Fuller: Stokes' father discusses her improved play | The Boneyard

Fuller: Stokes' father discusses her improved play

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Greg Stokes wanted Kiah to come to UConn to see if a demanding coach like Auriemma could light a fire inside of his daughter.

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Kiah could have gone to any school, IMHO, and many (if not most all) of them would have been content to let her develop without pushing her and demanding 100% every day in practice. It's nice to see the light bulb coming on and I hope she continues to play with confidence and poise. She will be a monster her senior year!

Reactions: HGN

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
It helps to have parents who support what the coaches are trying to do. I remember what Chris Dailey said about Tina Charles' mom who heard or read every one of the the harsh things Geno would say about Tina: "I can't say enough about Tina's mother (Angela Holgate)," Dailey said. "She said to us all the time, 'What can I say to Tina that reinforces what you're already telling her?'

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
It is such a pleasure to see Kiah's growth virtually game to game.
Such a lost soul the last two seasons.

And let us not forget the freshman Banks, she of the matador D.
King Kong could get around her.
I never saw the potential gamer that we have now in this fearless and brave woman
Who has made such a remarkable recovery from her injury.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The opinion I expressed often about Kiah is that she was a really sweet kid with a great smile and that her talent would never be realized unless and until she became a badass on the court.

Her dad's comments seem to bear me out as he made reference to how Kiah was inluenced by the very nice people who have surrounded her in Iowa.

Well, Kiah is now one honest-to-God BADASS once she suits up in her UConn #41 uniform.

Opponents, you are on notice! Behind that sweet smile is a player who will get in your frickin' face and ruin your day!

And then she will smile.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
I think that Aja needs to read this article.

Geno is like what the Army recruiter says....he will get you to be all you can be.

Reaction Score
The opinion I expressed often about Kiah is that she was a really sweet kid with a great smile and that her talent would never be realized unless and until she became a badass on the court.

Her dad's comments seem to bear me out as he made reference to how Kiah was inluenced by the very nice people who have surrounded her in Iowa.

Well, Kiah is now one honest-to-God BADASS once she suits up in her UConn #41 uniform.

Opponents, you are on notice! Behind that sweet smile is a player who will get in your frickin' face and ruin your day!

And then she will smile.
Agree 100%. Seems like a real nice kid, quiet with her head in the clouds. I've always thought that if she became aggressive and could focus she'd be a beast with unlimited potential.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
With the confidence she is developing,and the joy she shows on her face from contributing,IMO,she is like a spaceship leaving the atmosphere.Freshman year,she was getting off the launch pad,sophomore year,she rid herself of stage 1,this year she is losing stage two.Now,as stage two falls away,there is only the main ship left,and the goal of becoming a very good player is starting on her journey.This young lady is becoming,just becoming,something special,and when it all comes together,which it will,I predict another exciting,big,with a chance to move into a different stratosphere than she or anyone else could ever imagine.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kiah's parents are an interesting combination: Greg is a huge former NBA player, Julie is a rather petite blonde MD.

Kiah is a very good student and, from all accounts, a really sweet kid. A few years ago, we had another really sweet kid with tremendous ability. Tina Charles has since taken the leap to the world's elite. Kiah can be very, very good herself. I love the way she's playing and am extremely happy for her.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

I think her dad's quote about Iowa is spot-on. For real. EVERYONE here is super friendly. :D

I never really thought of Iowans as nice/superfriendly. ;)

Reaction Score
Agree 100%. Seems like a real nice kid, quiet with her head in the clouds. I've always thought that if she became aggressive and could focus she'd be a beast with unlimited potential.
If she can do it against the better teams I'll be even more convinced.

Reaction Score
With the confidence she is developing,and the joy she shows on her face from contributing,IMO,she is like a spaceship leaving the atmosphere.Freshman year,she was getting off the launch pad,sophomore year,she rid herself of stage 1,this year she is losing stage two.Now,as stage two falls away,there is only the main ship left,and the goal of becoming a very good player is starting on her journey.This young lady is becoming,just becoming,something special,and when it all comes together,which it will,I predict another exciting,big,with a chance to move into a different stratosphere than she or anyone else could ever imagine.
It's common knowledge that she has some superb physical characteristics with shoulders that are the envy of many a college and probably WNBA player and long long arms along with good mobility and her blocking skills are off the charts. If she is able to maintain this confidence and continue to bust her butt, she'll become so good that national championships this year and her senior year (next year) will be all but a certainty. It can be done without her but with her playing up to her ability, our odds are appreciably better.

Reaction Score
Her Attitude has picked up & affected her Practices with the resulting great Performances.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I suspect we haven't seen anything yet.

Technically, her defense and rebounding are off the charts; her foot movement is classic, her sense of where the ball is coming off the rim (hard to teach) is first-class, and once she has the ball, it's almost impossible to tie her up.

But she is still making noises about the other great scorers and how she just has to suppliment them, giving herself leeway to not fully embrace her gifts.

If the combination of her dad, brother, mom being nearby and the staff can continu to push her towards a full exploitation of her talents, it's hard to envision just how magnificent she can be.

My impression is that there is still more, a lot more.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
If she can do it against the better teams I'll be even more convinced.

Two things different in the last few games. First - the guards are getting her the ball in the low post and second when she gets the ball she looks to score. It will be interesting to see if that continues against better competition. IMO it will.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Her Attitude has picked up & affected her Practices with the resulting great Performances.
Not to nit pick, but I've never read anything negative related to her "attitude".

It may be splitting hairs, but IMHO there is a difference between effort and attitude. She's always been a happy, smiling, supportive player for the team. To me, that's more reflective of her "attitude". Per her dad, the problem was getting more of an edge and giving maximum effort all the time. That's what Geno and co. have been working on the past 2+ years and it's really paying off. :)

bschwartz

Popular Im-Poster
Reaction Score
Looking for at least a repeat performance against Elizabeth Williams. But as I have said, Kiah is my favorite storyline for this year. Her determination and perseverance a midst the whisperers is inspiring. She did not quit and now she is reaping the benefits. So hope it continues to blossom.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
geesh is Stokes the 13-14 season's Bria Hartley... she's playing well and we're still not convinced, better competition? DD just posted her numbers, who's left? There's not enough shots to go around for her to be as dominant as some what her to be. Kiah will be fine

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Two things different in the last few games. First - the guards are getting her the ball in the low post and second when she gets the ball she looks to score. It will be interesting to see if that continues against better competition. IMO it will.

Agree Buff, certainly a key on the offensive end. she's become an intregal part of the offense and is being looked for and fed (unlike the past).

I think that scoring against the elite teams is an issue of no consequence, there are no Brittany's about and she will get the same offensive opportunities against stiffer competition.

Reaction Score
The thing that impresses me the most about Kiah is her ability to rebound out of her area or in other words, she rebounds not only balls that are in her near vicinity. She is kind of Dennis Rodman like in that sense.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Also notice in the last three or four games Kiah has been a part of the big front line. Stef and Stewie are looking for her down low as are the guards. And we have seen a short range jump shot added to her offense. Points will be there as better competition comes along. Even if she averages 8 to 10 points a game, she's another weapon for teams to account for. That is a big plus.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Speaking of Kiah and the nice people of Iowa, I wonder if Geno is trying to schedule a homecoming game for Kiah. Iowa City (home of the Univ of Iowa) is close to Kiah's home (30 mins), but Iowa State (Ames, IA) is only about 2 hrs away. I'd be happy with either one.

Reaction Score
Greg Stokes wanted Kiah to come to UConn to see if a demanding coach like Auriemma could light a fire inside of his daughter.

LINK
Greg Stokes is an impressive guy. I happened to catch her press conference annoucing her choice to come to UConn. Mr. Stokes was one of the best things about it, so full of love for his daughter, so happy with her choice, smart and articulate. I thought at the time, we not only get great players, we get great families.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom