Fuller: Samuelson enjoys her visit to UConn | The Boneyard

Fuller: Samuelson enjoys her visit to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
"I thought it was good, it was pretty intense," Samuelson said. "Coach (Geno) Auriemma always has good stuff to say and it is great to see everything that is happening there. It was like a whole different level. If you watch any high school (practice) it is nothing compared to college practice, UConn, they were on top of everything."

LINK

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Well she's looking at all the current top programs. The rich look to get richer wherever she goes...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
She wants to go someplace where she'll be challenged and become the best player she can be. Is she speaking in code?? :)

I think the intensity of practice will stand out in her mind, even after visiting the other schools.

And then there's the KML connection. KML. KLS. Love it!

FairView

Mad Man
Reaction Score
She wants to go someplace where she'll be challenged and become the best player she can be. Is she speaking in code?? :)

I think the intensity of practice will stand out in her mind, even after visiting the other schools.

And then there's the KML connection. KML. KLS. Love it!
My initial thoughts say that's a good thing.

HGN

Reaction Score
If what she said is true and she wants to be at a school that can make her the best she can be ; and wants to be in a competitive environment ; that's UConn. Her list includes ND, Stanford, Kentucky, Duke, and UCLA. If she doesn't choose Stanford I think she would really be open and in play. And if she's in play , UConn should be the choice.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Well, considering KML's comment about the way people mangle her name and not being happy about everyone just punting and using her initials instead, maybe we should spend the next year spelling out Katie Lou Samuelson to be on the safe side!!!:rolleyes:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
At the risk of being re- [petitive or dundant], I see UConn holding a hand of four kings and a jack. Here goes.

King #1. Personal Development. She can expect to be coached by Geno, CD and Shea for four years, and their ability to develop talent is well documented. And reinforced by KML. The other schools under consideration have good to great coaches, but none quite at this tier.

King #2. UConn wcbb Environment. She sat in Gampel and observed one of Geno's rigrous practices and, by the way, she just might have noticed those eight NC banners, the retired jerseys and other manifestations of UConn's dominance. And, oh, don't you think she knows a lot more than we do about that new practice facility under construction next door? She may even be aware of the vigorous fan base.

King #3. Her UConn Teammates. She surely knows about the firepower en route to Storrs (Williams, Ekmark, Nurse and Edwards for sure, others TBA) and should feel confident about their qualities and her ability to fit in -- and win! -- with them.

King #4. Potential for NC's and Olympic Team. This is easy. Think of last year's Oscars, when the emcee said "Our next presenter needs no introduction." He did an exit left and the incomparable Meryl Streep did an entrance right. To thunderous applause.

Jack. UConn is a fine school with a lovely campus in a region that is a blend of boondocks and bucolic. But no way is it Stanford or Duke or ND or UCLA academically. Or aesthetically.
Not a bad hand. I like our chances.

Last edited:

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Well, considering KML's comment about the way people mangle her name and not being happy about everyone just punting and using her initials instead, maybe we should spend the next year spelling out Katie Lou Samuelson to be on the safe side!!!:rolleyes:

If you need to use 3 letters for Katie Lou Samuelson, just use LOU.
Thats what everyone calls her out here.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
At the risk of being re- [petitive or dundant], I see UConn holding a hand of four kings and a jack. Here goes.

Jack. UConn is a fine school with a lovely campus in a region that is a blend of boondocks and bucolic. But no way is it Stanford or Duke or ND or UCLA academically. Or aesthetically.
Not a bad hand. I like our chances.

I agree on UConn not being on an academic par with those 4, but it isn't shabby by any means. As far as aesthetics go, UConn is all that shabby either. I've never been to Duke, which I hear is very nice, nor ND, which is probably nice, but I've been to Stanford and to UCLA, the latter many times because my son lives a 5 minutes walk away. Parts of Stanford are striking, especially the main entry, but some parts are ordinary. UCLA has a great campus, particularly for an urban location, but UConn is a decent match.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
If what she said is true and she wants to be at a school that can make her the best she can be ; and wants to be in a competitive environment ; that's UConn. Her list includes ND, Stanford, Kentucky, Duke, and UCLA. If she doesn't choose Stanford I think she would really be open and in play. And if she's in play , UConn should be the choice.

I don't know if you missed it but her list also included Ohio State.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any BYers call Kaleena "Kalana" in a while. If she doesn't like the initials, we can certainly call her Kaleena. Or, as some insiders call her, just "K." It think even we can handle that. :)

Ok, Katie Lou Samuelson will be "Lou." She'll knock down consecutive treys, and it will sound as if the crowd is booing. Or mooing. :p

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Question in regards to recruiting:

There is limited contact with coaches with Lou right? Can her sisters "recruit" her to Stanford during the time period? Like is anything they say not allowed...?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

There is limited contact with coaches with Lou right? Can her sisters "recruit" her to Stanford during the time period? Like is anything they say not allowed...?
It would be impossible to enforce if there was. Who is going to monitor what goes on between sisters at home.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I can't help but think she is going about this in the logical, traditional manner. Start with a long list, then cut in half.

Then get it down to a reasonable number, like her current seven or so.

Next cut to a maximum of five (that's all the official visits allowed plus you must deal with realities re time available to travel).

It would seem to me that it will be difficult for OSU and Kentucky to compete with UConn, Stanford, Notre Dame or UCLA.

So let's see how it plays out. I still like our chances.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Players can recruit anytime. There's no restrictions on them talking to recruits only on coaches if her sisters wanted to recruit her they certainly can without any restrictions.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
I don't know if you missed it but her list also included Ohio State.

Lou originally had University of Washington on her list. I am guessing she liked McGuff, or his system at UW. When he took the job at tOSU I am guessing out of respect to him she kept her options for going to the school he is at. Better chance of Icebear enjoying Phoenix in the summer than Lou going to tOSU, IMO.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Lou originally had University of Washington on her list. I am guessing she liked McGuff, or his system at UW. When he took the job at tOSU I am guessing out of respect to him she kept her options for going to the school he is at. Better chance of Icebear enjoying Phoenix in the summer than Lou going to tOSU, IMO.

HGN was stating her list and Ohio State was not a part of their list but Lou has them listed so I was merely adding it to the list. I wasn't saying she was going to go there but thought it should be consider apart of her list.

Reaction Score

thank you for her connection and why Ohio State is on her list.

Reaction Score
Based on her comment I don't see Ohio St. or UCLA in the mix, which leaves five schools.

Reaction Score

New recruiting rules went into effect and now coaches can have unlimited contact with high school juniors starting September 1st of junior year, and the coaches are in constant contact with the 2015s it also allowed for the home visits in September, KLS didn't have any home visit, was playing in the 3x3 USA team during that time.

Rule went into effect September 1, 2013

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
New recruiting rules went into effect and now coaches can have unlimited contact with high school juniors starting September 1st of junior year, and the coaches are in constant contact with the 2015s it also allowed for the home visits in September, KLS didn't have any home visit, was playing in the 3x3 USA team during that time.

Rule went into effect September 1, 2013

Actually, Geno did a home visit - 9/23 I believe. Adamec blogged on it, quoting her and dad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom