From CBSSports: Ollie's recruiting | The Boneyard

From CBSSports: Ollie's recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
" Kevin Ollie has UConn in position to put together a dynamite 2015 class Look at what Kevin Ollie has done already. The Huskies have commitments from two top-100 prospects in talented guard Jalen Adams as well as power forward Steven Enoch and they're in position to land a few more. UConn is still very much in the mix for two top-15 players in 6-foot-10 big man Diamond Stone and talented combo guard Isaiah Briscoe, as well as Philadelphia native Derrick Jones, a lanky 6-6 wing that is dynamite in the open floor. Many wondered how the Huskies would recruit post-Jim Calhoun in the American Conference but Ollie has answered the bell with flying colors."

Doesn't mention Newman. Maybe we don't have much of a chance with him?

Reaction Score
At this point, I would be surprised if UConn got Newman, but not because of that article.

It's doubtful that CBS has any sort of inside scoop.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
" Kevin Ollie has UConn in position to put together a dynamite 2015 class Look at what Kevin Ollie has done already. The Huskies have commitments from two top-100 prospects in talented guard Jalen Adams as well as power forward Steven Enoch and they're in position to land a few more. UConn is still very much in the mix for two top-15 players in 6-foot-10 big man Diamond Stone and talented combo guard Isaiah Briscoe, as well as Philadelphia native Derrick Jones, a lanky 6-6 wing that is dynamite in the open floor. Many wondered how the Huskies would recruit post-Jim Calhoun in the American Conference but Ollie has answered the bell with flying colors."

Doesn't mention Newman. Maybe we don't have much of a chance with him?
I'd be happy adding Stone, Briscoe and Jones. That would be just fine. Let's get this done, Kevin.

caw

Reaction Score
Honestly if Stone signs with Adams and Enoch, I would be OK with any one of Clarke/Briscoe/Newman/Jones/Mack. If someone leaves early after winning #5 this coming year, maybe bank a scholarship for '16 class.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I like Jon Rothstein - he was reliable as all hell when he wrote for Husky Blue and White and he works really, really hard. He's a little overly cheerleaderish at times, but still, good guy.

But holy f---, he needs to be drug tested.

Does he think he's going out on some sort of shaky limb when he says that the ACC can become a six-bid league? If the ACC doesn't get six bids a year, they should start shooting the coaches. The old Big East would have cancelled Christmas if they ever received just six bids.

As for the recruiting stuff, Ollie needs to land one more and then I'll start cheerleading, too.

Reaction Score
Ollie is up against the idiocy of college basketball.

People can't see what is plainly obvious right in front of their faces. It was obvious that this guy was a star coach when he signed on 2 years ago. It was obvious he is great at developing players and coaching games. He has great connections, too.

And no, I'm not saying he should be grabbing all the stars, but let's face it, those who advised Prince Ali, Terry Larrier, Jesse Govan and Abdul Abu don't know a basketball from an acorn.

As for Diamond Stone, this doesn't apply. Wisconsin seems to me an equally good choice as UConn for him in particular.

arch

Reaction Score
HB&W and Big East Briefs were the only place to find recruiting info. It was old news by the time it came in the mail, but it was all there was in the early/mid '90's.
JI was a reliable and more timely source if you could get it but agree that those periodicals were very welcome, at least until the 'yard came along and replaced everything else.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
At this point, I would be surprised if UConn got Newman, but not because of that article.

It's doubtful that CBS has any sort of inside scoop.
FWIW ESPN doesn't have us on his list either.

Reaction Score
I'm still pissed that I didn't "find" the 'Yard until the summer of 1999....would have loved to have been part of the crazyness during 77-74.
Am I crazy or did I find the yard in the early 90s? I rember using prodigy for dial in access.

Reaction Score
HB&W and Big East Briefs were the only place to find recruiting info. It was old news by the time it came in the mail, but it was all there was in the early/mid '90's.
Also remember Eastern Basketball and Basketball Times?

Reaction Score
Yes. Pre-historic times.

I subscribed to both Husky Blue & White and Big East Briefs. LOVED them at the time. I also dialed up (and wasted money) on 900 numbers listening to the latest whispers. Dave Silverman? (or Soloman?) I think he was the owner of HB&W and I knew that was a very valiant effort as I met him at games; he showed me how hard Hard Publishing was before the Internet. God Bless the effort.

Hard to believe where we've come from. Both as fans ... and as a Program.

Reaction Score
Yes. Pre-historic times.

I subscribed to both Husky Blue & White and Big East Briefs. LOVED them at the time. I also dialed up (and wasted money) on 900 numbers listening to the latest whispers. Dave Silverman? (or Soloman?) I think he was the owner of HB&W and I knew that was a very valiant effort as I met him at games; he showed me how hard Hard Publishing was before the Internet. God Bless the effort.

Hard to believe where we've come from. Both as fans ... and as a Program.

very true Pudge. I would add for college hoops in general (not UCONN-specific), Off the Glass from the mid-80's which included prominent CT AAU coach Wayne Simone as a founder. The magazine was quite lengthy although with the publication lead time required the news was about a month old when the latest issue arrived in the mail. Hoops Weiss and Dave Krider were among the featured writers.

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Ollie is up against the idiocy of college basketball.

People can't see what is plainly obvious right in front of their faces. It was obvious that this guy was a star coach when he signed on 2 years ago. It was obvious he is great at developing players and coaching games. He has great connections, too.

And no, I'm not saying he should be grabbing all the stars, but let's face it, those who advised Prince Ali, Terry Larrier, Jesse Govan and Abdul Abu don't know a basketball from an acorn.

I don't think they necessarily did Prince Ali wrong. If no one leaves, he was facing a huge uphill climb for PT. And UCLA is nothing to sniff at.

Reaction Score
I don't think they necessarily did Prince Ali wrong. If no one leaves, he was facing a huge uphill climb for PT. And UCLA is nothing to sniff at.

UCLA has a lot of combo/SFs, more than UConn.

Reaction Score
I like Jon Rothstein - he was reliable as all hell when he wrote for Husky Blue and White and he works really, really hard. He's a little overly cheerleaderish at times, but still, good guy.

But holy f---, he needs to be drug tested.

Does he think he's going out on some sort of shaky limb when he says that the ACC can become a six-bid league? If the ACC doesn't get six bids a year, they should start shooting the coaches. The old Big East would have cancelled Christmas if they ever received just six bids.

As for the recruiting stuff, Ollie needs to land one more and then I'll start cheerleading, too.
It's pathetic but the ACC never gets 6 bids.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
UCLA has a lot of combo/SFs, more than UConn.

Are they as good as ours? Hamilton, Purvis, Calhoun, Jalen Adams, Cassell, Samuel and maybe Clarke/Jones (whose recruitment likely spooked Ali).

Some of those guys aren't technically SFs, but will very much see time on the floor in a 3 guard lineup. Too much size not to.

Reaction Score
Are they as good as ours? Hamilton, Purvis, Calhoun, Jalen Adams, Cassell, Samuel and maybe Clarke/Jones (whose recruitment likely spooked Ali).

Some of those guys aren't technically SFs, but will very much see time on the floor in a 3 guard lineup. Too much size not to.

Isaac Hamilton is like his brother at UConn, Noah Allen and Bryce Alford are 2s as well, probably on the Cassell and Samuel level, and then there are the two other commits Aaron Holiday at 6'2" and Lonzo Ball at 6'5". All in all, they seem to have 6 players for 3 positions next year including Ali.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom