From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD | Page 5 | The Boneyard

From Blauds: Michigan closing in on Manuel as AD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This kid covers UM Athletics for MaizenBrew...tweet was from last night
Alejandro Zúñiga ‏@ByAZuniga 11h11 hours agoYpsilanti, MI
Similar to @blauds' report from earlier: I've heard Warde Manuel has expressed significant interest to become Michigan's Athletic Director.
If by "expressed significant interest" he is referring to Manuel doing his best Ray Allen high stepping imitation, I suppose he heard correctly. Of course he is interested.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is a basketball website. It is about winning basketball games.
Did I miss something?? I know I'm the minority but I actually came to this site to discuss football. Shockingly I found a WHOLE board just about the UConn FOOTBALL team!!! Crazy how I found that on a basketball site! :eek:

Reaction Score
Warde expressing significant interest is far different than him being the leading candidate in UM's mind. Of course he would express significant interest, it's one of the best AD jobs in the country and it's his alma mater.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Are we in the ACC? Are we in the BiG?

Louisville is in the ACC.
Rutgers is in the B1G.

This is a sports site. What relevance does anything else she does good or bad matter if she can not deliver UConn to a good league. This is a sports site.
If UConn doesn't get into a real league, this board will disappear, Ollie will move on and I guess you guys can watch home videos of the Herbst family reunions.

wow. thought the first post was a joke but I guess not...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Are people this delusional?
This is a basketball website. It is about winning basketball games.
The UConn basketball program belongs to a lousy league.
If Kevin Ollie leaves the team at the end of the year, it doesn't matter how much tax payer money is spent on other facets of the university. We will lose basketball games. Our program will fall back to mediocre.
How many people in the state follow YALE basketball? Should we stop cheering for UConn and cheer for Yale because they have better academics.
Does anyone imagine that the UConn team is loaded with Rhodes Scholars.
Our football program is poor
If we had a top 25 football team with 50,000 season ticket holders we would be in the B1G.
We would be in the ACC.
The only reason people are on this website is because Jim Calhoun turned a mediocre program into a national program.
If Herbst fails to get us into a league that allows this program to flourish, she has failed the basketball fans. Period. Stop. Finish.
This is about winning basketball games.

Since you seem sincere, I will ask you a question: What does this website/forum (which is devoted to UConn athletics mostly...and pizza and beer) have to do with Susan Herbst's job?

Answer: nearly nothing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Warde expressing significant interest is far different than him being the leading candidate in UM's mind. Of course he would express significant interest, it's one of the best AD jobs in the country and it's his alma mater.

Yes. He is obviously a candidate as well. Whether he gets the job...seems an open question still.

As for good or bad...really depends on his replacement. I think it helps our image if he gets the Michigan job, maybe gives us an advocate there. But we really need a strong AD to replace him...one with lots of P5 connections and respect.

Reaction Score
Susan Herbst is bright and strategic. This is not something that will blind side her. I would be shocked if she has not already started to develop her own short list in the event that Warde gets this job. What I find intriguing is that she obviously knows more than anyone on this board where we may have a shot and where we have no hope. She cannot have perfect information, but I would hope if Warde leaves, she plays the odds and seeks a replacement that has connections to the conference she believes is our best shot. I realize the Presidents make the decisions, but the ADs can have a ton of influence.

Reaction Score
Yes. He is obviously a candidate as well. Whether he gets the job...seems an open question still.

As for good or bad...really depends on his replacement. I think it helps our image if he gets the Michigan job, maybe gives us an advocate there. But we really need a strong AD to replace him...one with lots of P5 connections and respect.
I agree, if there's a strong candidate available to replace him, it could end up being a great opportunity for UConn. Makes our program look more attractive and gives us a big advocate at arguably the most influential B1G school.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Can I get help here? Was that the most idiotic post in Boneyard history, the most assinine or both?
You have to consider the source, no?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If Warde would make a difference in conference realignment, we would already be in another conference. The one time we needed him to step up, he got badly outplayed. I don't think it matters either way for the Big 12 or any other P5 league if Manuel stays or goes, and I think it is better than 50/50 that the next AD is an improvement.

Reaction Score
Cliffy and I go way back too. I lived in the Jungle as a frosh/soph and Cliffy was seeing a girl who lived in the dorm. Our floor had a big lounge and he would come around before she returned from class and hang out. I was often around in the afternoon and would chat with him. Saw him many years later (after he retired from NBA) at MSG for BET and I was in line for beverages with him. Asked him if he remembered me. He said he remembered coming up there. Such a nice guy.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Dooley, me and Cliffy go way back. He used to get in the back of my Honda civic on our way into Hartford to get our haircut among other things.
Did your civic lack a front passenger seat?

Reaction Score
Did your civic lack a front passenger seat?[/QUOT
]
His knees were right next to my ears. You remember the hatchback civics? So my dad comes up. I played football, says damn these guys are huge gives me his Pontiac Bonneville drives back to LaGrange Ny in my Civic.

Reaction Score
If Warde would make a difference in conference realignment, we would already be in another conference. The one time we needed him to step up, he got badly outplayed. I don't think it matters either way for the Big 12 or any other P5 league if Manuel stays or goes, and I think it is better than 50/50 that the next AD is an improvement.
Hahahahaha

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Is anyone else reporting this other than Blauds?

He hasn't exactly been on the ball for a couple of years now.
The courant has picked up Blauds report and they noted that "a source has confirmed with the courant that Manuel interviewed this week."

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
If UConn does manage to get invited to a P5 league, it will be due - in part - to his accomplishments here, not despite them.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
If UConn does manage to get invited to a P5 league, it will be due - in part - to his accomplishments here, not despite them.

Like the accomplishment of keeping Pasqualoni a year past his sell-by date? Or how about the accomplishment of hiring a new football coach that was clearly not ready to be head coach and was a train wreck in his first year and probably cost us 2-3 games his second year with bonehead mistakes? Diaco may turn out decent, but we wasted 2 years before we will have any idea.

How about the accomplishment of not giving Ollie a permanent contract, thereby flushing 2 recruiting classes down the drain instead of just 1? If you want to know why the basketball team's offense looks like they all just met each other, it is because they have. We were lucky to find Gibbs and Miller or the team would be on track to a 12 win season this year, in a large part because of Warde.

How about the accomplishment of getting his ass handed to him by Jurich when our ACC invitation was in the bag? If you had asked AD's around the country if a 3 time national champion that was only 2 years removed from a Fiesta Bowl would get beat out for the last ACC spot by a community college, what do you think they would have said?

That is a hell of a list of accomplishments.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Like the accomplishment of keeping Pasqualoni a year past his sell-by date? Or how about the accomplishment of hiring a new football coach that was clearly not ready to be head coach and was a train wreck in his first year and probably cost us 2-3 games his second year with bonehead mistakes? Diaco may turn out decent, but we wasted 2 years before we will have any idea.

How about the accomplishment of not giving Ollie a permanent contract, thereby flushing 2 recruiting classes down the drain instead of just 1? If you want to know why the basketball team's offense looks like they all just met each other, it is because they have. We were lucky to find Gibbs and Miller or the team would be on track to a 12 win season this year, in a large part because of Warde.

How about the accomplishment of getting his ass handed to him by Jurich when our ACC invitation was in the bag? If you had asked AD's around the country if a 3 time national champion that was only 2 years removed from a Fiesta Bowl would get beat out for the last ACC spot by a community college, what do you think they would have said?

Remind me to never hire you as as my stockbroker or to run a search committee.

Reaction Score

Ahhhh the old Nelson is back...I see you found a corner deli that sells some GREAT K-2/Spice and you bought the mother load. Just remember to smoke it sparingly...although if you smoked it all at once you really can't get much more delusional than you already are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Baller29

Top Bottom