Frankly speaking..... | The Boneyard

Frankly speaking.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
....I'm sick of all this Kumbaya, kudos to Stanford b.s. The object of the game is TO WIN. This isn't T-Ball for 5 year olds. We lost because key players failed to show up, we made horrendous decisions at critical moments, and the coaching staff failed to communicate and/or devise a strategy to offset what the opponent was doing.

I am not happy because this was a game we never should have lost.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
While I agree with some of what you said, it's also part of being a gracious loser. UCONN has beaten the snot out of so many other teams - and as fans, of course we want to win every single game. I am not happy either but the best we can hope for is the coaches and team to learn from it, and get 'em next time.

And really, I think congratulating Stanford for a win that most expected to be a 15-20 point loss, is just classy... :)

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
As someone said, Show me a gracious loser and I'll show you a loser.

It's one thing to be 'gracious loser' when you get beat by a clearly superior team. When you just give it away it is something totally different. JMO.

Reaction Score
Pap, I agree you your comments and we lost missing to many FT, dum fouls and poor help defense...........How many lay ups did we miss?..........But, Its all fixible and Geno will get this team right very fast.........

Reaction Score
This is just one game. I have no doubt by end of the season, we will be the BEST team in the country. Good for Stanford and our budding rivalry they won this game. However, we are the better team and we will still be the better team by end of the year. I am pretty confident about that after watching last night's game in person.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Bull patties.

Being gracious after a loss has nothing to do with why you lost. Give credit where credit is due, kick tail where tail deserves to be kicked.

Personally, show me someone who can't be a gracious loser and I'll show you a real loser.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Pap, I agree you your comments and we lost missing to many FT, dum fouls and poor help defense......How many lay ups did we miss?.....But, Its all fixible and Geno will get this team right very fast....
I agree it is fixable but bowing down to Stanford simply because they won is b.s. IMO.

Do any of you really think Geno and CD are 'gracious losers'.? I'd be willing to bet they are so p!ssed off they can't see straight.

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Don't agree completely, Pap. Yes, the objective is to win .. but, with a non-conference game in mid-November, not the absolute objective. Even the final game in March isn't the absolute objective, but, certainly closer than this game was. I'm not trying to Polyanna the UConn flaws exposed last night - I was as appalled as anybody at the porous defense, the poor recognition, the confusion, the unforced errors. But, last night's game wasn't an "all-in" moment - it was losing a pot, albeit a big one, early in the poker game.

Not trying to excuse, nor "blue sky" what was an ugly performance by UConn, individually and collectively - but, this is a long fight, a long campaign, and it should be no more than a memory by February and March.

Reaction Score
....I'm sick of all this Kumbaya, kudos to Stanford b.s. The object of the game is TO WIN. This isn't T-Ball for 5 year olds. We lost because key players failed to show up, we made horrendous decisions at critical moments, and the coaching staff failed to communicate and/or devise a strategy to offset what the opponent was doing.

I like your post.... yes the object IS to win...... but in the grand scheme of everything, I disagree with the "win at all costs" thing in this part of the season...... tonight in the men's game Kansas is versus Kentucky...... KY is as prohibitive a favorite as we were last night.... but I think similarly..... if KY loses ..... who cares? they can get the wrinkles out by March..... the objective is to have your team like a finely oiled machine at the right moment

Reaction Score
Pap, I agree you your comments and we lost missing to many FT, dum fouls and poor help defense......How many lay ups did we miss?.....But, Its all fixible and Geno will get this team right very fast....

I saw that Stanford was about the same as we were in free throw %..... but help DF wow yes, and the layups..... wow again..... got to finish the gimmes.......

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Don't agree completely, Pap. Yes, the objective is to win .. but, with a non-conference game in mid-November, not the absolute objective. Even the final game in March isn't the absolute objective, but, certainly closer than this game was. I'm not trying to Polyanna the UConn flaws exposed last night - I was as appalled as anybody at the porous defense, the poor recognition, the confusion, the unforced errors. But, last night's game wasn't an "all-in" moment - it was losing a pot, albeit a big one, early in the poker game.

Not trying to excuse, nor "blue sky" what was an ugly performance by UConn, individually and collectively - but, this is a long fight, a long campaign, and it should be no more than a memory by February and March.
Except it COULD have implications in terms of RPI and the team's seeding come tournament time. If we end up seeded a #2 because of this loss are you going to be okay with that?

RadyLady

The Glass is Half Full
Reaction Score
Except it COULD have implications in terms of RPI and the team's seeding come tournament time. If we end up seeded a #2 because of this loss are you going to be okay with that?

If we beat ND and SC and do not lose any more games, there is no way that we would not be a #1 seed. Would we be THE #1 seed? That remains to be seen. There are so many variables, and too much time in the interim. Seriously, it is way too early to be getting anxious about that. UConn has more bad games against good competition...different story.

Just sayin'

Reaction Score
If Stanford wins out and UCONN does too, UCONN won't be a #2 seed. And if Stanford loses a game and UCONN doesn't, UCONN will be seeded over Stanford. And how many other potential #1 seeds are there this season, really? If UCONN ends up a #2 seed it won't be the best #1 seed. If you really are the best, then you can win the National Championship from a #2 seeding. I've done it twice!

Reaction Score
If that was directed to me I have no idea what you're talking about.

Such hostility. I doubt that very few if any UConn fans are happy with the results of last night's game. But how would you have us act ?
Instead of congratulating them should we tell them to "drop dead, you got lucky" ? Or maybe we should just ban all Stanford fans from the Boneyard ?
And if UConn did end up as a 2 seed, they would have no one but themselves to blame. Congratulating the Stanford fans would have nothing to do with the final seedings.

HGN

Reaction Score
Stuff happens guys and gals......Eighty-five (85) percent of the time UConn and Geno wins those games. This game fell into that 15 percent bracket. And UConn lost. To lose by 2 in overtime at Maples is a victory of sorts. Stanford normally wins well over 90 percent of these games on their home floor by far more than 2 in their Conference. Amber Orrange hit a great contested 3 pointer with less than 2 sec. on the clock to send the game into OT....How often would she do that?

If this game was played 10 times UConn wins 7 .

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Well, if we end up a #2 seed because of a loss in the second game in November, on the road, that means that three other teams besides Stanford had extraordinary seasons, or, we take another loss or two along the way.
Even if that happens, being a #2 seed means that we still host first and second round games, and that, at a neutral site regional, we'd be the #2 seed. If "S" curve seeding holds - and, I know too well that there are other considerations that take precedence - likely,, we'd be dealing with the weaker #1 seed, which, ideally we wouldn't face until the "Final Four" first-round game .., but, a team we'd have to face sooner or later, anyway.

In short, Pap, I don't think being a #2 seed makes a whole heckuva lot of difference, if the regionals are at neutral sites, much less the Final Four. You're playing the team, or the equivalent team, that you'd have to beat anyway at this point in the season. Just gotta wear the darker shirts.

Much, much more important than a loss in November, and the resultant seeding, is how the team is playing in March. If they're playing the way that they seem capable of, #1 vs. #2 seeding doesn't matter. If they're playing with the same flaws exposed last night, the seeding won't matter much either.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
What is this "didn't show up" crapola? The team had a bad night. Most of the players had individual bad nights. It happens. Any of y'all ever have a bad day at work? The implication in "didn't show up" that they had bad days because they did not take the game seriously is, imho, slanderous. These kids bust their butts to win, all the time. To expect them to play perfectly every time out is neither reasonable nor just. You can try your damndest and still screw up.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
It's just one game in which the opponent played better. It happens, although not very often to UCONN.

UCONN has an opportunity to restore order when you travel to ND. Some are acting as if this loss eliminated UCONN from winning a national championship.

Reaction Score

Couldn't disagree with you more. As Geno said after the game: "Sometimes, because of who we are, the biggest story is that we lost, not that Stanford played really great and won and that would be unfortunate. That would be a disservice to Stanford, but that's the reality, that's the world we live in".

No one understands the concept that "the object of the game is to win" better than Geno Auriemma. No one. But being gracious in defeat is just the right way to act. We should expect it from teams that we beat and we should expect it of ourselves.

That being said, it's perfectly natural and healthy for the coaches and players to be really, really pissed and address the mistakes made in the game so that they don't happen again. Throwing the "key players" and the coaching staff under the bus is counterproductive.

I really believe that we will be better in the long run because of this loss.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
Couldn't disagree with you more. As Geno said after the game: "Sometimes, because of who we are, the biggest story is that we lost, not that Stanford played really great and won and that would be unfortunate. That would be a disservice to Stanford, but that's the reality, that's the world we live in".

No one understands the concept that "the object of the game is to win" better than Geno Auriemma. No one. But being gracious in defeat is just the right way to act. We should expect it from teams that we beat and we should expect it of ourselves.

That being said, it's perfectly natural and healthy for the coaches and players to be really, really pissed and address the mistakes made in the game so that they don't happen again. Throwing the "key players" and the coaching staff under the bus is counterproductive.

I really believe that we will be better in the long run because of this loss.
I never said the TEAM shouldn't be gracious in defeat. Of course they should. What ticks me off is posters who come on with this "nice try girls... we'll get 'em next time... great job Stanford...." stuff. It's baloney.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom