Not open for further replies.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Last edited:

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
So let's see. Request denied. Appeal to internal committee denied. We think she was tampered with. Now we don't think she was tampered with. We all want her released. Let's write a letter to the administration saying we want to release her even though we didn't when we had the chance. Sorry, can't release you. Committee's decision is binding. Just kidding, we can release you.

Nice and easy. A real model of efficiency is K-State.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
"Kansas State, citing a newly modified institutional policy, will allow guard Leticia Romero to transfer after all."

Now that's funny.

Geez took them long enough.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Talk about blowin' smoke! Or smokin' the wrong stuff! Currie was quoted as saying, "We appreciate the support of K-State fans during this difficult time."

The suggestion that anyone in the K-State community was supportive of how this matter was handled is beyond belief.

Reaction Score
Well its over...Lets get on with supporting our girls at UCONN.I will say....My wife is a MTSU grad...Its a really nice school.

Reaction Score
I just received the following:

Kirk Schulz [mailto:kirks@ksu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:00 PM

Subject: Re: Leticia Romero

*****- she was released this morning.

Kirk

Sent from my iPhone

In response to my email:

You are known by your actions. A program is known by what they do and how they treat their people. It is quite simple, if you operate without integrity and act petty then you will only recruit players that have those characteristics. If you treat recruits with a lack of class you will only have a second class program. Do the right thing….RELEASE LETICIA ROMERO!!!

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Kibitzer: You'll be surprised at how many KState fans supported the Athletic Department and thought that Leticia was a spoiled athlete or should just leave KState and pay her own way.

You are right and I am surprised. Like hearing that lots of folks pour ketchup on a porterhouse steak.

Reaction Score
Would like to think that BY Posters that wrote to KSstate President and others helped KState see the light. Leticia's story on KState not allowing her release seemed to be gaining more momentum as time went on. Bad PR for them.

As much as we Boneyarders would like to think we wield great power, we don't. However, the virtually unanimous criticism by the horde of national, regional and local media outlets certainly held a great deal of power.

Good luck, Leticia! Go out and find your place to be happy. And if you perchance play KState in any OOC, pre-season or post-season tourneys - go out and drop 50 on 'em!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
So let's see. Request denied. Appeal to internal committee denied. We think she was tampered with. Now we don't think she was tampered with. We all want her released. Let's write a letter to the administration saying we want to release her even though we didn't when we had the chance. Sorry, can't release you. Committee's decision is binding. Just kidding, we can release you.

I think that just about sums it up. Great post!!

Reaction Score

Forgot the step after Committee's decision is binding...quickly gather to modify institutional policy as a CYA measure so we can save face (followed policy) while getting those Boneyard nut cases out of our hair - and the media too.

Otherwise, perfect summary.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I am very glad of the outcome but, really, what "new information" are they talking about? Simply a cessation of unwarranted suspicion by the AD? That is not information, that is called sobering up. Or something like that.

On edit; I just read the revised policy, and it is still stupid. They changed it just enough to wiggle out of this particular PR disaster.

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Be interesting to see where she winds up.
Duke could use a decent guard.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I wonder if we will ever know just how many emails, tweets, etc. KSU got over the past couple of weeks, and whether they played a part in the decision. It would also be interesting to know just what Currie's popularity rating with the KSU brass is at this point.

pap49cba

The Supreme Linkster
Reaction Score
I wonder if we will ever know just how many emails, tweets, etc. KSU got over the past couple of weeks, and whether they played a part in the decision. It would also be interesting to know just what Currie's popularity rating with the KSU brass is at this point.
We will never know but I have to believe they played a part. Jay Bilas called for people to write and he has a lot of followers. It certainly didn't hurt nor did the basically unanimous disapproval from many in the sports media.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I just received the following:

Kirk Schulz [mailto:kirks@ksu.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, May 27, 2014 2:00 PM

Subject: Re: Leticia Romero

- she was released this morning.

Kirk

Sent from my iPhone

In response to my email:

You are known by your actions. A program is known by what they do and how they treat their people. It is quite simple, if you operate without integrity and act petty then you will only recruit players that have those characteristics. If you treat recruits with a lack of class you will only have a second class program. Do the right thing….RELEASE LETICIA ROMERO!!!

Do you know Pres. Shulz personally? He has not replied to me and I wrote to him at least a dozen times. Respecttfully too. I feel dissed.

JS

Reaction Score
"Kansas State, citing a newly modified institutional policy, will allow guard Leticia Romero to transfer after all."

Now that's funny.
You don't know HOW funny. Only those interested in administrative appeals process may wish to read further.

Currie wrote a proposed new policy that's ludicrous.

All legaled-up, AD has X number of days to start a review of the Appeals Committee's review of his own initial decision based on new information [talk about tailored to a specific case] etc. Then everything becomes "final."

Totally misses several points about how this should work:

1. The Appeals Committee exists to provide an avenue of review of a negative decision by the AD. The AD should always have the power to make a positive decision. No need to limit himself to 15 days to start a review after the Committee acts or to limit his reason for doing so ("new information" whitewashes that the original decision may have been negligent, a mistake, or worse, ill-motivated).

2. The Committee decision does need some finality on the facts presented. You can't keep making appeals just because you don't like what you got in your first appeal. But even the Committee should be able to revisit a mistake on their part.

3. The AD's adverse decision never needs to be final. Why write rules to handcuff yourself from acting in the student athlete's best interest based on new developments of whatever sort? This is an educational institution. It's the essence of intellectual rigor to discard prior conclusions when warranted by further examination.

This "finality" crapola is just trying to lend credence to the school's prior resort to that excuse. "Oooo, it's final and binding. There's no procedure for dealing with it. We can't do justice. We're helplessly floating in the current of our own irreversible decision process."

Bull, as they've repeatedly shown.

So now they've written a "new policy" -- to be followed in all future cases, mind you -- that makes no sense in terms of accepted administrative procedure.

To the contrary, it's very much oriented toward dressing up a series of blunders in a particular case as a lack of then-available procedures, rather than a pigheaded failure to deal competently and fairly with the case under existing procedures.

But never fear, this insufficiency of regulations is now heroically "remedied" -- with poorly conceived new regulations -- by the individual who pigheadedly caused the whole disastrous episode in the first place.

Is anyone surprised?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog