Football Bowl Committee | The Boneyard

Football Bowl Committee

Status
Not open for further replies.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Now that the playoff has been determined and a committee will be set up, it leads me to start wondering what will be used to determine the selection of teams. My guess is it will rely heavily on polls and conferences and such. However, I then look at the Basketball Tourny committee and see how they want teams to play tougher OOC teams. Will they do the same for football? Could we start seeing the power teams not feeding on MAC, Sun Belt, C-USA teams? If so, it will be every interesting to see how teams schedule in the future. Unfortunately, most football teams have schedules set for the next 7-10 years. But why not break that?

I think after the first year of playoffs, 2014, you'll see feedback being given, similar to basketball, and power teams changing their schedules to play bigger opponents. No more directional schools, unless they are decent and no more feasting on the Kent St, Miami (OH), Eastern Michigans of the world.

While I'm skeptical of the Big East's role in this new playoff, I think it has the chance to lead to better regular season OOC games. It should make the first few weeks, before conference play, become more exciting and interesting to watch. I bet you wouldn't even be having a convo about Michigan backing out on UConn to play a lesser opponent in Eastern Michigan.

Reaction Score
Strength of schedule won't be a problem for teams in the B10, B12, SEC or P12. Those guys can continue to schedule lower quality teams for the few OOC games because all they have to do is win their conference and they are most likely in the playoff. Teams from the BE and possibly the ACC and other conferences are not assured of getting into the playoffs even if they go undefeated unless they start scheduling (beating) good teams from the aforementioned conferences.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think that will be necessary for the power conferences. A MBB committee model is the best we can hope for.

The metrics used will likely be in this order:

Number of losses
Media hype
Perceived SOS
Conference champ?
Actual SOS

And the pecking order of entrants will be the same as now:

SEC #1
ND, Texas, Mich, Osu, USC
B1G champ
Other P12/B12 champ
SEC #2/ACC champ
Best remaining team.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Strength of schedule won't be a problem for teams in the B10, B12, SEC or P12. Those guys can continue to schedule lower quality teams for the few OOC games because all they have to do is win their conference and they are most likely in the playoff. Teams from the BE and possibly the ACC and other conferences are not assured of getting into the playoffs even if they go undefeated unless they start scheduling (beating) good teams from the aforementioned conferences.

The Pac 12 is really not a great conference. Very top heavy after USC and Oregon. Let's see how Stanford fares post-Luck.

My biggest gripe right now is that I wish being a conference champion was a requirement. But this is a good first step. Next step is expanding the playoff to include 6 or 8 teams. They (university presidents, conference commissioners) were not going to go Full Monty in this first phase. But that will come. I'm encouraged.

Reaction Score
"I'm encouraged." I am too but I was hoping for closer to 6-8 years with this new format not 12. Can it be changed after a few years to include more teams or do we have to wait at least until 2026?

I prefer a 6 team playoff where the top 2 seeds get a 1st round bye.

Reaction Score
I actually think its far more likely that the power conferences decide not to ever play teams in the Big East/ACC/MWC, specifically to keep those schools strength of schedules down and ensure that the top 4 teams are all coming from the power conferences.

There is absolutely no reason for Michigan to travel to UConn in this new setup. The reality is, UConn is now a Division 1-AA team.

I've been whining for years that a playoff would ruin college football, particularly college football in the Big East and ACC. Ironically, now my only hope is to beg for a LARGER playoff that would be more inclusive.

pj

Reaction Score
Sean, I don't think it will play out that way. If the east coast is ostracized, they lose a large TV audience and money goes down. It's not in their interest to turn college football into a regional thing like NASCAR. And if eastern football did drop in relative strength, you'd see national brands more eager to come out for easy wins plus building market share in the large eastern markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle

Top Bottom