it really ironic, there was a lot of discussion a while back, by uconn fans around ehre, about if UConn should be pursuing the likes of Boise for scheduling........lots of back and forth. Before any of the madness. I personally am excited for the competition.

As far as the college football post season goes, to my knowledge, all of the discussions that led to Boise and the Big EAst becoming partners, as well as all the other additions, was done with the full knowledge, and anticipation, that the BCS AQ and all of that as it existed in 2011, would be gone by 2014.

So, to me, the BCS and it's reorganization, it's non-issue for membership moving forward, we all anticipated this. The Big EAst is now a national conference, and the likes of UConn and Boise are part of it. I gave a rundown of the history of the ocnference and northeast college football, that also involved Yale on a different thread. Take the time to read if you will.

The conference leadership, from 1979, up until 2011, was very much held in the hands of the parochial school leadership that founded out the Big East out of the reorganization of college athletic departments in the northeast USA in the 1970s.

I firmly believe that leadership, from the conference offices to the various university presidents and councils has changed paradigms completely in the past year, as their basketball creation on the east coast, nearly died, from the way they operated it from the mid 1980s until 2011.

I look forward to the success of the big east conference in the future, under new leadership.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Dan you appear to be a Boise guy. UNderstand that around here, you will run into people like Husky Hawk that are basketball oriented people. To the people that have grown up as fans of UCOnn athletics as a big east basketball power in the past 20 years, and don't have a football understanding nationally, of what has happened in the past 20-30 years, or where UConn has really come from and where we are..... the current big east moving forward is a disgusting frankenstein of a monster, and they'd rather be in the ACC with no control whatsoever over our own media rights.

Sorry - huskyhawk, for using you as an example.....but if the shoe fits...? :)

Now, in reality, the concept of Boise playing in the big east? Well i find it really ironic, there was a lot of discussion a while back, by uconn fans around ehre, about if UConn should be pursuing the likes of Boise for scheduling........lots of back and forth. Before any of the madness. I personally am excited for the competition.

As far as the college football post season goes, to my knowledge, all of the discussions that led to Boise and the Big EAst becoming partners, as well as all the other additions, was done with the full knowledge, and anticipation, that the BCS AQ and all of that as it existed in 2011, would be gone by 2014.

So, to me, the BCS and it's reorganization, it's non-issue for membership moving forward, we all anticipated this. The Big EAst is now a national conference, and the likes of UConn and Boise are part of it. I gave a rundown of the history of the ocnference and northeast college football, that also involved Yale on a different thread. Take the time to read if you will.

The conference leadership, from 1979, up until 2011, was very much held in the hands of the parochial school leadership that founded out the Big East out of the reorganization of college athletic departments in the northeast USA in the 1970s.

I firmly believe that leadership, from the conference offices to the various university presidents and councils has changed paradigms completely in the past year, as their basketball creation on the east coast, nearly died, from the way they operated it from the mid 1980s until 2011.

I look forward to the success of the big east conference in the future, under new leadership.

In my defense, I was a college football fan before Boise State played its first game as a D1 program. It is precisely that appreciation for history, and the history of watching Colorado challenge and surpass my favorite team at the time, Nebraska, only to fall back again, that makes me believe that Boise's success is not sustainable. I've watched it over any over. Few programs can make the leap, and fewer still can sustain it for any period of time (which Boise has not yet). I don't suggest that they haven't been darned good of late.

A person ignorant of college football, a pure basketball fan, would assume the opposite. As it is much easier to achieve long term success in basketball, and to elevate a program to new heights. UConn is proof. Had Boise had the same level of success in hoops, I would give them better odds of continuing it.

Reaction Score
you really should do some homework before you spout off about something you know absolutely nothing about, last year Boise was 2nd behind Penn State in grade avg. for their football team, this years scores are being put together as we speak, Boise State has a record 56 players this year who have a 3.5 or higher and are expected to beat out Penn for the top spot.

Boise State has the SAME requirements as any other D1 team, at most 2 Jucos in any given year will be brought in, most years it's zero. Saying that Boise State is only good because they bring in players who can't qualify at other places is just an excuse that ignorant people use as to why they can't beat Boise State. Did you know that there are players on Boise State right now who turned down ND, Stanford, UCLA, etc. to play for them?

Thanks for your comment ... you obviously have knowledge beyond our fan base.

I think PERCEPTION is a hard thing to purge. Peterson (and Hawkins before him) has clearly set a great path. The academic element fits the overall structure of that program ... imho. Boise gets a lot of California kids (and others) who have options for other places; but, Boise provides a great football/academic fit. That's hard to know from the Northeast.

We (UCONN fans) are just a little fatigued with our 8 year BE tumlultuous venture. It is obvious to me that Programs all over this country are fighting like we are to get to a good platform in football. Which sets in place many other things for our University.

Reaction Score
"Boise State, which has had 10 consecutive senior classes claim 40 or more wins in their career, is hoping whatever the answer might be the latest crop of signal-callers can follow up the remarkable four-year career of Moore in an effort to keep the Broncos a household name beyond The Gem State."
Did you miss the part were they have the 2nd best winning % of all time?

Reaction Score
In my defense, I was a college football fan before Boise State played its first game as a D1 program. It is precisely that appreciation for history, and the history of watching Colorado challenge and surpass my favorite team at the time, Nebraska, only to fall back again, that makes me believe that Boise's success is not sustainable. I've watched it over any over. Few programs can make the leap, and fewer still can sustain it for any period of time (which Boise has not yet). I don't suggest that they haven't been darned good of late.

A person ignorant of college football, a pure basketball fan, would assume the opposite. As it is much easier to achieve long term success in basketball, and to elevate a program to new heights. UConn is proof. Had Boise had the same level of success in hoops, I would give them better odds of continuing it.

I remember you saying somethin glike that about football, which is why I apologized for singling you out. I think Boise is going to do just fine recruiting as a Big East conference member.

Reaction Score
Just a point on Boise State. Although BSU's academic standards are not as high as ours, it's not as if they are using that to load up on 4 and 5 star recruits. Their recruiting classes look a lot like ours over the past 10 years or so.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Just a point on Boise State. Although BSU's academic standards are not as high as ours, it's not as if they are using that to load up on 4 and 5 star recruits. Their recruiting classes look a lot like ours over the past 10 years or so.

That's what is remarkable. I think they have overachieved based on talent, in the same way Notre Dame and maybe FSU underachieve. Good coaching and a winning atmosphere help. Don't get me wrong, I like Boise St. for the most part, I just think that when playing a tougher schedule they will lose more often, and over time, overeachievers like Kellen Moore won't come along consitently enough.

Reaction Score

What does this mean?

I mean: are you comparing UConn to Boise based on Rivals & Scout?

That, from my time around the services, is meaningless. Who knows what these kids are? Particularly contrasting two entirely different sides of the country. I don't trust an evaluation from either service by just looking at video.

Reaction Score
Yes, I am comparing rankings based on the the recruiting services. Of course, whether the rankings from those services are accurate evaluations of talent is not my point. We all agree (and I'm sure BSU fans do as well) that the services are not always accurate. Quick example - Donald Brown and Doug Martin were 2 star RBs according to Scout and both of them were NFL first round picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom