Not open for further replies.

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Tantamount to indentured servitude...

JS

Reaction Score
Ooooookay, they have the sites on approval status. Let's try something else:

John Currie's email address kstatead@kstatesports.com (Athletic Director)
Pat Bosco's email address bosco@k-state.edu (on committee that made decision not to allow transfer)
Kirk Shultz's email address kirks@k-state.edu (KState President)
One possible misperception: the committee didn't make the decision. Currie did, and the committee simply declined to overrule him. Currie himself seems confused on this point and to think (or claim to think) the committee has the last word.

He's the key figure here, and I've emailed him that he apparently fails to appreciate his own authority to end this. Leti's attorney has said Currie could end it in five minutes, the time it takes to write a letter of release. Based on my experience in administrative law and appeals of administrative decisions, I agree.

To elaborate:

Bosco's (anonymous except for him) committee handles appeals from the AD's decision. The committee's decision on appeal is said to be final and binding (it really isn't) but that only means binding on people asking the designated authority to overturn Currie's original decision.

If the committee declines to overturn that original decision, it doesn't mean Currie is no longer free to reverse it himself. The decision to grant a release always resides with the AD. The committee can never forbid him from doing so; all it can do is review and possibly reverse (or not) his decision to deny.

So Currie's ("stolen") letter to the committee urging them to reverse their upholding of his original decision, effectively saying they should now overrule him (or his prior self) based on new evidence, is nonsensical if not a deliberate exercise in buck-passing and obfuscation.

For those unfamiliar with this controversy who have the interest, the other thread can give you some background. Suffice it to say that KSU's handling of the whole matter from beginning to end has been a fiasco that's generating a firestorm of criticism.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Great idea, Nan. Seems to me that it is important to spread the word to others you know at other schools who would be willing to join the effort. These people at KSU seem to be both stupid and stubborn, but if they get enough communications from enough places, there is a good chance that they will crack. Especially if the volume of communications keeps growing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
One possible misperception: the committee didn't make the decision. Currie did, and the committee simply declined to overrule him. Currie himself seems confused on this point and to think (or claim to think) the committee has the last word.

He's the key figure here, and I've emailed him that he apparently fails to appreciate his own authority to end this. Leti's attorney has said Currie could end it in five minutes, the time it takes to write a letter of release. Based on my experience in administrative law and appeals of administrative decisions, I agree.

To elaborate:

Bosco's (anonymous except for him) committee handles appeals from the AD's decision. The committee's decision on appeal is said to be final and binding (it really isn't) but that only means binding on people asking the designated authority to overturn Currie's original decision.

If the committee declines to overturn that original decision, it doesn't mean Currie is no longer free to reverse it himself. The decision to grant a release always resides with the AD. The committee can never forbid him from doing so; all it can do is review and possibly reverse (or not) his decision to deny.

So Currie's ("stolen") letter to the committee urging them to reverse their upholding of his original decision, effectively saying they should now overrule him (or his prior self) based on new evidence, is nonsensical if not a deliberate exercise in buck-passing and obfuscation.

For those unfamiliar with this controversy who have the interest, the other thread can give you some background. Suffice it to say that KSU's handling of the whole matter from beginning to end has been a fiasco that's generating a firestorm of criticism.
Sounds correct to me, but I'm not a lawyer.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
So was she speaking to other coaches (or their representatives) before she applied for her release?

JS

Reaction Score
So was she speaking to other coaches (or their representatives) before she applied for her release?
Can't prove a negative, but no one has publicly alleged that she did. And she has indicated she hasn't:

I can't even contact schools, it's frustrating with how my situation is now as I'm about to leave for Spain, I would like to know what I'm going to before leaving. ( From Swish Appeal interview)​

Based on certain of your posts in the other thread, one can't help wondering if this is just your way of suggesting we don't have enough facts to take up Leti's cause -- that maybe she's at fault in some way. However, be your question sincere or rhetorical, here's a summary of what's been reported.

One of Ms. Romero's complaints -- a big one -- is that she was never given any reason for the denial of her application. However, leaked info suggests the following:

KSU's relations with the fired coaching staff were tense, and one media account characterizes Leti as the unfortunate rope in a tug o' war between the parties.

Currie originally thought, among other nefarious things the departing coaches might be doing, that they might be tampering -- i.e. implying to other schools with whom they sought employment that they could bring Ms. Romero with them. This was the apparent basis for his original denial.

Then three things happened.

First, Ms. Romero unsuccessfully appealed to the committee. Second, the former coaches landed en masse at a school that wasn't even on Ms. Romero's previously submitted transfer approval list. And third, Currie finally got around to interviewing Ms. Romero herself on the subject he'd already ruled on.

Following which he evidently concluded his suspicion of tampering had been unfounded, as he wrote a letter to the committee suggesting, based on new evidence, that they reverse their decision upholding his original transfer denial. (KSU has sought unsuccessfully to suppress this "stolen" letter.)

The only school on Ms. Romero's list thus far to emerge in this saga is Middle TN State. They played it straight, asked to speak with her, received permission from KSU, then received an attempted retraction of that permission based on a claim of "clerical error." (I said this was a fiasco, did I not?)

MTSU then asked the NCAA, which reportedly said the permission couldn't be retracted -- as in a card laid is a card played, and the student athlete shouldn't be jerked around in that manner. Which is, in the overall context, putting it mildly.

And that's where it stands at the moment.

Reaction Score
Ooooookay, they have the sites on approval status. Let's try something else:

John Currie's email address kstatead@kstatesports.com (Athletic Director)
Pat Bosco's email address bosco@k-state.edu (on committee that made decision not to allow transfer)
Kirk Shultz's email address kirks@k-state.edu (KState President)

My email:
You are known by your actions individually, as a program or as an institution. If you act petty and treat your people with a lack of integrity then those will be the characteristics of the recruits your program will attract. If you act with a lack of class then your program will never be anything more than second class. Do the right thing....RELEASE LETICIA ROMERO UNCONDITIONALLY!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I have just sent the following e-mails to John Currie, Pat Bosco, and Kirk Shultz,:

To: John Currie, Athletic Director Kansas State University
Pat Bosco, University Policy Committee
Kirk Shultz, University President

As a huge WBB fan, both College and WNBA levels, I have been appalled at the lack of humanity the Kansas State Academic and Athletic Departments have shown Leticia Romero, in her battle to get her simple right to transfer to a University of her choice!
The horror story of Ms. Romero being held hostage by your University has gone viral! The WBB world has hopefully organized to get the word out to ALL potential Kansas State recruits in ALL sports, not just WBB, from going to Kansas State, thus leading to the destruction of the University's Athletic Department!
How can you call yourselves "educators"? What can possibly be gained by your heartless actions and policies?
Have you not gotten the word that SLAVERY has been banned in the USA since the mid 1800's?
I hope you all wake up and come to your senses and allow Leticia Romero her transfer papers without any restrictions!

Yours for WBB,
Rick Sherman
New London, CT

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Great! Keep it up. I just emailed them all again. I wonder if these clowns realize that it is not only the reputation of KSU that is going to suffer, but this is going to haunt their professional careers. From now on they will be known as the people who pulled that incredibly mean and obtuse trick on a teenage girl. I remind them of that in every email I send them. I doubt that they actually read any of them, but maybe some of their staff read an occasional one.

Last edited:

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't know about Twitter, Pinterest or Instagram, but I just got a comment posted to the KSU facebook account in the Women's Basketball section. Whether or not it will stay there is another matter. 12:15 Eastern time, Sunday May 25. Keep after them.

Oops, my bad. It now says "unable to post comment". Back to the emails.

Reaction Score
I sent the following to Schultz yesterday:

Dear President Schultz,

I have no interest in your school and its policies beyond the way they affect all of women's college basketball, which they now are doing. Your position in the matter of Leticia Romero is appalling and will be a black mark on the entire sport for years to come. The alleged leaders of your athletic department should be ashamed of themselves. I have no doubt that your competitors will use this fiasco against you in future recruiting. I hope they are successful, because no student-athlete should be subjected to these idiotic departmental policies, apparently made up as you go along. You need to weigh the value of adhering to some inarticulately described principle against your apparent desire to deny a student-athlete the opportunity to play under a scholarship where she wants to play.

I am dead certain this will mean nothing to you, but please know that I will do everything in my power to tell this story far and wide to anyone who has not yet heard it.

Sincerely,

Reaction Score
KState just released their former starting quarterback from his scholarship. His name is Sams. I guess their policy of releasing a student "Except for the most compelling of circumstances, which place an undue burden on the student athlete, it is the policy of the department of intercollegiate athletics not to grant a release for purposes of a transfer or provide the one-time transfer exception (NCAA Bylaw 14.5.5.2.10)." This player lost his starting position so he changed to another position and couldn't start their. Now he wants to go to a team where he might start I guess not being good enough to start qualifies for a "most compelling circumstance." Talk about a double standard. Now I have two favorite teams. UCONN and whoever is playing Kansas State in any sport.

JS

Reaction Score
They released her.
And with that happy ending we'll unpin the thread.

Not to get drunk on our own power, or illusions thereof, but a good effort by
the Boneyarder advocates as part of the larger delivery of loving advice to
the K-State administrators.

Reaction Score
I don't doubt that it probably helped a lot.

I can never say for sure but I have been a part of a couple of things like this where they seem to have influenced positive results.

Reaction Score
Remember, if the BONEYARD sent e-mails and hundreds of other Message Boards sent some and all the individuals appalled by the situation they must have gotten many hundreds of notices! Jay Bilas was asking his fans to write K-State also!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I'm betting it was in the millions. Seems to have got their attention, along with the Atty. and the media spankings. Still impossible for me to understand
what they may have thought they were going to gain by all this. And that "new evidence" dodge is a real howler. The "new evidence" seems to be that they finally deigned to actually talk with Ms. Romero in person and accepted what she told them as true. That was not new evidence of anything other than that Currie had finally come to realize just what an incredible PR tsunami he had unleashed and that it had to somehow be stopped.

Hopefully we will get a set of NCAA "Romero Rules" out of all of this. My guess is that the NCAA is running pretty scared right about now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom