Fuller: UConn working on half-court offense | The Boneyard

Fuller: UConn working on half-court offense

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
at today's practice. What did Geno have the team doing? Playing 5 on 0 and asking the players to use their imagination: http://elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com/2014/01/uconn-working-on-half-court-offense.html

When I got out there Bria Hartley was out there with reserves Kiah Stokes, Brianna Banks, Saniya Chong and Morgan Tuck. Three straight times Stokes hit a layup when Auriemma bellowed "so we're taking the easy way out? The same guy scores every time, that's taking the easy way out.'"

When Tuck hit a foul-line jumper on the next possession Auriemma applauded and then brought in the other four starters to replace the four reserves.

"It is easier to run offense when you are playing 5 on 5 than it is playing 5 on 0," Auriemma said. "Some of the best teams we have had were really good at running our stuff with no defense. We could do it for a half hour sometimes, that 2002 team, Rebecca's team, teams that have been around for a while, Maya her junior year. It is hard because you have to have an imagination because when you are playing 5 on 5 the guy guarding you is going to dictate what you are doing. But if there isn't a guy guarding you, you have a tendency to go catch it and throw a pass and you go 'you know you just hit the guy guarding you in the face with a pass. It makes every cut thy make, everything they do a lot to their imagination and that is kind of how basketball is, you see something that you might do right now. It is something I have always done with my teams and some teams are better at it than others."

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm Ok with Kiah taking the shot, even if it is not imaginative. Get her used to scoring!

There have been times this year, including against Memphis, where it seemed as if we were playing 5 on 0. :)

Geno also talks about how Kelly took away quality shots from the opposing teams' guards. He thinks that's missing some this year.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
All you other Div 1 coaches deposit $75.00 into Geno's Goldforcheap Account.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
More from Rich Elliot:

“The stuff that we do offensively with no defense, that’s hard to do,’’ Auriemma said. “Believe it or not, it’s easier to run offense when you’re playing 5-on-5 than it is playing 5-on-0. But the best teams I’ve ever had were really, really, really sharp and really good at running our stuff with no defense. We could do it for a half hour sometimes with that 2002 team or Rebecca (Lobo’s) team, teams that have been together for a while, Maya (Moore) her junior year maybe. Because it’s hard because you have to have an imagination. Because when you’re playing 5-on-5 that guy guarding you is going to dictate what you’re doing. Well, if there isn’t a guy guarding you, if you’re not careful you have a tendency to go … and you’ll catch it and throw a pass (lackadaisical) and then you go, `Wait a minute, you know you just hit the guy guarding you in the face with a pass.’

LINK

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle