Fun and Informative Article About the 4 Times UConn and TN Met in the Year 2000 | The Boneyard

Fun and Informative Article About the 4 Times UConn and TN Met in the Year 2000

Reaction Score
Very interesting look back at perhaps the biggest year in this rivalry.... lots of comments from players, too.

Probably my favorite little piece of this article: "Taurasi made her debut in the rivalry with 12 points, including a catch-in-the-air-and-spin-around-for-a-layup that had jaws dropping. Afterward, Summitt said, "Four years of that, imagine. I don't want to think about it." Auriemma said of Taurasi, "When she matures, I hope she holds on to her freewheeling style, because it's kind of fun to watch."

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
It's interesting and telling that Geno "declined to be interviewed for this article." When has that ever happened before?

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
In her first game at Tennessee, in January 2000, UConn's Sue Bird looked around at the 23,385 Lady Vols fans and thought, "It's like everyone threw up orange in here."

1579635607334.png

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
It's interesting and telling that Geno "declined to be interviewed for this article." When has that ever happened before?

He seems to have been semi-pushed into this series and if he admitted this, the press would paint him negatively so best to just stay under the radar.

Reaction Score
He seems to have been semi-pushed into this series and if he admitted this, the press would paint him negatively so best to just stay under the radar.
From what he has said it does appear he was pushed into this 2-game series, and I suspect if KJH asks him to continue it he will say, "No thanks." If that is indeed the case, I'm sure he wouldn't want to be part of ESPN's pre-game hype and have to choose between hyping a rivalry he doesn't want to continue, or coming off as a sourpuss.

They had no quotes from Kellie either. Surprised they didn't come up with at least one Kellie Jolly UConn vs. TN player moment. Maybe she's smart enough not to get sucked into that too - heh heh.

Reaction Score
From what he has said it does appear he was pushed into this 2-game series, and I suspect if KJH asks him to continue it he will say, "No thanks." If that is indeed the case, I'm sure he wouldn't want to be part of ESPN's pre-game hype and have to choose between hyping a rivalry he doesn't want to continue, or coming off as a sourpuss.

They had no quotes from Kellie either. Surprised they didn't come up with at least one Kellie Jolly UConn vs. TN player moment. Maybe she's smart enough not to get sucked into that too - heh heh.
Good for both of them- not letting ESPN , the tail, wag the dogs

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
XCLNT! would have liked to see a little longer clip of Taurasi punching that orange stanchion

Reaction Score
The H of F had alot to do with this game being played. If it was just about Pat and Tennessee IMO it wouldn't be played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom