Former NBA greats who are forgotten. | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Former NBA greats who are forgotten.

Reaction Score
Dick Barnett was starter with Knicks 1st championship team. Then they traded for Earl the Pearl from the hated Bullets and won another while Dick remained as a sub.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Was he? I always thought he was overrated and benefited enormously from being able to play with Magic. If he was a different team is he a HOF'er?
Yep. 2003. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame :: James Worthy

Not sure people realize he was 6-9 225. There were not many, if any, guys that size with his athleticism back in that era. He didn't shoot from outside then, because that wasn't the game. Worthy was usually the Lakers leading scorer in the playoffs.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Bob McAdoo. I remember my Dad buying me a pair of McAdoo Pony's when I made the Mill Ridge Primary hoops team in 5th grade. That was the highest level of my basketball career and still the most memorable shoes I've ever owned.

Reaction Score
Seattle supersonics backcourt of Gus Williams and Dennis Johnson.
Bobby Dandridge was unstoppable when he was clicking.
Bob Love and Norm Van Lear of the old Chicago Bulls. Phil Chenier of the old Bullets.

Reaction Score
"The Greyhound", Walter Davis. Rookie of the year for the Suns in 1978. Smooth stroke on the run... Just a great player.

Reaction Score
A little off this topic. Danny Ainge is the only person to be first team high school
All-American in three sports (basketball, football and baseball). What kind of Nil would a high school senior, with those credentials be offered these days?

Reaction Score
Yep. 2003. The Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame :: James Worthy

Not sure people realize he was 6-9 225. There were not many, if any, guys that size with his athleticism back in that era. He didn't shoot from outside then, because that wasn't the game. Worthy was usually the Lakers leading scorer in the playoffs.

My point being if he wasn't on a team with a historically famous fast break where he could catch the ball in stride for easy buckets, would he still be a HOF'er? If Cleveland keeps that pick that they traded for no reason and he wallows on that terrible squad for 10 years, are we defining him as great? He definitely was a rare athletic specimen for his day, but...

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My point being if he wasn't on a team with a historically famous fast break where he could catch the ball in stride for easy buckets, would he still be a HOF'er? If Cleveland keeps that pick that they traded for no reason and he wallows on that terrible squad for 10 years, are we defining him as great? He definitely was a rare athletic specimen for his day, but...
Lakers couldn't have run that fast break without him. Not sure how it works to imagine some alternate reality. Is Tom Brady a HOFer if the Jets draft him and probably never let him off the bench? Might never have started a game. Worthy was the #1 pick in the draft for a reason.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom