Future Big East football picture? | The Boneyard

Future Big East football picture?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here's something I threw together based on what I can find out about what happened today.

Two divisions of football - throw geography out the window - it already is. I'm arbitrarily setting up these lineups. I have no knowledge of any actual divisional alignments that were discussed. But I understand that one of the many ideas, was to showcase the actual national reach of the conference now, and split up the paired teams in regions, and i think it makes a lot of sense.

Call them Red and Blue divisions.

5 games in division - and 3 cross division.

Red:
UConn
USF
Louisville
Memphis
SMU
Boise St

Blue:
University New Jersey
UCF
Cincinatti
Temple
Houston
San Diego State.

5 games in division, 3 cross. Cross games are the local games, and local teams to each other would play annually. SDSU v. Boise would be a cross divisional game.....SMU v. Houston cross division, UCF v USF - cross division. UConn v. Rutgers....etc. .

Adds more value to regular season games.

Winners of each division matchup for a championship game to be held at home field of team with best overall record, which is why local/proximity games - (i.e. SMU v. Houston) would be valueable, b/c the team with te best overall record hosts the championship game at their home.

By hosting the championship game at home, rather than neutral site, the best team in the conference has the least likelihood of getting knocked out of a national playoff picture.

Makes sense to me.

Reaction Score
i think boise/sdsu/smu/houston are going to have to play each other every year, just too much travel for those schools if they dont

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
byu/ and make it east and west. bsu and uh can hold up the west and the east is a yearly tossup unless cincy explodes as a program.

Reaction Score
i think boise/sdsu/smu/houston are going to have to play each other every year, just too much travel for those schools if they dont

Right, if I understand the concept correctly, those games would be preserved and scheduled annually for those teams to reduce travel/time - but they would be cross-divisional games for the conference.

It makes good sense to me, becuase it increases the importance of every regular game. The question all along is why would anyone be interested in say Houston v. UConn as much as Houston v. SMU? Well if it's a divisional game in conference - it's important. And Houston v. SMU still happens, and it's still important b/c the winner of that game has the upper hand in hosting the conference championship game. Same for Florida teams, western teams..... they play annually, but cross divisional.

WHoever came up with it, deserves a cookie.

Reaction Score
Here's something I threw together based on what I can find out about what happened today.

Two divisions of football - throw geography out the window - it already is. I'm arbitrarily setting up these lineups. I have no knowledge of any actual divisional alignments that were discussed. But I understand that one of the many ideas, was to showcase the actual national reach of the conference now, and split up the paired teams in regions, and i think it makes a lot of sense.

Call them Red and Blue divisions.

5 games in division - and 3 cross division.

Red:
UConn
USF
Louisville
Memphis
SMU
Boise St

Blue:
University New Jersey
UCF
Cincinatti
Temple
Houston
San Diego State.

5 games in division, 3 cross. Cross games are the local games, and local teams to each other would play annually. SDSU v. Boise would be a cross divisional game.....SMU v. Houston cross division, UCF v USF - cross division. UConn v. Rutgers....etc. .

Adds more value to regular season games.

Winners of each division matchup for a championship game to be held at home field of team with best overall record, which is why local/proximity games - (i.e. SMU v. Houston) would be valueable, b/c the team with te best overall record hosts the championship game at their home.

By hosting the championship game at home, rather than neutral site, the best team in the conference has the least likelihood of getting knocked out of a national playoff picture.

Makes sense to me.

I thought the board rule was that if you were going to throw out hypothetical conferences, you have to use slashes between names. Did I miss something?

Reaction Score
remember that Navy is coming in for 2015. There's plenty of time to find a partner for them.

Reaction Score
I thought the board rule was that if you were going to throw out hypothetical conferences, you have to use slashes between names. Did I miss something?

Only hypothetical in what I wrote was the actual lineup of each division BL. Pay attention, I'm not joking on this. This concept is real, and it was discussed today according to reporters that were in florida and talked to coaches after the meetings. I have no idea what the actual lineups for each division were in discussions, but if you follow the concept, that's essentially what it should look like.

and the concept is solid. I said a long time ago, that the big east is going to be ahead in scheduling for these large conferences, the other conferences have no idea what they're going to do with large scale scheduling, and most of them, will probably follow this lead.

Yet nobody will credit the big east.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
So am I right that we wouldn't ever play UCF, Houston, or SD State unless it was a championship game scenario?

(I have no problem with this)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Red:
UConn
USF
Louisville
Memphis
SMU
Boise St

Blue:
University New Jersey
UCF
Cincinatti
Temple
Houston
San Diego State.

Is that really our conference? {sigh} :(

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Red:
UConn
USF
Louisville
Memphis
SMU
Boise St

Blue:
University New Jersey
UCF
Cincinatti
Temple
Houston
San Diego State.

I love the enthusiasm, Carl, but I hate the lineup. In my view, one of the few "features" that this new conference can lean on is the ready-made rivalries that we can take advantage of. I see how you want the crossover game to be the rivalry game, but then what's the point of the crossover game? You wouldn't want to have a year where the rivals don't play, so you are essentially saying to rotate the other two games with the other five teams. You won't see a team for 2 straight years! Also, there is a chance with the championship game that you see your rival twice in one season! For example, who cares if L'Ville wins the bucket of nails, if Cincy comes back and wins the conference?? Sillyness.

I much prefer the lineup to have the regional rivals all in the same division. Easier on travel, and spikes interest in the region for the conference. Keeping with the BizLaw formatting (and with regional rivals next to each other):

Blue Division: UConn - Rutgers / Temple - Navy / USF - UCF

Red Division: Boise St. - SDSU / Houston - SMU / Louisville - Cincy / Memphis

The rivalry game should be the last played game of the season for each team, which is fine because none of them will be a crossover. Memphis will have to wait for the next addition (or subtraction, for you smarta$$es!). If or BYU or both come, L'Ville and Cincy both go to the Blue.

We HAVE TO CAPITALIZE on the regional interest and generate some real healthy hatred for each other, which will generate interest from the casual football fan. And I love this alignment. I think it would be shortsighted for the league to send UCF or Temple out west to placate L'Ville travel concerns. Besides, if they are invited elsewhere, they are gone, so do what's best for the conference for a change!

Reaction Score
Lots of scheduling models were discussed. I'm only talkng about the one that intrigued me the most.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Lots of scheduling models were discussed. I'm only talkng about the one that intrigued me the most.

I hear ya, and I hope you didn't take my critique the wrong way. I really think we need to leverage some, if not all, of those rivalries, even if the rivalries aren't established yet (like Temple - Navy). And I can also imagine the right tv network (...NBC!...cough...) setting up the game times where one of the rivalries is played on a Thursday night, a Friday night, and the other four are back to back on Saturday. It would make for an intriguing "Big East Rivalry Weekend." I'm actually a little excited to see something like that....and I'm sure some will expect that I might need to reconsider a head-examination...

Reaction Score
What about all of the ACC teams that will join once FSU, Clemson and VT leave the ACC??? Where do we put BC??

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
What about all of the ACC teams that will join once FSU, Clemson and VT leave the ACC??? Where do we put BC??

We will block BC's entrance.

I will also say that I'm more than pleased by the Big East's decision to hold the Conference Championship game at the top seeded school's home stadium. That to me is a no-brainer. I know that NYC sounds sexy, but playing in front of 10k is going to do more harm than good for our conference. Playing in front of a packed house at one of our universities is clearly the way to go.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
That lineup is never going to play a damn game. It's no different than dan putting together slash conference. 15 years from now the Big East whatever replaces Wikipedia page is going to be as funny as the Regulators lyric breakdown.

I can't post a link, but I was talking to Davy - (who's still in the Navy) and he told me that since they have so many former Big East players Towson is going to be their partner. Dave Meggett and Sean Landeta will be signing autographs at the Power Station Live in Baltimore next week to celebrate the announcement.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Its funny they think more conference games makes it harder to get bowl eligible. They should check their OOC record....,

Reaction Score
If you look at this thing moving forward with any sort of nostalgia for the Big EAst confrence that coulda shoulda....it makes you want to throw up a little bit, or in my case, take MIke Tranghese behind the shed.....

That's why I stopped thinking like that while ago.

This island of misfit toys is our home, and the funny thing is, that no matter how ugly you think it looks, compared to that nostalgic big east of the past, that never really was......

it's a stronger and better football confrence than we've ever had since upgrading to division 1-A.

We'll complain about how littel or much value it has for a couple months. By the time the srping game rolls around in 2013, we'll all know exactly how much it's worth to UConn.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
it's a stronger and better football confrence than we've ever had since upgrading to division 1-A.

We'll complain about how littel or much value it has for a couple months. By the time the srping game rolls around in 2013, we'll all know exactly how much it's worth to UConn.

I actually agree with this statement, mostly. Losing WVU was a big kick in the nards, especially with them being finally recognized as a quality football team nationally after stomping Clemson. However, I think that Boise has also earned that reputation, with big wins of their own, year in and year out. If you look at Pitt and Syracuse versus everyone else that we are gaining, then yes, you have to say that we are a better football conference now than we were a year ago. Nobody on this board (I hope) will argue the fact that Syracuse has been the absolute most embarrasingly crappy team that we've had for the last 6 or 7 years, and it has really hurt the Big East image. Are they great in hoops and other sports? Yes. Are they a good academic institution with a good following with good history? Yes. Have they smelled like cow manure on Horsebarn Hill lately? Absolutely! And for those of you who will say, "But you are replacing Syracuse with even thicker cow manure in Memphis," I say....you're right. But at least there will be a big city surrounding their field to watch us kick their manure, and have FedEx pay for our kicking it.

I just hope that we can at least turn the corner, get a good tv contract, and begin to build some excitement back into the conference.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
uconn/temple/ruty/cincy
navy/ecu/usf/ucf
sdsu/bsu//byu
uh/smu/memphis/lville or smiss

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
uconn/temple/ruty/cincy
navy/ecu/usf/ucf
sdsu/bsu//byu
uh/smu/memphis/lville or smiss

How many of these teams were drafted in your round robin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom