FiveThirtyEight Blog- So now..... | The Boneyard

FiveThirtyEight Blog- So now.....

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
According to that blog, UConn has a 74% chance of winning it ALL. The erstwhile odds-on favorite to win it ALL? Baylor?

As Rosanne Rosanna-Dana used to say: "Never mind."

2017 March Madness Predictions

I'm not following your point. Are you suggesting that Baylor was the favorite (they were, very briefly, and very appropriately).

Reaction Score
I'm not following your point. Are you suggesting that Baylor was the favorite (they were, very briefly, and very appropriately).

Just tweaking Fivethirtyeight Blog's nose a bit. They kept putting UConn's chances of winning lower and lower. Until the Elite Eight games, Baylor was the favorite, and UConn less than even money. Now a day or two later, we're the CAN'T-MISS team in the tournament. Just sort of funny how they've jumped around. 538 is sponsored by ESPN, so these guys are supposed to be the pros.

Just for fun....

Wonder where Massey is going to put UConn? That site has been extraordinary in calling the wins, and also calling the final scores really well!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I disagree with that "appropriately" part because UCONN beat a healthier Baylor team earlier in the year. Baylor did nothing to justify being the favorite in a rematch.

Reaction Score
A quick look at Massey shows UConn about 83% to win semis and 68% to win it all.
SCar is 52% semis and 12% finals!

Reaction Score
All 538 does is calculate probabilities based on scores of games. They're not making predictions. Baylor was putting up scores that rivaled UConn all season. It's not designed to pick upsets unless the selection team screwed up the seedings in the first place, which happens more on the men's side.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
I disagree with that "appropriately" part because UCONN beat a healthier Baylor team earlier in the year. Baylor did nothing to justify being the favorite in a rematch.
They weren't a favorite in a rematch. The brief period was after Baylor won their second game and had to win four more but before UConn won their second game so had to win five more. The probability of beating Baylor was still in UConn's favor but they had to win one more game, which slightly reduce their overall probability of winning the whole thing.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
They weren't a favorite in a rematch. The brief period was after Baylor won their second game and had to win four more but before UConn won their second game so had to win five more. The probability of beating Baylor was still in UConn's favor but they had to win one more game, which slightly reduce their overall probability of winning the whole thing.
Still not buying it, not even briefly. I only got a B+ in probability and statistics but...
The probability of an undefeated team winning five games in a row has got to be better than the probability of 3 loss team winning 4 games in a row. Especially with a sample size of > 30.
Can we please have an retired or current math professor check my logic?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
And "odds-on" favorite doesn't just mean the favorite. It's a favorite with a less than even odds. UConn at 1-10 is odds-on. UConn at 6-5 is not odds-on.

Reaction Score
Actually, Baylor was a favorite in a rematch with UConn according to 538, after both teams had won their Sweet 16 games. UConn had slightly better overall odds to win the tournament, but only because Oregon was viewed as a much easier opponent than Mississippi State.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Still not buying it, not even briefly. I only got a B+ in probability and statistics but...
The probability of an undefeated team winning five games in a row has got to be better than the probability of 3 loss team winning 4 games in a row. Especially with a sample size of > 30.
Can we please have an retired or current math professor check my logic?
Phil crunches numbers and work with statistics for a living. I'm a financial analyst and I can't do what he does. Guy's a numerical brainiac.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Phil crunches numbers and work with statistics for a living. I'm a financial analyst and I can't do what he does. Guy's a numerical brainiac.
lol. Well my little B+ is probably not going to hold up against all that brain power so I'll yield back the balance of my time. :D:D

Reaction Score
More than anything, this probably shows that using score differentials start to produce questionable results when teams are blowing out opponents by 30-60 points. A few days ago, 538 had this to say about the model's results:

The huge disparity between our model and the markets suggests that it’s worth having some skepticism toward our model results. In general, models are at their worst when it comes to extreme outliers, which UConn certainly has been. For one thing, it can be hard to tell their true strength, because so many of their games are fairly noncompetitive. For another, you would normally expect a team that has performed like UConn this year to be a little worse than it looks — because of regression to the mean — but in UConn’s case, we have a lot of corroborating evidence. Namely, that this season’s performance isn’t even that much of an outlier, for them.

Reaction Score
And Massey now has a prediction for the score of Connecticut versus Mississippi State:

Massey Ratings

77-67: Connecticut wins!

If it were 538, that plus two bucks would get you a cup of coffee. But Massey has been surprisingly good.

Let's hope his track record remains strong!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Just tweaking Fivethirtyeight Blog's nose a bit. They kept putting UConn's chances of winning lower and lower. Until the Elite Eight games, Baylor was the favorite, and UConn less than even money. Now a day or two later, we're the CAN'T-MISS team in the tournament. Just sort of funny how they've jumped around. 538 is sponsored by ESPN, so these guys are supposed to be the pros.
When a team whose probability of winning the tournament was in the 40-50% range is eliminated from the tournament (and thus has 0% chance to win), then of course the remaining teams are going to see their win probabilities go up dramatically. I don't see anything surprising or discrediting about that.

In the NFL, if a team with a 10% chance of winning the Super Bowl doesn't make the playoffs, then of course the other teams will see their chances increase (that 10% that no longer exists has to go to somebody). Why should you expect anything else?

Reaction Score
When a team whose probability of winning the tournament was in the 40-50% range is eliminated from the tournament (and thus has 0% chance to win), then of course the remaining teams are going to see their win probabilities go up dramatically. I don't see anything surprising or discrediting about that.

In the NFL, if a team with a 10% chance of winning the Super Bowl doesn't make the playoffs, then of course the other teams will see their chances increase (that 10% that no longer exists has to go to somebody). Why should you expect anything else?

Yeah, sure. But the team that was eliminated was the one that 538 had as the favorite to win the championship! So, yes, now it makes sense to raise the odds.

Reaction Score
The proof is in the pudding---the proof of what you see---the proof is in the loss---that the apparent experts (one who is given the job of expert)--missed the boat--- I think it was the Wizard of OZ ---the only thing you need to be a great thinker was a certificate--and he handed them out. A piece of paper is only really needed for one use. If you can do it -you do it.

Reaction Score
And Massey now has a prediction for the score of Connecticut versus Mississippi State:

Massey Ratings

77-67: Connecticut wins!

If it were 538, that plus two bucks would get you a cup of coffee. But Massey has been surprisingly good.

Let's hope his track record remains strong!
Massey has Stanford vs. USCr 66 - 67 almost even.
Massey Ratings

Reaction Score

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom