Fuller: Comparing MoJeff to Sue Bird's sophomore year | The Boneyard

Fuller: Comparing MoJeff to Sue Bird's sophomore year

Status
Not open for further replies.

HGN

Reaction Score
Thanks Pap for the link........... Before looking at the comparison , I didn't think MoJeff would compare favorably. But in looking at the numbers , MoJeff is in the ball park , in the game , and at bat to have as great a career at UConn. In other words , MoJeff's numbers are just as good as Sue's in many catregories. In fact , better in some. Hopefully she can keep it up. But to this point she has been impressive.

Now if MoJeff can duplicate Sue's great Jr. and Senior years.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
It's interesting that MoJeff has picked up a few more assists than Sue had in the same game span as a sophomore. Small differences like that mean little, but that she's even in the same running with Sue for things like assists and points would be hard to have predicted from last year. MoJeff's steals ability is unmatched. But Fuller left out the other big MoJeff stats category: those monster blocks. Sue, BTW, had 1 block as a sophomore, so MoJeff has already put in a big distance in that category.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I am assuming that the sophomore season of Sue Bird is 1999-00, despite the for all intents and purposes lack of experience as a freshman. Mo had the benefit of terrific experience in her first year in college, but, however her stats and Sue's compare, I'm sure she'll be satisfied with equaling Sue as starting PG for a national champion. :)

Reaction Score
I don't look at the numbers. I go by the guts and right now I don't feel MoJeff will ever given me that confidence that Sue has over the years.

Sue was everything a coach can dreamed off, she ran the court to perfection.

Reaction Score
Thanks Pap for the link...... Before looking at the comparison , I didn't think MoJeff would compare favorably. But in looking at the numbers , MoJeff is in the ball park , in the game , and at bat to have as great a career at UConn. In other words , MoJeff's numbers are just as good as Sue's in many catregories. In fact , better in some. Hopefully she can keep it up. But to this point she has been impressive.

Now if MoJeff can duplicate Sue's great Jr. and Senior years.

HGN: good thoughts; I think she has a real good shot at the "duplication."

Reaction Score
It's interesting that MoJeff has picked up a few more assists than Sue had in the same game span as a sophomore. Small differences like that mean little, but that she's even in the same running with Sue for things like assists and points would be hard to have predicted from last year. MoJeff's steals ability is unmatched. But Fuller left out the other big MoJeff stats category: those monster blocks. Sue, BTW, had 1 block as a sophomore, so MoJeff has already put in a big distance in that category.

DOBB: nice addition. More monster blocks in store.

Reaction Score
I am assuming that the sophomore season of Sue Bird is 1999-00, despite the for all intents and purposes lack of experience as a freshman. Mo had the benefit of terrific experience in her first year in college, but, however her stats and Sue's compare, I'm sure she'll be satisfied with equaling Sue as starting PG for a national champion. :)

ALEX: well said.....and right on target, I'm sure. Them's the things what matters.

Reaction Score
I don't look at the numbers. I go by the guts and right now I don't feel MoJeff will ever given me that confidence that Sue has over the years.

HON: understood; but I'm thinking you might be in for a very pleasant surprise.

Reaction Score
Would imagine that Shea has had a lot of influence on Jefferson........anyone see enough practices to have any observations on that?

Reaction Score
Completely different style of point guard. Few, if any, have Sue's basketball IQ. Moriah is more of a gritty hustle type PG. Surprising assist numbers for Moriah tho. I believe she has a lot of improvement to make in her ability to get the pass into the post from the perimeter, but shes still putting up great numbers without that skill.

Reaction Score
HON: understood; but I'm thinking you might be in for a very pleasant surprise.
That would be very nice surprise! And I hope you're right. :)
I would like to see Mojeff take them 3s when she is opened. And if she can knock them down like Sue did she will be tough to beat.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
I don't look at the numbers. I go by the guts and right now I don't feel MoJeff will ever given me that confidence that Sue has over the years. .
Are you a doctor or an undertaker?

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
MoJet is taking the appropriate 3s. In the first 10 minutes against Baylor she made them pay for cheating away from her. MoJet's style is something of a hybrid of Sue and Jen. A little bit of each and a whole lot of herself.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is an interesting comparison - and very interesting that Moriah is shooting almost 10 percentage points higher and has almost a full point higher on Asst/TO to this point. The steals were expected but nice as well. I do think last years experience certainly helps Moriah though a lot of what she learned Sue was also learning sitting on the bench - the offensive and defensive sets. It is a long jump from 18 games into Sophomore season to where Sue ended up, but nice to see Moriah is on the same path to date.
I also think her scoring which was a huge concern for posters this summer has proven to be more that adequate. She is doing what she is supposed to do - make something happen when things break down, score in transition and off steals, and knock down enough open shots to keep defenses honest.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score

So, we should ignore the numbers and just trust your gut and compare her to "Sue... over the years". Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Bottom line: I just love watching Mo play. Her energy, her effort, her blazing speed, and her startling productivity, make her everything I hoped she'd be coming into Storrs in 2012. She may or may not have a Sue Bird-caliber career when all is said and done, but I'll cherish the four years.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
Are you a doctor or an undertaker?
Actually probably an augur. Remember back in the heyday of Greece and Rome that the soothsayers would look at the entrails of sheep and make pronouncements like "The Huskies will win number 9" and "MoJeff will have more than one steal on Sunday" that were so astoundingly unexpected when they invariably proved correct the masses believed these wise guys had supernatural powers.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Interestingly, I've been thinking about this very point. I recall reading late in the 2000 season how Sue was improving and playing with more confidence and aggressiveness. I was surprised that she ever lacked either. Later in the season, she took on a bigger scoring role, I believe. She is clearly the gold standard.

Though Sue had limited playing experience as a frosh, she listened to Geno intently. If ever there was a coach on the floor--at UConn, in Seattle, or for Team USA--it is Suzanne Brigit Bird.

Moriah is different, but great in her own way. She has more speed and hops. She may never be the shooter that Sue is, but I'm not sure that even Dee or Maya is. I think she'll be fabulous. She's already very good.

Reaction Score
I don't like comparisons like this. Different teams have different needs and roles that have to be filled.
All I can say is that she will be a thorn in the sides of all our competitors.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting the link. Great job by Fuller. Really interesting and in some cases very surprising numbers. As others have already opined, she is really fun to watch and we should all enjoy her remaining years as a Husky. Final comparisons can be made when she's finished.

Reaction Score
Don't forget, Sue tore her ACL her freshman season. It makes a big difference, just ask Brianna Banks.

Reaction Score
So, we should ignore the numbers and just trust your gut and compare her to "Sue... over the years". Makes sense to me. :rolleyes:

Numbers are for hairsplitter like you :rolleyes:

For me. Just one look at a player and I will know how the future for Uconn.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Numbers are for hairsplitter like you :rolleyes:

For me. Just one look at a player and I will know how the future for Uconn.
It's okay, I completely understand....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom