Francona blast Sox owners in new book | The Boneyard

Francona blast Sox owners in new book

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
''They told us we didn't have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle,'' Epstein is quoted as saying. ''We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We'd become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be.''
Sounds like Tito was pissed.
I'm not a fan of having multiple owners for any sports team if they are going to jump in and out of managing team.

Reaction Score
Nice to see the Pink Sox Nation calls the shots in Beantown these days.

Reaction Score
''They told us we didn't have any marketable players, that we needed some sizzle,'' Epstein is quoted as saying. ''We need some sexy guys. Talk about the tail wagging the dog. This is like an absurdist comedy. We'd become too big. It was the farthest thing removed from what we set out to be.''
Sounds like Tito was pissed.
I'm not a fan of having multiple owners for any sports team if they are going to jump in and out of managing team.
I don't disagree with what you said but I think it is true that any team out there needs to have fan appeal. Normally this is done by playing winning baseball but not always. That first great Red Sox team of 2004 was full of characters. Even if they were not winning the fans would turn out to see Pedro pitch or hoping to see Manny or Papi hit one out. The team that would hit the field in 2013 is like a sugar-free vanilla milk shake.

Reaction Score
Nice to see the Pink Sox Nation calls the shots in Beantown these days.

Indeed. Reading the excerpt in SI was painful. It wasn't enough to win, or to win a world series, or even two, let alone after an 86 year drought. No, the owners wanted them to win "exciting". Unreal.

What is really lame is that Epstein took their advice when he should have told them all to STFU. Talk about sabotaging a winning formula so you can find out first hand the one thing worse than a team that "only" wins but without drama... a team that DOESN'T win.

Reaction Score
Theo and Tito made for a good combination. Theo would keep the owners at bay and stocked the team with quality players. He was not afraid to spend. Tito was very good at managing a clubhouse full of egos and handled the media very well. The results were very good - not unlike Cashman and Torre in the Yankees glory days.

Now the Sox have Cherrington who will not or cannot spend but has picked up some good "character" guys. Farrell should not have the clubhouse issues that Tito faced but will he have the horses?

On the other hand, their number one rival, the Yankees, have done almost nothing in the postseason to improve the team and may be facing a "bridge" year. Cashman must have strict orders to keep the salaries below a certain level. Does Joe have the horses? Could the Yankees and Red Sox finish 4/5 in the AL East?

Reaction Score
Theo and Tito made for a good combination. Theo would keep the owners at bay and stocked the team with quality players. He was not afraid to spend. Tito was very good at managing a clubhouse full of egos and handled the media very well. The results were very good - not unlike Cashman and Torre in the Yankees glory days.

Now the Sox have Cherrington who will not or cannot spend but has picked up some good "character" guys. Farrell should not have the clubhouse issues that Tito faced but will he have the horses?

On the other hand, their number one rival, the Yankees, have done almost nothing in the postseason to improve the team and may be facing a "bridge" year. Cashman must have strict orders to keep the salaries below a certain level. Does Joe have the horses? Could the Yankees and Red Sox finish 4/5 in the AL East?

No and Yes!!;)

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I hate that "character" crap. The Sox "character issues" were all the owners fault. They wouldn't let Tito touch Manny. If Manny could be Manny, why couldn't others be Manny? Francona knows that you can't have two sets of rules. He didn't "lose" the clubhouse. The way they slimed Tito still bothers me. It bothers me so much that I find myself not rooting for Liverpool. And I was a fan before those clowns took over.

Reaction Score
Just finished the book and there is nothing shocking in it. The Manny situation ate away at Tito because Henry protected Manny. Tito had a good relationship with Theo and pretty much went through him to communicate with management.
Henry was a big believer in stats (he was an options investment expert) and would make lineups based upon stats and send them to Tito which drove Tito nuts. Theo would smooth things over.
Overall, the book does give the reader a good look at how major league baseball teams operate but other than that I thought it was pretty boring. Except for Manny, Tito really doesn't throw anybody under the bus.

Reaction Score
I hate that "character" crap. The Sox "character issues" were all the owners fault. They wouldn't let Tito touch Manny. If Manny could be Manny, why couldn't others be Manny? Francona knows that you can't have two sets of rules. He didn't "lose" the clubhouse. The way they slimed Tito still bothers me. It bothers me so much that I find myself not rooting for Liverpool. And I was a fan before those clowns took over.
Actually Tito met with the team regarding Manny and pretty much to man they wanted Manny in the lineup. Ortiz asked Tito if he could talk to Manny before the team did anything about the problems but Ortiz came back and said do whatever you want, I can't do anything with him.. Manny wasn't disliked by his teamates but he wasn't close to any either including Ortiz. Latter on his teamates just wanted Manny gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom