Former NBA greats who are forgotten. | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Former NBA greats who are forgotten.

Reaction Score
Absolutely one of the best. A good argument could be for several pitchers. Gibson, Catfish, Palmer, Seaver, Maddox, Rivera, Marichal just to name a few. My point was if you asked me who I thought were best 2 my answer would be Koufax and Pedro. In that order.
You forgot a few seasons of Randy Johnson

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dave DeBusherre
A really steady and consistent banger, with a good outside shot. All around game, and good defender and team player.

Had a work ethic of always showing up to play.

This clip from Google, best sums up his game:

The heart and soul of the great New York Knick teams of the 1970s and a member of championship teams in 1970 and 1973, DeBusschere had a quietly potent offensive game that was effective from both inside and outside.

Reaction Score
Yao Ming.

Not from way back when, but had he not been hurt and had to prematurely retire, he would have been one of the greatest centers.

In this first game, a head to head with Shaq, I think he blocked Shaq's first three shot attempts.

Yao could score and defend, and did some pretty funny TV commercials too.

Reaction Score
It seems to me a forgot NBA superstar in terms of NBA all time greatest is Wilt Chamberlain. Since the Lebron James Michael Jordan debate comes up a lot and Wilt isn’t even mentioned that I have heard. When I was watching Jordan become the greatest of all time it was said Wilt did things that Michael could never do. I was 1 when wilt stopped playing so I didn’t see it.

Reaction Score
Of course, Dolph Schayes’ son was an All Big East player for South Ontario.
If I remember correctly, Danny Schayes was the center on one of the most talented teams outside of Duke or North Carolina (Derrick Coleman at PF, Sherman Douglas at PG, and Billy Owens at SF), yet somehow Jimmy B managed to lose the NC to Bobby Knight’s Indiana Hoosiers, led by the immortal Keith Smart and Dean Garrett.

Thanks for the “memory.”

Reaction Score
Is Bill Walton on the list? Is he an "all time great"?
Hall of Famer Bill Walton? Yeah, more of an “all time great” than three-quarters of those listed here (most of whom were very good, at best).

Reaction Score
Hall of Famer Bill Walton? Yeah, more of an “all time great” than three-quarters of those listed here (most of whom were very good, at best).
He's also not forgotten, dude is on TV more than Seacrest.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I love the Boneyard where forgotten NBA greats range from Ric Smits and John Starks to Sandy Koufax and Kevin Ollie.
And you LIKE when Magic Johnson is mentioned?

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
You think Magic Johnson will be " forgotten by time?" If so, then this thread should be closed and we should all assume every great will be forgotten.

Honestly can’t tell if Deep’s post was sarcastic. You said it.

Reaction Score
You think Magic Johnson will be " forgotten by time?" If so, then this thread should be closed and we should all assume every great will be forgotten.
I do think this generation does not know just how good magic was.

Reaction Score
I used to love watching Alex English. It was really tough to get highlights in those days, if ESPN didn't have 'em I was SOL.

Reaction Score
I do think this generation does not know just how good magic was.
I think most people get it. There's a whole influencer reaction video community where young people freak out about Magic and Bird videos.

They're basketball royalty. From what I've seen Lebron is the only one who cracks into that tier of legends. Kobe is legendary and incredibly important to many people but he ain't with the big boys for most people from what I've seen. He's floating just outside witn Duncan for most.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think most people get it. There's a whole influencer reaction video community where young people freak out about Magic and Bird videos.

They're basketball royalty. From what I've seen Lebron is the only one who cracks into that tier of legends. Kobe is legendary and incredibly important to many people but he ain't with the big boys for most people from what I've seen. He's floating just outside witn Duncan for most.
I hope that’s true. I do think, or did think, Russell and Wilt were under appreciated. But Russell got a lot of attention when he passed. Young people tend to associate prior era players as less athletic, playing a slower, different game. Not those guys.

Reaction Score
Hal Greer. Jump shot from foul line. On a 1967 Philly team with Wilt, Chet the Jet Walker, Luke Jackson, Wally WonderI Jones and the kangaroo kid as 6th man (got to know who that was if you're an old NBA fan). Up there with best teams of all time.
I played some pick-up ball with Wally Wonder while at VU

Reaction Score
Vlade Divac
John Paxton
"Never nervous" Pervis Ellis
Marcus Price
Dikembe "Not in my house" Mutombo with that famous finger wag
Sam Cassell
Marc Eaton
Bryant "Huge Country" Reeves
Shawn Bradley
Reggie Miller