FSU trustees express concern about ACC's status | The Boneyard

FSU trustees express concern about ACC's status

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I deleted the post you quoted. I found it has nothing to do with us. I had to copy and paste the link and search on google. It's about the strength of football in-conference. They want 8 teams in the playoffs to make it more accessible to the ACC given the "weak" status of ACC football.

It's a ri va ls site. You have to copy and paste.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I deleted the post you quoted. I found it has nothing to do with is. I had to copy and paste the link and search on google. It's about the strength of football in-conference. They want 8 teams in the playoffs to make it more accessible to the ACC given the "weak" status of ACC football.

It's a ri va ls site. You have to copy and paste.
Thanks Butch...no one outside Cuse would i more like to see unhappy than the Noles for their role in the last round of CR.

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
FSU was merely expressing concerns that if UConn had joined the ACC, Winston would have been guilty of stealing lobster tails instead of crab legs.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Here's a CBS version of the same story...

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...ned-with-accs-place-among-power-5-conferences

Their concern: that a 1-loss ACC champion would be shut out of the Top 4 Playoff. They're right. Had FSU lost at any point last year, they would have fallen out of it (UConn can't help here). They also are grumbling at the lack of movement towards an ACCN (UConn certainly can help here).

Reaction Score
FSU should move to the Big 12. That would be a win/win. It would be hilarious if that happened.

Reaction Score
From Warchant:

But judging by comments at the most recent FSU Board of Trustees meeting, some old concerns could be creeping up again.

After Wilcox made his regularly scheduled presentation and opened the floor for questions during the board's March meeting, Trustees Joe Gruters and Edward Burr both hit him with suggestions or comments that called into question the ACC's status among college football's Power Five conferences.

First, Gruters complained about the way the College Football Playoff committee seemed to dismiss FSU's conference victories last season and said he has serious doubts about ACC teams earning playoff bids in the future.

"I think the perceived bias of the ACC in general, [with] Florida State falling to No. 4 in the rankings and still being undefeated and being [No.] 3 at the end of the season … a one-loss ACC team or two-loss ACC team is going to have a hard time breaking that top four," Gruters said. "I think the top ACC team over the next four or five years, we're going to be in that [No.] 5 to 8 category. And we're going to be on the outside looking in."

Gruters then urged Wilcox to encourage the ACC to push for an expansion of the new playoff system - from four to eight teams. He said that was the only way, "to guarantee an ACC team will have a shot at winning the national championship each year."

A few minutes later, after the discussion turned to finances, Burr raised a topic that he described as the "800-pound gorilla" in the room - conference television networks and the money they can generate for member institutions.

"All of the Big Five is going to have one except for us if we don't get something moving soon," Burr said. "And that's a major revenue source."

The Big Ten and Pac-12 both had cable channels up and running when the ACC signed its Grant of Rights, and the SEC Network went live last summer. That leaves the ACC and Big 12 as the only Power Five conferences without one … and the millions of dollars they can generate for each school each year.

The ACC never projected it would have a cable channel in place by now - the earliest goals mentioned by conference athletic directors and presidents have been 2016 or 2017 - but Burr said he would like to see signs of tangible progress. He reminded the other trustees that the channel's viability was one of the reasons FSU agreed to the Grant of Rights. Before that agreement was approved, Swofford traveled to Tallahassee and met individually with each trustee to offer them assurances about the conference's future.

There was "a big commitment from the conference to this university a few years ago on that issue. I'm sure no one's forgotten," Burr said.

Burr, reached later at his Jacksonville office, told Warchant that he and the other trustees aren't necessarily alarmed about the lack of a cable channel. But he added that he wants to make sure FSU doesn't "get left behind" while schools in other conferences are clearing more revenue, which can be used for facilities and other improvements.

Reaction Score
FSU has the same issue today that it had during the last go round of CR. They don't have anywhere to go.

They don't fit into the B1G. The SEC is not taking them as long as Florida has a vote. Going to the B12 is a lateral move because the B12 is not getting their own network as long as Texas holds onto the LHN.

Maybe Aresco can reach out & see if they'd be interested in joining the AAC..... :D

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
If the ACC wants an ACCN, it would be much easier to launch with UConn in the fold. Expanding from 4 to 8 playoff teams seems to make the most sense. If that happens, adding UConn wouldn't dilute the product much like the bottom feeders (Syracuse, Wake, etc) diluted FSU's 2014 season.

Buuuuut we all know that there are way too many nervous nelly privates in the ACC's northeast that cringe at the thought of UConn playing against them on a level playing field. Same ol' same ol'.

B1G or bust.

Reaction Score
Isn't the B1G a done deal? Someone was told in confidence over a game of corn hole at the Spring game.

In all seriousness, either would be good. The B1G would be better in the sense that there would be no games as big in football as bringing in UM, OSU, Penn St or Nebraska. Clemson, FSU would be big and obviously ND, but the big B1G games would be huge events.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
As this thread indicates the ACC is a volatile conference. They inherited the Big East mix of privates and publics along with ND and they have the worst TV deal of the P5. I'd prefer to go to the Big Ten since it is a financially secure group of like-minded institutions. That said, I'm still grabbing the first bus out of town.

Reaction Score
FSU should move to the Big 12. That would be a win/win. It would be hilarious if that happened.

On the surface that might seem ideal as Swofford and some of our ex conference mates would be eating $#it but that would likely leave us in a watered down ACC which is better than our current situation but still no Bueno.

justinslot

Boneyard Rutgers/Temple lurker
Reaction Score
Do they think they can shake down Disney for more cash with this strategy since it worked last time? Or force them to create another unprofitable network (joining the LHN.)

Reaction Score
CL82 said "That said, I'm still grabbing the first bus out of town."

LMAO

pnow15

Previously pnete
Reaction Score
ACC should have had a league that extended from Boston to Miami, but it drank the Notre Dame koolaide and smelled two much L'ville horse crap. They let New Jersey and Maryland slip to the B1G and lost much of the market place from NY to Washington. And if Virginia and UConn join B1G the ACC is a nothing but a poor southern league with a lot of mediocre outliers and one Jezebel.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Florida State is just going to have to lump it.

Geography will keep them out of the SEC and academics will keep them out of the Big 10.

Despite the PowerPoint that Swofford fed to the schools prior to the GOR, there's no reason to be optimistic about an ACC Network's prospects - there's no content available and if there was, there's just no place to sell it.

The only market that the ACC "owns" is Carolina and Virginia - they're a sideshow in Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and ten blocks of downtown Louisville and they're marginally represented in the vast stretch of humanity between the Virginia border and the Applebee's in Cleveland Circle.

If Florida State didn't see this coming, good lord.

Reaction Score
The Gators being in a tailspin, and the ACC being relatively weak is hurting FSU's schedule, but hey FSU, if you're that concerned about SOS then don't load your 2015 schedule with both Texas State and Chattanooga. If the Gators and Bulls are down again, and the ACC is its usual self, you may go 13-0 and still get jumped by a 1 loss SEC, B12, or B1G team to miss out on a 4 team playoff.

Reaction Score
If anything, a weak ACC helped FSU this past season. They scraped by too many weak opponents, and were able to stay undefeated. If they had the competition they claim they want, they probably lose 3 games. They would not have been considered for the CFP. As it was, I don't believe they deserved to be in the CFP. If they play like they did the previous year, FSU will make the CFP no matter what conference they are in.

As for the ACCN, it seems that the ACC needs UConn to have a decent chance of getting the network off the ground. So there is the irony of FSU's choice of Louisville having delayed the launch of the ACCN. I just hope that the ACC's loss will be the Big Ten's gain, sooner rather than later.

Reaction Score
The Gators being in a tailspin, and the ACC being relatively weak is hurting FSU's schedule, but hey FSU, if you're that concerned about SOS then don't load your 2015 schedule with both Texas State and Chattanooga. If the Gators and Bulls are down again, and the ACC is its usual self, you may go 13-0 and still get jumped by a 1 loss SEC, B12, or B1G team to miss out on a 4 team playoff.

FSU opening 2016 with Ole Miss...and Alabama in 2017. Had Auburn on the line as well but the War Eagles backed out during negotiations. Playing home and home with Boise State 2018-19..(and there is the Gators every year..and Notre Dame in 2018).

Reaction Score
FSU opening 2016 with Ole Miss...and Alabama in 2017. Had Auburn on the line as well but the War Eagles backed out during negotiations. Playing home and home with Boise State 2018-19..(and there is the Gators every year..and Notre Dame in 2018).
That's great..... Still, they can't complain about SoS when they're scheduling a newly upgraded TSU and FCS Chatt. in the same season. Its not the first time either, not too many years ago they had 2 FCS teams on the docket. FSU has the juice where they could have done better than that. I get wanting to have the 7 home games, but SoS is going to be the price you pay. You can get away with it if you're in the SEC b/c you'll more than make up for it in conference. Not so much in the ACC. Sounds like they want their cake and to eat it to.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom