Full Court Press | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Full Court Press

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Tonyc, so you don't think UConn has lost much with Stef and Bria leaving. How about four year starters, incredible leadership and extreme work ethic, not to mention Stef keeping everyone loose. Nothing against Kiah but she is unproven as a starter. We're not talking about a backup role. She is the starter for all thirty-nine games. Morgan is her backup, but she's a power forward, not a true center. Where's the depth upfront? There's little to speak of. We're also counting on Morgan to be healthy for the entire year, which hasn't happened yet. The press could come in handy if the bigs get in foul trouble and the Huskies need to speed the other team up. There are a lot more ifs this year than last year.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Of course we lost a lot. We lose a lot just about every year. And almost without exception, new heroes emerge to take the places of the departed, always different in details, but taking up the slack in terms of impact. I don't really see how anyone can expect the coming season to be different.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Love it when any of you post video clips. Pleeze keep them coming!

Reaction Score
There have been exceptions. Who picked up the mantle when D left? How many years was it before we won another championship or were even close? There will not be players who can replace Stef and Bria. They will have to do it as a team, and that may include pressing if the bigs have foul problems and they need to play small. That would be the best way to get the ball back since they lack height and depth up front.

Reaction Score
I agree. Against AAC teams, it would border on sadism ...

So the frosh haven't even stepped on the floor for their first game yet and you're gonna lay it all on Sadie?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So the frosh haven't even stepped on the floor for their first game yet and you're gonna lay it all on Sadie?
Good one ! She's the recruit that we have but no one wants to talk about.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Tonyc, so you don't think UConn has lost much with Stef and Bria leaving. How about four year starters, incredible leadership and extreme work ethic, not to mention Stef keeping everyone loose. Nothing against Kiah but she is unproven as a starter. We're not talking about a backup role. She is the starter for all thirty-nine games. Morgan is her backup, but she's a power forward, not a true center. Where's the depth upfront? There's little to speak of. We're also counting on Morgan to be healthy for the entire year, which hasn't happened yet. The press could come in handy if the bigs get in foul trouble and the Huskies need to speed the other team up. There are a lot more ifs this year than last year.
I didnt say we didnt lost much with Stef and Bria leaving. Yes they will be hard to replace but we have players who can replace them better then Duke losing a bunch, with no replacements, and Stanford losing Chiney and they have no one close to replace her. You cant replace players but you can bring in other quality players who can fill their positions and run a different type team. Last season when a few games got tight we had no replacements and if we had a player or two in foul trouble they became defenseless in the sense they had to be careful not to commit another foul or Geno sat them. This season we have depth and can replace players. We also have kids with experience who will get better. So we may not have Stef and Bria but we do have good players who can fill in as they develop.

IMO I see Saniya having a good season. First off she made very few turnovers. Second she has a year under her belt and this season we will need her to score. She was terrific at taking it to the rim in HS. I think we will see more of that.

I think UConn and South Carolina will be the two top teams. Tenn UNC UCLA Texas ND and some others have talent but are not in the same league as UConn which should go undefeated again this season. IMO SC is good but wont be able to handle UConn.

So getting back to the question. Kiah is not Stef however I believe she will do fine in replacing Stef. Saniya and the freshman class will be fine filling in where Bria left off. The team will depend more on Breanna and KML this season when times get tuff. Saniyas ability to knock down a high percentage of her foul shots and not make turnovers will be keep in big games.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
66kick:
<<...think about Geno ... (continuing) to press them full court when it's 62-9 to begin the 2nd half. How does he justify that?>>

"Their only Fresh(wo)men & don't know how to count, yet."
This may be the year that UConn unveils its secret "Eddie Feigner- King & His Court" defense.
One by one, the team peels off and sit in the center-jump circle.... until only the MoJet is left... to surround/herd the opponents on defense & run her famous one on five fast break.
[We need to get to get Calvin Murphy on staff to teach MsJet the legendary 5'-8" two hand stuff (Norwalk High/Niagara U)]

I've been saying it for sometime, Mo really leaps…that high? maybe.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
To paraphrase one of the Houston Chronicle sportswriters, referring to the great Calvin Murphy; "MoJet is actually 6'!"; it is just that her mainspring is wound so tight that decreases her apparent height."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom