Financial Loss at Rentschler Field | The Boneyard

Financial Loss at Rentschler Field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The situation at Rentschler Field, the other property run by Global Spectrum, is also not going well. The CRDA projects losses of $350K. Football revenues were down significantly with the regular season home finale for the Huskies against Southern Methodist University drawing just 5,200. The BYU game, the regular season and home opener, drew 35,150 and was the best attended game of the season.

A major soccer event in the summer according to Freimuth prevented the building from having its worst year since the facility opened in 2003.

http://www.howlings.net/2015/01/09/cantlons-corner-critical-update-on-the-future-of-the-xl-center/

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The situation at Rentschler Field, the other property run by Global Spectrum, is also not going well. The CRDA projects losses of $350K. Football revenues were down significantly with the regular season home finale for the Huskies against Southern Methodist University drawing just 5,200. The BYU game, the regular season and home opener, drew 35,150 and was the best attended game of the season.

A major soccer event in the summer according to Freimuth prevented the building from having its worst year since the facility opened in 2003.

http://www.howlings.net/2015/01/09/cantlons-corner-critical-update-on-the-future-of-the-xl-center/
Clearly we should build an on campus stadium then. The Rent just isn't working out.

Reaction Score
The deficit can easily be made up by winning football games.

Also, how about hosting a winter classic hockey tournament with top teams only. The setup may be costly, so make it a 3 day event. I wonder if the nhl would consider participating? NY vs Boston is a sellout of 42k with temp seats. The rent would be a good configuration and size for this and obviously great pre-hockey tailgating.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

I knew that 23K number seemed a bit high. In fact, I think 5,200 seems high! :)

Dooley

Reaction Score
Wait the crowd at SMU was really 5200?

It was announced at 23K, but I was there and there is zero chance that there were more than 10K inside that stadium at its peak (2nd quarter). There were fans watching under cover of the 2nd deck but not enough to claim more than 5K fans.

Reaction Score
Normally this would be good news pushing Malloy to prod the program into a P5 conference while expanding the stadium. Unfortunately, in Connecticut the taxpayers will eat the loss while promoting do nothing people like Jim Abromaitis into higher paying jobs.

Reaction Score
It was announced at 23K, but I was there and there is zero chance that there were more than 10K inside that stadium at its peak (2nd quarter). There were fans watching under cover of the 2nd deck but not enough to claim more than 5K fans.
I was there too.

Dooley

Reaction Score
I was there too.

In that case, we likely stood right next to each other. I stood next to somebody and there is only a 5000/1 chance it was you. Better than 5000/1 odds in the 2nd half. :)

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
What the hell does the management company do, exactly. From the outside, it appears that they Accept the UConn schedule and stop working for the rest of the year. How about concerts, monster trucks (I loathe this idea but money is money) more soccer matches (try to host one Revs game a year or something), hockey, freaking anything. Use the damn building.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Are you guys insane?

Did you see how much money was lost the last time they tried hockey?

Reaction Score

As Yogi said... It's deja vu all over again... http://articles.courant.com/2012-08...20830_1_facilities-manager-venue-depreciation

>>The 40,000-seat sports and entertainment venue has an annual depreciation expense of $2.1 million, which reflects the cost to build the $91 million stadium spread over time. That accounts for much of the $2.4 million loss in the fiscal year ending June 30, 2011.<<

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
How much? Who played? When?

What? 2011. It was like Mad Max after the AHL game. The wind was blowing over the portolets.

My nephew's 10 year old team played in one of the sessions. They charged me like $15 to get in and it was so cold I had to leave.

They had a Whalers alumni game, an AHL game, some college games I think and a bunch of youth games over 3 days.

I'm pretty sure the financials of it led Baldwin to lose the AHL team in the end.

Reaction Score
What? 2011. It was like Mad Max after the AHL game. The wind was blowing over the portolets.

My nephew's 10 year old team played in one of the sessions. They charged me like $15 to get in and it was so cold I had to leave.

They had a Whalers alumni game, an AHL game, some college games I think and a bunch of youth games over 3 days.

I'm pretty sure the financials of it led Baldwin to lose the AHL team in the end.

Lol, I would expect UConn Hockey or the nhl to fare better, but if the port o johns are blowing over, who knows. Who would have expected it to that cold in the northeast during winter?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Lol, I would expect UConn Hockey or the nhl to fare better, but if the port o johns are blowing over, who knows. Who would have expected it to that cold in the northeast during winter?

Yeah the NHL who has gone out of their way to avoid Hartford has their choice of cities to play an outdoor game in and will probably settle on Hartford.

That's a totally viable concept. Maybe they can get the Jets and Patriots to play a game there too.

pj

Reaction Score
Yeah the NHL who has gone out of their way to avoid Hartford has their choice of cities to play an outdoor game in and will probably settle on Hartford.

That's a totally viable concept. Maybe they can get the Jets and Patriots to play a game there too.

I'd like to see 3-on-3 hockey in the Rockefeller Center rink.

Reaction Score
Lol, I would expect UConn Hockey or the nhl to fare better,

UConn Men/Women played a doubleheader. Men against Sacred Heart - Women against Friars. Under 2k combined. Maybe Hockey East tilt would draw better but...

Reaction Score
I like how all the loudmouths ignored the husky medic post.

It's an accounting loss NOT a net economic loss. Fact is - and I've said it 100 times - we could easily expand that stadium. Easier than Louisville or Rutgers did. Look at the Cost in 2002-2003. Refinance at today's low rates & voila you have 52,000.

I get how far the PP & Diaco years have dropped us. I'm pissed at what our investment in UConn Football has become. It's not ignored. There's no way anyone in the power positions can be happy with what's gone on.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I like how all the loudmouths ignored the husky medic post.

It's an accounting loss NOT a net economic loss. Fact is - and I've said it 100 times - we could easily expand that stadium. Easier than Louisville or Rutgers did. Look at the Cost in 2002-2003. Refinance at today's low rates & voila you have 52,000.

I get how far the PP & Diaco years have dropped us. I'm pissed at what our investment in UConn Football has become. It's not ignored. There's no way anyone in the power positions can be happy with what's gone on.

This is gold.

The loudmouths were discussing the viability of hockey at Rentschler which has nothing to do with the accounting behind the losses.

The best part of course being that his link references the financial debacle that the hockey fest was.

If only these idiots would spend tens of millions to expand a stadium that hosted it's last game at 1/8 of capacity. They should do it because money is cheap who cares about an actual need.

Why won't you idiots tack ten thousand seats onto an empty stadium? God you are stupid.

Reaction Score
2016 Winter Classic is all but decided to be at Gillette next year with accompanying college game(s). NHL at Rentschler ain't happening.

Reaction Score
2016 Winter Classic is all but decided to be at Gillette next year with accompanying college game(s). NHL at Rentschler ain't happening.

How can Gillette host a Winter Classic in January when it is 50/50 in any given year that the Pats will be hosting NFL playoff games there? Best bet would be Fenway or (gulp) Alumni stadium at BC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom